“My stay was wonderful”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Wilmington, North Carolina
“My stay was wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Had a great time, the service was "over the top". I'm going to do this every year now.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sethflight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Lewisville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Just returned from vacation at GS. One thing you need to know that they are not really clear on is that there are 2 buildings the North Building and the South Building. When making your reservation online these are noted as an N or an S before your room type (SK= South Building King, NQ= North Building Queen etc.) The south building is the old building, it has been renovated to an extent but you can tell they did not strip it down to the studs and start over which is fine but you can tell. The south building is your typical Motel with outside access to the rooms (not in an interior hallway, it’s all outside) there is only one elevator in the South Building for a 5 level building this is not sufficient as we spent a lot of time waiting on the elevator. There was only one ice machine for the South Building (again not sufficient for 5 levels, it was on the 2nd floor we were on the 4th ). Pros for the South Building = the office is located in this building which has a general type store with everything from drinks and chips to suntan lotion and souvenirs, the motels boardwalk (beach access) is located at the south building. The views are incredible (probably from both but we loved it) restaurant access and Outdoor pool are only in the South Building. The North Building is newer and some of the rooms have full kitchens, (the south building has mini. refrigerators (not the tiny dorm ones, the medium ones) and small microwaves) it has more elevators and is all inside secure access, and the indoor pool and only hot tub (not very hot) are at the North Building. Over all we had a nice trip we went for the sun and the beach, not the room. The beds were comfy and the rooms were clean, bug free, and serviced daily by friendly staff. I would recommend this place to a small family or a couple on a budget. Parking was onsite and free!! Oh and they don't tell you this but they do have Wi-Fi internet (not very fast, but they do have it)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jakemanNC
Huntington, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

I just got back from staying at the Golden Sands Hotel at Carolina Beach and it was an excellent stay. The room was clean the staff was wonderful and friendly. The resturant was a good place to eat and not too expensive. The Tiki Bar with the music in the evenings was a great way to unwind after a day on the beach. I have to say that I was a little nervous after readong some reviews but I didn't have any problems> I will recommend this place to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank bergssingle
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

We have been staying here for @ 7 years when we go to the beach. Staff are always very friendly and helpful. Rooms are always clean and supplied with everything you need. Houskeeping are always freindly and helpful. Restaurant and Tiki Bar have great food and spirits. Very nice place to relax and have fun. Will continue to stay here and will always recomend to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ldtw
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

Ignore the negative reviews. It was clean and comfortable. Get off the ground level and the rooms have great view. The split room with two doubles and a fold-out is great for families. Easy beach access -- it's right there!

Now, several things were small. The balconies, the pool, the fitness room, and pier were smaller than they loo; acceptable though. The Ocean Grill restaurant has good service and a great view, but the menu selection was, well, small.

Overall, a good hotel and a great value!

Trinity, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed 4 nights at the GSM and I would have stayed 4 more if I could have...first off I try really hard to not read to much of the bad reviews of a place we stay if they have a decent star rating to begin with. However, I did read a few posts that said there were roaches and rats... I am here to tell whomever is reading...I saw not one bug in the room or elsewhere!! The room was clean and neat and yes the towels have seen better days but for a shower so what. We bring our own beach towels anyways! We stayed in their split room and it was decent. I would stay again and I plan to next summer.

As for the restaurant... in my opinion it just wasnt for us. It was a bit costly for what little we got and of the 5 of us in our party one meal was shared. What we ordered wasnt all that tasty. However, they seem to have lots of seafood and we are not into seafood. If you are then the place may be great for that. But is costly. We also ate at Kates Pancakes and we will not be back there they are simply rude and that review will come later =)

GSM is worth it! Tiki bar is great and Fireworks on Thursday nite, also check out the boardwalk. Our party of 5 had a great time! Oh almost forgot, the bed was comfortable. I did not have a backache the next day and usually do.

1 Thank WestFamilyVacations
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

My and my four children stayed here recently and it was a great place to vacation! The veiw was totally awesome and it was great to hear the live music on the weekend. The beds were a little too firm but overall great stay! I'd say the Tiki Bar was a nice addition to the scenery along with the Ocean grill. We will definately return next year!

1 Thank pilkentont