“Big Let Down”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Big Let Down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been so excited to try this place. Unfortunately, the menu is EXTREMELY limited, made even worse by them not having everything on that limited menu (They even have items marked out with a sharpie). Food was fair. Service was less than fair. For a place that claims to "cook for you," they won't cook something to your specifications. Salsa was the best thing about this place. Inside seating is very limited-4 tables. Cute bar and it may be a place to go for drinks, I don't drink so I may be lost in the shuffle. I really hope this place is still working out the kinks and tries to expand the menu, or it will be yet another place I pass by while leaving the island to get food. Would expect so much better from Vinny!

1 Thank Samantha B

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Won't Go Back Again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Twisted Lime opened about 1 month ago and I have tried it 3 times. I always give a new place the benefit of the doubt to work out the kinks. Considering this place is owned by Uncle Vinny's next door, you would think they would have it all together. Unfortunately that is not the case. The decor in the restaurant is great! Brightly colored with tropical themes. Though very small, they did a nice job. The only eyesore is a lime green/ purple limousine they park out front.
It is so trashy looking.... they need to park it in the back.
1st time we went, the menu was so limited the waitress told us it was easier to tell us what they had as opposed to what they were out of. So we just had a couple of $8.00 house margaritas. Very average and expensive considering the amount of ice and ingredients. 1 week later we went again........same experience as for what was available on the menu. This time we ordered the wings and 2 beers to be safe. The wings were OK. By far not the best on the island. A little undercooked and soggy.
The 3rd time we visited was for lunch on "Cinco de Mayo" and that is our last. Tried the margaritas 1 more time and no change. Still out of so many menu items, so we tried the chips and salsa. I asked the waitress if I could get half salsa verde and half traditional red salsa and was told I could, but there would be an up charge. THAT is ridiculous! So I just ordered the red. The salsa was fine, but the chips were not homemade as advertised on the menu. They were multicolored out of a bag.
We left after about an hour due to the atmosphere. Rap/Hip-hop blaring outside and lots of what appeared to be owners friends around. Not what we expected for that day. Young 20 somethings being loud and obnoxious. The table across from us had a group and they were taking the moroccos and spinning them on their breast and crotch and being just plain foul mouthed. It was not enjoyable or funny.
And Last but not least....no children's menu. I don't have children so that would not affect me personally. But it does dictate a message of not wanting families as their "crowd"

4 Thank Guitarboy314
Wilmington, United States
“Overpriced, weak drinks and ok food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I would give this new place at Carolina Beach an average for food and atmosphere and below average for their drinks. The Pina Colada was mostly big chunks of ice that I couldn't drink through a straw, had no hint of alcohol, lacking in flavor and cost $9!! I had a mixed drink in DC recently for that price, but at least it had booze in it and tasted good. The shrimp tacos were good, the beef one was very dry and had no sauce on it or provided. $8 for two soft tacos and nothing comes with them. Chips and salsa cost extra. My husbands bbq pork was okay and the black beans it came with were sweet which was good and different. They had 2 major items not available yet that were listed on the menu. Only saw 1 waitress taking care of whole outside area and it was busy, she did a fine job, but service was too slow because of that. Hopefully they can get some more staff and menu items ready for the summer crowds soon. I wouldn't recommend wasting money on their extensive list of mixed drinks (mojitos, margharitas, shooters) that are all over $8, some were $11 (maybe I'm out of touch with cost?!, but that just seems high!). Try it for food and judge for yourself.

5 Thank Renae H