“Disappointing: From Our Freezer to Your Table”

Bowmans at the Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We had a very nice server, and the hushpuppies and cole slaw were delicious. That's where it ended. "Lightly breaded" meant the clam strips and shrimp came out of the freezer with about a half inch of Wonder Bread stuck to them. The flounder filet was 60 percent skin but was in fact fresh and breadled somewhat more lightly than the shellfish. The oysters weren't seasonal, so they had to come from a jar and were relatively flavorless. My wife's broiled flounder had no flavor, and the butter wasn't. But the hushpuppies were delicious. That's it for us at Bowmans. Jack Mackerel's is a better choice for fried seafood - a little pricier, but really, this was EXACTLY like defrosting HoJo's frozen shrimp and strips and warming them in the oven 40 years ago. Yech.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

I live on the island and think this is the BEST place for fried seafood...food is GREAT and prices aren't too high like some of the other restaurants. Delivery is also GREAT!!!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

This resturant was average in appearance and atmosphere. My husband ordered fried fish and shrimp and I ordered rib-eye with baked potato and had to order the large house salad because they didn't offer a small side salad to go with the steak. My husband and I split the large salad which had a tablespoon of chopped tomotoes in the center of the salad. The sweet tea was cloudy and not very good (tasted like it was made with beach water) and no real pieces of lemon was offered to go with the tea but were given packets of lemon juice and it just tasted awful. Texas toast came with the steak, but it was just toasted bread no butter or seasoning, no taste. My steak, which I ordered cooked medium-well, was very good, there were no steak seasonings or enhancements to the meat. The baked potato was old, tasted like it was cooked the day before, re-heated and served, it was very bad. No real sour cream to go with the bad potato just something like sour cream in a peal-off the top small container, I didn't eat it. We were also served cole slaw and it was really awful, not a good fresh taste. My husband said his fish and shrimp were good but did not taste fresh, tasted like frozen, and the waitress forgot the hushpuppies, finally got them half-way through the meal when we reminded her. Overall the meal was not worth the price paid, just under $50.00 for two people, should have been more like $25. When we checked out the hostess was aggressive and pushy about putting the tip on our credit card, We always leave cash for the waitress and we told her so. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the place a 3-4. (Restaurant/Food Critic, "Average Joe Critics" S.B. Iglesias)

Reviewed June 21, 2011

I ordered broiled flounder and was surprised to be served four (4) huge filets. Really enjoyed my meal. My husband ordered a ribeye and it covered a large plate and was cooked to perfection. Only choices for sides were baked potatoes, french fries, coleslaw. Hush puppies were tasty. Food was good and service was fantastic. Will definitely return again.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

The service was great, people were friendly, and the portions generous. But the food was all fried. It was the sort of place my parents would enjoy. If you're looking for fresh steamed, broiled, or grilled seafood you won't find it here.