“Clean, Comfortable, and Classy”

Beacon House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at the Beacon House because we had never stayed at a bed and breakfast before, and we were pleasantly surprised. When we arrived, everyone was very friendly. Our room had no toilet paper, but the staff were more than happy to toss us a roll. Our room was very cozy and warm. Be forewarned that if you come in December, all the shops will be closed.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 20, 2008

I travel with my dog and I love this place. They have two cottages where you can stay with pets. This time I stayed a week at cottage 3 with my 77 pound dog, and my sister and her family (two other adults and two children). It was the perfect size for three adults and two children and a dog. We cooked and ate dinner at the kitchen table every night but one when we went out for seafood at the Harbor Master restaurant where the food was excellent - I highly recomment the shrimp and cheese grits! The same night we ate out, it was a Thursday night and they always have fireworks at 9:00 every Thursday night at Carolina Beach so we then got to see the fireworks display. We took our own beach chairs and umbrellas to the cottage as we knew there were none available to rent but you can drive and get some at Walmart on College Road near UNC-Wilmington if you need any. The porch is an additional benefit as it makes the whole cottage seem roomier. I was worried about the one bath in the cottage for up to 6 people until I got there and was thrilled to find that the one bathroom and the one shower are separate so when someone was taking a shower, they were not hogging the bathroom as well. There was also an outside shower for getting the sand off when returning from the beach. I love to jump in my car with my dog and head to Carolina Beach Lake Park every morning and night where my dog can walk and interact with other dogs. The park even provides bags to pick up after your dog. Every Sunday the park has an outdoor movie for the kids. It also has paddle boats. Back to the B&B though. Bedding and towels are all provided. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are all a good size. The kitchen has a coffee maker and most any thing you might need pot and pan wise to cook meals. (There are many restaurants to go to if you want to eat out every night - I recommend driving to Kure Beach and trying some there as well) . The carpet had definitely seen better days but it is what I expect for a place at the beach where pets are allowed. What I really like about this place is you do not have to bring your own bedding, clean the place when you get there and then clean it (or have it cleaned) when you leave which is what one has to do when one rents most beach cottages. And usually the only way I can take my dog with me is to rent a beach cottage. Here, all you have to do is show up and make the beds. It is clean when you get there, you enjoy yourself for however long your reservation is for, and then you pack up and leave when your time is up. No dirty bedding, dirty towels or cleaning to worry about - you leave it all for the Inn to clean and replace. The staff do not bother you at all during your stay but they are only a phone call away if you have a question or concern. We could not connect to the wi fi and learned if was difficult in Cottage 3 since it is the farthest spot from the Inn but we found we could sit out on the porch and connect fine. The beach is across the street but is very convenient. If you want to go hang out at a comfortable place with your pooch (or two) and some family or friends, this is a great place.

Reviewed August 16, 2008

A great experience! Good food. Congenial and friendly staff! Just across the street from the beach. Within walking distance to the boardwalk area. Great two story front porch for relaxing on - at any tme. And the facilities were clean and neat and, attractive.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I have stayed at Many B&Bs, but none quite as lame as this one. The only benefit of this place was its location-it is actually located right across from the beach, but you would've questioned that given that many of the other "amenities" listed on their website and even in the room binder were no longer available. I asked for beach chair loans (listed on website ) and was told they no longer did that. i inquired about an evening snack and was told they no longer offer a snack(though it was listed in the room binder). Both times, jackie 9hist) asked where I saw that I could have these things and said she'd been meaning to update the website and binders. I asked for decaf coffee at breakfast and was told they did not offer decaf. The shower curtain was moldy. Upon arrival, I wanted to take a nap and pulled back the covers and the sheets were wet. It turns out, the bedding located below the sheets-mattress cover was still wet from the washer-instead of aplogizing, the host, jackie, made up an excuse for the wet sheets. I'm hoping they were wet from the wash and had nothing to do with the pee stains on the mattress cover. Our room did not have any soap and we had to request that too. It was pretty ridiculous. The breakfasts were okay, but nothing super fancy (which I did not expect after the above listed issues).
I was happy to get out of there and get home. Also, the rooms are tiny-like a sardine can and I'm not exaggerating-the pictures and info online are deceiving. I would not recommend this place to anyone unless they were desperate and there was nowhere ealse to stay in Carolina Beach.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My boyfirend and I chose to stay at this B&B instead of a hotel in order to escape our daily grind. Our expecations were exceeded by leaps and bounds. We stayed in the Romance Suite and were so pleased to find the most comfortable sofa around in the den area, a good size bathroom, and a comfortable bedroom. Jacki was exceptional at helping us plan our bike rides, walks, dinners, and anything else we came up with. We indulged in massages from Denise who was amazing and turned our Sunday into a day of staring aimlessly as we recovered from our wonderful massages. We will definately come back to enjoy the conversation, hospitality, and massages!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Stayed two nights in March, 2008 in the hot tub room. The room is spacious, the common areas comfortable, the hot tub clean, and the bed very comfortable. Jacki was very welcoming and knowledgeable about the area. Breakfast, while not gourmet, was filling and tasty and included fresh fruit, juice, and coffee along with the standard breakfast fare of eggs and meat or waffles and meat. The coffee was great.

Beach is a very short walk away and if you are up for a walk of a 6-8 blocks, you can get to a couple of decent restaurants from the B&B (check out the new Shuck N Shack for some very casual oysters and a beverage). The boardwalk area at Carolina Beach is struggling a little with lots of vacancy and some renovation work being done. However, if you want a relatively quiet beach getaway in a very comfortable house, with a fairly short drive into Wilmington, this is a good choice. Hikes at the nearby state park and a visit to the aquarium are pleasant additions.

I would definitely stay at this B&B on any future visit to Carolina Beach.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I visited the Beacon House (cottage #1) with my fiancee and we were pleased -- quiet location, very close to the beach, the fridge was stocked with breakfast items (bacon, eggs, milk, coffee, bread, OJ, cereal), and very clean and tidy. With just the two of us, there was plenty of room, but it may have been tight with additional folks or little ones. The innkeeper, Jackie, is very accomodating and nice; she made sure we had everything we needed. Carolina Beach, if you've never been, is unlike Myrtle Beach and other "touristy," party beaches. The speed here is a little slower, and the Beacon House matches that vibe well. So if you're looking to take it easy for your vacation, we recommend this spot.

Stayed: August 2007
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Carolina Beach Inn
Carolina Beach Inn
#1 of 3 in Carolina Beach

Been to Beacon House Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!