“Great hosts, but poor breakfast”

Beacon House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed in this B&B for two nights off-season. The hosts are great and very friendly and we even got a free upgrade. The B&B is located in a very quiet street, about 50 yards from a beautiful beach. If you are into nightlife this place may not be for you but if you are looking for quiet and peace you will likely love it. Rooms (we tried two different ones) are a bit small but very nice and superclean. The breakfast was... terrible, but not for lack of trying. Honestly, I write this with no ill-feeling, because the hosts, like I said, were really great. But, without going into details, they just do not have a clue about cooking! Overall, I would go back and I would recommend this place. On the other hand, their peak season prices are high (like everywhere else in the area, as far as I can see) and probably I would choose another off-season period (and skip breakfast!).

Reviewed May 3, 2010

As we were looking for a weekend to relax, The Beacon House was in a nice location and the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent.

Our tip for others would be to carefully consider the rooms and the options that they offer. We were located in the main house and the noise level was louder that we anticipated. This was probably just due to loud voices and the coming and going of individuals in the common areas. I do believe that there are other options that would make this experience more relaxing.

I would recommend this B&B if we had stayed in a quieter area of the facility.

1  Thank Denise S
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We've only stayed at one other B&B, so I don't have a lot to compare to, but everything was as promised: friendly proprietors, comfy beds, clean rooms, good location, and really spectacular breakfasts. The only suggestions I would make for this to be an even better experience would be:
1. To have coffee available 24/7, perhaps by placing a small maker on top of the refrigerator on each floor and providing filter/cups/grounds
2. To have other beverages (e.g., sodas, bottled water) available 24/7 in the fridge--if not complimentary, then on the honor system.

1  Thank XtremeGardener
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Our stay at the Beacon House was absolutely amazing! This was our first B&B experience and the bar was set very high. Immediately upon check-in Tammy and David made us feel so welcome. The Beacon House was so warm and inviting it was very easy to relax. The breakfast that was served every morning was amazing. It was just like meeting in mom's kitchen before school. I am pretty sure that we saved a ton of money on lunch because breakfast kept us full all day. To top it all off...my husband and I got married on the beach. Tammy made our wedding day a true celebration. We enjoyed some champagne on the porch with new friends and the resident beach cat Noodles. Tammy even got us a delicious cake with the cutest little chocolate shells. The stay, the area, and the people could not have been better! We cannot wait to return! You are missing out until you stay at the Beacon House!

1  Thank bsuemily
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I was at Beacon House for business so I didn't get the full experience that was available. It is only a block off the beach and there is public access 1/2 block away. Tammy and Dave, the innkeepers, were great, as was the price for the location. I guess there aren't many B&Bs at Carolina Beach, so this is a prized find that I will visit again. I didn't get a chance to have breakfast so my review on that isn't informed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2010

The breakfast both mornings was so delicious! David makes a great breakfast! I loved the giant comfy bed, too. Tammy and David are friendly and helpful. They were very accommodating and even made some decaf coffee especially for me.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We came to the cottage for a weekend away from our husbands to do some rubber stamping. We stayed in cottage 3 and loved it. We had plenty of space to spread out and have fun making our hand-made cards. The shower was great! Although we did not get to have breakfast at the inn... we did think that Tammy and David were very hospitable and were very quick to make our stay the best.

The beach was just across the street and very easy to walk to. We stayed in the whole time due to nasty weather but there was a Food Lion not too far for easy grocery shopping.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends