“Clean and Pet friendly”

Beacon House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Washington, District of Columbia, USASA
“Clean and Pet friendly”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We spent a week in the 3 bedroom cottage. We needed to bring our hypo allergenic Siberian cat along, because she is a people cat and would have been a psycho cat if we had locked her up in a cage for a week in the kennel. I am allergic to most cats and dogs, so I was unsure if I wanted to stay in a place that allowed pets even though I own one, because the dust and dander make me sneeze badly. So when we walked into this place we were very happy to see wood floors, actually engineered wood floors to be precise, which provide a tighter fit so it is easy to clean. So no carpet for all the pet dander and fur to hide in. The flooring look very new too and I did not sneeze once the whole time I was there. Which is saying something for how clean the place is!

The inside of the cottage was very clean and nice looking. The bedding was decent too and clean. Even the covers were clean which in some places do not wash often if ever.

The kitchen has a microwave that works. And the stove worked, but the vent above it does not. Actually, the vent is the only thing I would criticize in the whole setup since there is no screen on it from the outside so the flies can and do come in. It took a couple of days for us to realize that is how they were getting into the place. This is the only reason I did not give it a 5. I should have mentioned this to the staff so they could fix it, but I forgot. Me bad.

The beach is a short 2-3 minute walk from the cottage. It was easy to cross the street to get to the beach access. There is no sidewalk on the street right there, but there is a bike path and parking lot across the street to walk on safely.

The beach was excellent. About 100 ft of dunes and 100 ft of sand before the water.

Parking was easy.

Tammy and David were very helpful and cheerful! And we did put David through some work. We had to replace a door lock to the front door. The sand/beach had destroyed it, and he had it replaced in a couple of hours of being told about it. So the staff is very responsive.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. And we plan on going back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 10, 2010

If you've never tried a "bed and breakfast" this is the one to try. Inn keepers were wonderful and extremely responsive to our every need. Accomodations were lovely and especially enjoyed the time at breakfast talking to other guests. The beach was only a 3 minute walk across the street and restauralnts were close and reasonably priced.

Highly recommend this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I came over the 4th of July week-end with my grown son. We had a very small room but that was because my son didn't decide to come along till the last minute. The inn-keepers were very gracious and welcoming. The breakfasts were very good and filling. The Inn was nice, clean and well appointed.

Stayed July 2010
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We found the Beacon House Inn to be very warm and inviting. The innkeepers provide great southern hospitality. The traditional southern breakfast was quite good and filling. My husband is a vegetarian, and the innkeepers were more than gracious in accommodating this special dietary request. The inn is across the street from beach access and is within walking distance to many restaurants and local attractions. We really enjoyed relaxing in the evening on the verandahs with a glass of wine. The B&B is a great little getaway destination in Carolina Beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a quiet get-a-way and this was perfect. We had never stayed at a B&B and were a little leary. However, we have changed our minds and would definately return. The innkeepers, David and Tammy, would amazingly accomodating and friendly at every turn. The rooms were clean and cozy with a real old-fashioned beach house feel. The breakfast was five-star all the way (Dave is an awesome cook!!!). The verhandas were my favorite part, and the neighborhood cat was amusing company. Close to everything you want to do. And, Dave, we'll definately be goin' fishin'!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Everything was wonderful, the breakfast was delicious and filling- we didn't have to eat lunch! We spent our days on the beach- which is directly across the street and not crowded at all! The Inn was very quiet and we enjoyed meeting the other people staying there too. A great location to relax and unwind from the stresses of everyday life.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Had a wonderful experience at the Beacon House! Charming and comfortable house! Just steps from the beach. Very kind owners who have thought of everything you might need for your escape! Breakfast was amazing! Would highly recommend and I will definitely be staying again sometime soon!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple