“A Superb Meal...in a wonderful little restaurant in Carrboro”
Review of Provence

Provence
Reserve with OpenTable
Provence is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 77 Restaurants in Carrboro
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Greensboro Street
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was our second trip to Provence...the first about three years ago, and we are looking at each other and saying "why didn't we go back sooner?". We have no logical answer to that question, because this is one of the very best the Triangle has to offer. Quiet, comfortable, superb service and excellent food...plus a most impressive wine list. We have a great time. We had early reservations (6:30) and got in ahead of the crowd, even on a Monday night ..it was busy. My Escargots Baked in Roquefort was piping hot and delicious. One of the best I've had. The Spinach and Mint Salad salad and Salade de Provence were both crisp, chilled and delicious. Two of our party ordered the Quatuor de Fruits de Mer Panaché
(Chef’s selection of four fish) and loved it; another the classic Sole Meunière which was also delicious, and I opted for the Tournedos au Sauce Poivre Vert...one of my favorite beef dishes, and it was spot-on. We shared very good desserts, excellent wine, and relaxed conversation in this little jewel of a place, in Carrboro. Nice that they have their own off street parking, and outdoor dining is available too. Highly recommended, and we won't let another couple of years go by before we return.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Made our first and recommended trip to Provence last Friday night. A nice quaint, old home with warm charm. Just off the hustle and bustle of the main street. The cheese plate app was very nice but could have used a few more crostini's. The main entrees of salmon, steak and duck were all cooked to perfection and delivered to our table within a minute of being plated. The wine was fantastic as well as the creme broulet. The only part I did not like was the waiter paying more attention to my wife than me. I would have liked a 2nd glass of wine myself but he took off so fast, delivered my wife's glass of wine then disappeared again. We will be back!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were disappointed in what we had been told was an outstanding restaurant. Although I am not a vegetarian, I was in the mood for something like the Cassoulet Végétarien. Everything on the plate was Very, Very Dry and not flavorful! Anyone who has ever had a Cassoulet in France knows that it is not a dry and tasteless dish. The seasonal vegetables (one branch of broccoli, one small mushroom and a 1/2 tomato) were also dry and unseasoned.
This entire dish said "vegetarians need not come here".
The wait staff was nice, but not at all professional. Perhaps they were collage students and not the career waitstaff you find in the better restaurants in France.

4  Thank Richard R
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I very much enjoy eating at Provence for special occasions (it is to pricey for a "I don't feel like cooking night"). We were recently thrilled to be able to purchase a local discount coupon for dinner there. A few nights before Valentine's Day we decided to have a midweek dinner to celebrate the upcoming holiday. We anticipated that not only would we avoid the crowds of Valentine's Day but would also be able to use our coupon and take advantage of one of their weekday specials. The day we chose had half priced glasses of wine. The wine list was nice as was most of our dinner. However, I was very disappointed with my salad. It was the special of the evening and sounded delicious when described by the waitress. The presentation was lovely - 5 types of lettuces in a fan spray with toasted nuts. However, the citrus dressing was tasteless. It was almost as though someone poured water over the salad by mistake. I ate the salad but without a tasty dressing it was a bit bitter. Our waitress seemed new and was not available during our appetizers to explain my disappointment. However, all other aspects of the meal were fine and delicious. I'm glad that we hadn't paid full price.

1  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Valentine's Day weekend is not an ideal time to go to any restaurant-higher prices, pre-fix menu, crowds, etc. Make this place an exception for every holiday, every birthday, every event that you need to celebrate. This unpretentious little place lives up to what every American French restaurant could hope for and more, it's truly authentic. Blink and you might miss the little renovated cottage, a setting that reminds you of coming to a friend's house for dinner. The choices are always elaborate in taste, unfussy in presentation, and the service is five-star. I recommend the escargot baked in garlic, tomato, herbs, and pastis. For the most part, I have been stuck ordering the beef choice on the menu, not because the other choices are not worthy, but mostly because just thinking about the beef makes me drool. The profiteroles are so light and fluffy, that you could almost convince yourself that they do not have any calories.
I have been to Provence many times, and each time I am not disappointed. This little place is absolutely pick-up-the-plate-and-lick-it worthy, every single time.