“During a very busy time”

Bowmans at the Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
nc
“During a very busy time”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Yes, we stopped by on a Sunday afternoon, prime family time, and they were packed. BUT they were ready for the crowd. Our wait time to be seated was zero. The waitress was quite attentive and saw that our needs were met quickly. Even when it was time for our check--no waiting.
The food was fresh, tasty, and plentiful. I do recommend the fried oysters.
The price was right, and the portions were VERY large.
Will come back again next time in town.

• Visited September 2013

“Unless you know what you're doing or are a risk-taker....,”
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

As an Exec Chef and business owner, and possessing a major pet peeve about all things Safety and Sanitation in culinary, I am exceptionally cautious and aware when our family eats out. It's with that background that I do my reviews. That said, I carefully contemplated a meal for my family at Bowmans. I read the reviews, several of which showed a number of folks having fallen ill after a meal here. We had little choice as they were the only non-bar open on Sunday lunch in the area. So, the safest to do was order all deep-fried, nothing edgy. The problem I have is very simple. Since WHEN and in WHAT alternate reality is it EVER a good idea to leave MAYO-based tarter sauce on tables without refrigeration all day???? I asked on my way out of the older lady who acted as hostess. Her response??? "Oh we've been doing that for all the 12-13 years I've worked here!" When I nudged a bit further about the safety she retorted with "Well we get inspected twice a year by TWO health inspectors and they've NEVER said anything about it being wrong. Besides ALL the seafood places around here do it." So, a call to the Board of Health Environmental Division was placed this morning to question this. They were as shocked as I was! To boot, the older hostess explained to me that "it's ok, we put the bottles in the fridge every night!" Really???? How often to you empty, wash, and refill with new, fresh product???? This is my guess why so many folks have been sickened in the past, but of course that is just my speculation and hypothesis based on experience, education, and good ol fashioned common sense. Why do you think mayonnaise salads at picnics is always such tricky business?!? Besides, if this ignorance is happening with something so basic as this, it worries me what else is going on out back that you CAN'T see. So, use your best judgement, folks. Knowing what I know now after our escapade, I won't chance my family's well-being here again.

1 Thank ChefCass
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
“Once again very good..”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

A lot of seafood for your money... Made several meals off of the order.. We had it delivered which was a great asset traffic was bad durning Labor Day weekend... A lot of extra sauces in the order.. I recommend Bowmans on ever trip to Carolina Beach.

1 Thank mamboman38
Greensboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“From the Ocean to the Kitchen to the Plate”
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I walked in the restaurant it was happy greetings. I tried this restaurant out just out the blue. The food and service was great. One lady with the glasses and another lady who was just as happy as she could be. She helped me choose something out on the menu and she did not steer me wrong. I wish i couldve took some of those hush puppies with me. I will return here again. Lol

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MHaygood93
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“A local who eats here”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

over the past 6 years i have eat at Bowmans many times. the food is consistent between orders and affordable for the working man. i go here whenever i want a good hot meal delivered fast. i am not a fast food person so the friendly waitress at the table with a family setting is my kind of place. i mostly order the fried shrimp and flounder dinners.

• Visited August 2013