“Don't try to get a 4 top for two people even if it is early”
Review of Acme

Acme
Reserve with OpenTable
Acme is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 76 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The ovens are turned on early. Six o'clock most days. Earlier on Sunday. Within an hour, bread is rising, apples are being sliced. Pecan pies are pulled hot from the oven and left to cool. Ice cream churns in the machine. Cups of coffee steam on the prep table, the baker's cup marked with chocolaty fingerprints. By midmorning, pork shoulder, rubbed with spices the day before, is slowly smoked. And white buckets are filled with sliced onions. Corn is shucked. The stock that cooked all night is taken off the stove and strained. Bags of fresh shrimp are delivered in old grocery store bags. The waiters arrive in groups, shirts and ties on hangers. By then, every burner in the kitchen is being used. Herbs are chopped. Scallops cleaned. Ovens at 500 degrees. All sauces are checked. Bartenders polish their shakers. Silverware is rolled and every surface is wiped down. Music. Lights. Doors are opened. Dinnertime. At Acme. Seven nights a week. Local never tasted so damn good.
Reviewed November 23, 2012

While the food and service is very good, the attitude is not. I made a reservation for 2 through Open Table at 5:45 and requested a 4 top for 2 rather than a 2 top because we like the extra room.

I received a call from the restaurant and was asked was my request for a reason or just a preference. I said that it was a preference because we like the extra space, and was told in no uncertain terms that they would accomodate us, but it would be at a table of their choosing and not ours. I said OK.

After thinking about it and talking with my husband, I called and cancelled the reservation. If the restaurant were busy, I could understand that our request could not be accomodated, but every time we have been in the restaurant at 5:45 and finished by 7:15 there have been open tables.

There are plenty of good restaurants in the Chapel Hill area such as Elaine's and Provence that we don't have to put up with the attitude of Acme.

Too bad as the food is good.

1  Thank fudgbug

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I really don't want to write this review, and here's why. Because people are going to read it and then they're gonna want to eat at Acme and it's going to be even harder for me to get a table when I go. So, if you promise you won't eat there when I'm planning to, I'll write the darned review.

Acme is one of my favorite restaurants in Carrboro/Chapel Hill. I think Elaines on Franklin and Lantern are a notch above and I like Crook's Corner an awful lot, but Acme is right up there. I'm giving it five stars, and you can see that I reserve that ranking for special places.

Acme serves New South food with a large, stocked bar and a wonderful, warm dining room in downtown Carrboro. Last night for dinner, I had grilled pork chops, sweet potatoes and collard greens. Now, this is something that my mother or my grandmother would have cooked for dinner, but when Kevin Callaghan cooks it, it is somehow a totally different experience. I inhaled it.

Heck, I didn't even know I liked collards until I moved to Chapel Hill and had them prepared by the best!

My wife had pork shoulder and loved every bite. We never have anything that is less than splendid and we eat there often.

Kevin is also an amazing writer, as it turns out. You can check out Acme's website, but I would suggest that you subscribe to Kevin's e-mail updates if you like good writing. He can tell stories about food that bring back fabulous memories of growing up in the South.

They have a great patio out back with propane heaters in the fall.

So, eat at Acme Food & Beverage Company if you must, but check with me first. OK? Don't make me regret this. . .

1  Thank James C
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Went to ACME for a family meal with our college kids. Each loved their meals, crab cakes, scallops, and salmon. The service was friendly and timely. Dessert was Ok, but we admit to being dessert snobs at times. Love the atmosphere.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We enjoyed an excellent meal here. The food managed to combine flavours that I that I never would have imagined putting together but the result was delicious.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

On my first trip to visit Chapel Hill, North Carolina, I wanted to see (and taste) something different. "When in Rome..." as they say, so we wanted to try some classic Southern-style food. ACME was a great choice... the food was great, as was the service. We had a friendly waiter... he made one mistake, bringing us the wrong appetizer, and didn't hesitate to make it right, saying, "Well, why don't you eat that one while I run and get you the one you ordered." With 7 of us in the party, we tried plenty of their specialties and the reviews ranged from great to fantastic! They also had local beers for us to try, and when we described the type we like, his recommendations were spot on. I can't imagine they sell many desserts, however, as their portions are huge!