“Great food, friendy folks”

Bowmans at the Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I like to have fresh seafood at Bowmans when I visit Carolina Beach. Fresh shrimp is my favorite and the hush puppies are really good. The only place I can eat a hush puppy. Gotta try the hush puppies!

1  Thank DeeFae
There are newer reviews for Bowmans at the Beach

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Don't be fooled by the ugly building in the less-than-pristine location. It may be "at the beach" but it is not on the beach. No scenic vistas or romantic atmosphere here. But what they do have is great old-fashioned fried NC seafood. Their hushpuppies are simply the best I've had in years. The slaw was far better than average. The plates are enormous (wife and I shared a "small plate" of fried flounder and barely finished. And the place was really clean. We're used to seeing flies, filmy surfaces, and various mild nuances of nastiness at eateries at Carolina Beach, so we were not expecting what we saw at Bowman's: shiny tables, clean everything and not a fly in sight. We'll be back

Reviewed August 20, 2011

Fastest resturant I have ever been in even though people were waiting outside to get in. BBQ is smoked just right. Pulled BBQ. The sause is on the side which is a strong vinegar base. May have others I just didnt ask. Plate size for money well worth it. Wife, daughter had seafood which which was great too. Hush puppies great too. Nice friendly waitresses. Will visit again.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We got take out from Bowmans and once again it was great! My husband and I shared the combination plate that has everything and it was plenty for both of us! My husband even had leftover for lunch the next day. Because we got take out, we did not get the kids food from Bowmans, but I think the kids meals are a bit expensive nearly $8 for my 2.5 and 7yrs old is a bit much. The quality of the take out was just as good as sitting down and eating.. The only thing I would suggest is putting the cole slaw in a seperate container. They put it in the small divider in the same container with the fish and some of the liquids made a piece of fish a little soggy. Otherwise a great experience and we will definitely keep going back!

Reviewed July 15, 2011

We had a very nice server, and the hushpuppies and cole slaw were delicious. That's where it ended. "Lightly breaded" meant the clam strips and shrimp came out of the freezer with about a half inch of Wonder Bread stuck to them. The flounder filet was 60 percent skin but was in fact fresh and breadled somewhat more lightly than the shellfish. The oysters weren't seasonal, so they had to come from a jar and were relatively flavorless. My wife's broiled flounder had no flavor, and the butter wasn't. But the hushpuppies were delicious. That's it for us at Bowmans. Jack Mackerel's is a better choice for fried seafood - a little pricier, but really, this was EXACTLY like defrosting HoJo's frozen shrimp and strips and warming them in the oven 40 years ago. Yech.