“Great Calabash Style Fish...Without That Nasty Grease!!”

Bowmans at the Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Great Calabash Style Fish...Without That Nasty Grease!!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Bowmans is known for fish at Carolina Beach...and, now, I know why!! My husband and I ate here for the first time while at the coast last week and I must say, all the hype is true!! We both ordered the 2 item combo plate...one with baked potato, the other with great fries. The slaw is homemade and excellent, as are the hush puppies...dipped in a bit of butter. The fish, for Calabash Style, was surprisingly non-greasy and not overbreaded, as is usually the case in the best of fish houses. Shrimp were not the tiny, usual Calabash Style, but half a big as your palm...and simply delicious...best I have had outside of Savannah!! (Honestly!!). I can't say enough about our great new find except, we will return...on our next trip down this way!! "The" place for your seafood beach trip meal, indeed!!

• Visited May 2013

NC
“Like being at Calabash!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Being a fan of calabash style seafood, my wife and I were pleased to find Bowman's (at Carolina beach) during our recent trip to Kure beach. This restaurant looks and tastes like it belongs at Calabash (the seafood capitol of the world). I ordered a combination of fried oysters, scallops and deviled crab. The seafood was cooked to perfection in fresh peanut oil. The breading was light and crispy yet the seafood was not overcooked. The waitress was very nice and accommodating. The inside of the restaurant is decorated with fitting nautical decor. A life sized pirate statue even greets you as you come in the door! My only complaint was the baked potato. It was barely warm and unappetizing. This was partly my fault for opting out for the potato in lieu of their delicious french fries, which my wife wisely ordered. Highly recommended if you like fried, calabash style seafood!

• Visited May 2013
Davisville
“Great seafood”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stopped here on our first trip to Kure Beach in 2011 and make it a point to eat here at least once every trip. The food is coastal Carolina style and always fresh. The staff is friendly and the first server we had in 2011 remembered us by name when we went back last year. Service is quick and plenty to eat.

• Visited July 2012
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
“Consistently fresh and hot quality seafood with great service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have been regulars at Bowman's for many years and have always found the food to be fresh, served hot and quickly, regardless of the crowd. The wait staff is experienced and know their customers, many by first names.

When you are looking for great southern fried seafood with coleslaw, fries and hushpuppies, look no further!!

• Visited February 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Bowman at Carolina Beach is the like the old Faircloths.”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Bowman at Carolina Beach is the old Faircloths. But NO Smoking at all...Large platters and fresh seafood, lighty batter srimp an oysters, along with GREAT hushpuppies!!! Good ols southeastern NC fried sea food.

• Visited March 2012