“Expensive Meal For Just The Chowder”

Michael's Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We are frequent visitors to Carolina Beach (or Pleasure Island as some like to call it to help separate you from your money) and have tried a few of the restaurants. Michael's is unique in that they don't fry any of their fish or anything else for that matter. Their seafood chowder is consistently good and for that they get at least 2 stars, but the rest of the food leaves much to be desired. On our last visit (Friday, Sep 21, 2012), we choked down what we could, but left dissatisfied. The veggie medley was dry and served cold. The rice pilaf was extremely salty--must have had a special on seasonings down at Maxway (if you're from there, you'll understand). The shrimp tasted like it was of the Chinese import variety and the mashed potatoes (PLEASE--how can you possibly ruin mashed potatoes!) were drenched (roll your r's when you say that word)--I mean drenched--in a marginary butter. However, on the way to wash my hands before the meal, I did hear some colorful conversation in the kitchen. On a positive note, only get the chowder and you'll leave happy.

1  Thank Epunthesis
There are newer reviews for Michael's Seafood Restaurant

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Six of us along with a 3 year old dined at Michael's last week. It was such a great experience that we returned for a 2nd evening. We enjoyed about 8 different appetizer/entrees and were very pleased with the food and our overall experience. I don't know how we have missed this before. Also it is easy to see why their chowder is rated #1.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visit the area every year and never noticed this great seafood restaurant. One of my co-workers ran into the owner in NY and mentioned that I was in NC. The owner told him where the place was, and he relayed the information to me.
We went on a friday night and the place was packed. Waited about 35 minutes. They have indoor and outdoor seating. The waiter was a little slow, but I realize that I am in NC and not NY. I was not in a rush so it really didnt bother me. If you are a clam chowder lover, definitely order it. They win every year, and the chowder is so good that the owner now has to be a judge so that he can not enter anymore. I had a fisherman's platter which was delicious. The salmon and scallops were great. I told the staff about my coworker meeting the owner. Everyone was warm and friendly. I will return in the future.

1  Thank JKreview
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ate here are for the first and last time! My wife and I both started with the Seafood chowder which was really good. However, then they brought both of us the Carolina Clambake which unfortunately wasn't so good. The waiter brought the butter and cocktail sauce out so early it cooled and got hard and nasty. Our sausage, potatoes and corn were cold, the clams were cold and a little dry/hard. Shrimp was actually pretty good, thank god! I asked for a wine menu which he brought out but never bothered to ask me if I wanted any. Oh by the way don't order the mojito, my wife said it was one of the worst she's ever had. Top it all off, our waiter checked on us maybe once after he brought us the food. Overall, just a terrible experience at a place that depends on the tourist dollar to survive.

1  Thank MocHoc
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Both the service in the food were excellent. We plan to bring the whole family back the next time we go.