“Great hotel right on the beach.”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
New Jersey
“Great hotel right on the beach.”
Reviewed April 28, 2009

You can't beat the location, right on the beach and all rooms face the ocean. Our room was immaculate--Marriott has gone a long way to make its beds comfortable. The breakfast buffet is the best ever, and the staff during our April stay was extremely friendly and helpful. Parking is right in front of the hotel. There are good restaurants all around.

The outdoor pool is really nice, and the indoor one, while small, is fine.

There are two computers and printers in the lobby, very helpful for printing out last-minute travel directions.

My only negative observation was that the dark blue carpet in the elevator never seemed to be vacuumed, but that's a pretty small complaint.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Piedmont, NC
Reviewed April 27, 2009

My visit to this location was okay but it could have been much better. I arrived with high hopes and expectations after reading the reviews here. Similar visits to other Marriott Courtyards have led me to expect a smooth and uneventful stay
First the pro's: This location is relatively new, and newness can buy a lot of mileage. The facility overall was relatively clean but nothing special like many of the other Courtyards I have visited. I strongly sense this location may decline quickly with age - I hope that is not the case. Towels were okay, nice shower head, good climate controls, clean carpet, everything worked mechanically, and no tears or holes in curtains or bedding.
Now the con's: This facility seemed as if none of the housekeeping staff were owning the responsibility to go above and beyond. A napkin lay on the floor in the hallway outside our room for two days before it was picked up. A used wine glass sat in a window pane in the hallway in plain view for three days before it was retrieved. The tub in our room had orange and gray marks in the bottom with light mildew along two walls. Most of the glass sliding door to the balcony was somewhat covered in what looked like some type of drink or greasy food smears. I cleaned the door myself after housekeeping overlooked it for two days. The mini kitchen in our room was missing all support items with the exception of a coffee pot and coffee. There were no utensils, plates, paper towels or anything else usually found in the drawers and cabinets. That was a first for us. The pool was fairly nasty with what appeared to be debris from nearby trees. It was cleaned on the fifth day of our visit. For a facility this new I was hoping the bedding would be upgraded but that unfortunately was not the case. Everything in that category was standard. The balcony railing appears to be made solely of white PVC pipe - quite unusual. It seemed to cheapen the appearance of the west side of the building facing the ocean. And although I found the balcony railing to be secure, it felt uneasy leaning against it because it felt like you were leaning against someone's cheap homemade lawn furniture. With this type of balcony enclosure, there was no privacy on our balcony from any others on our floor. I could easily see what was going on on each balcony from one end of the building to the other, as could everyone else on my floor. A little more privacy would have been desirable. The rates here are very high for this area and time of season. I definitely did not feel I got a good deal for my money. I stayed here because it was rated the best place in town. And I expect it is one of the nicer places - there is very little competition for similar facilities in Carolina Beach. Upon check-in, the clerk advised me that they were just recovering from a near sold-out period during the week following Easter. That would certainly explain some of the housekeeping issues that were noticed upon arrival, but it wouldn't be a good excuse for conditions still existing a few days later. The express check-out was very nice. I only wish the paper placed under my door would have indicated somewhere on it that it was an express checkout bill, and included instructions as to where I was expected to leave my door cards, Without such wording, I stopped by the desk because it was unclear what the paper slipped under my door was supposed to be.
With a little work, this facility could be a stand-out top notch location. I can see from the previous Tripdvisor review of this location that hotel management monitors this website - how nice. I hope management will take it upon themselves to make the necessary changes to turn this location around. Based on my recent stay, I would be a little reluctant to return, or recommend it to friends. With a few changes, this place could be one to remember.....but it is not that type of place now. I can see from other reviews here that mine is lower than average. Maybe I was simply expecting too much based on past experiences with other Mariott Courtyards.

• Stayed April 2009
wilmington NC
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We had taken the ferry over to the island (Pleasure Island I think its called) from Southport and was going to the battleship in Wilmington NC when we passed a large hotel and decided to pull in to see. This hotel is right on the beach, and it's a Marriott Courtyard and we never knew it was here. The staff was the friendliest we have ever experienced and certainly deserves most of the credit for such a wonderfully unexpected couple of nights in Carolina Beach.

Although it was overcast, the temperature was still good for hanging out on the beach, and there was some neat little shops and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel had an incredible breakfast buffet and nightly dinner specials that were much better quality than I've had at other similiar hotels, probably because they are on the beach.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for relaxation in a comfortable and welcoming environment. Thanks for a great mini vacation and I look forward to going back soon!

1 Thank bgliz
Excelsior, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and feedback about your recent experience at he Courtyard Carolina Beach. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to having the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you and other readers to join our Facebook page. Post reviews and experiences of local attractions, share photos of your vacation, keep up to date on the latest promotions and special offers.

Best wishes and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We just returned from a 3 night stay down at the Courtyard Carolina Beach. It was a great property, on the beach, all rooms face the ocean, and a very friendly staff.

We had a king room on the top floor. All rooms have a patio which face to the ocean. It was great to sit outside and watch the sun rise and enjoy the ocean waves coming ashore.

They have a full service restaurant which we had lunch at. It serves the basic type food which was decent.

The only bad thing is the a/c in the room can not be controlled, so it runs all night and we couldn't seem to get it to run on a comfortable setting. It was warm or cold.

We will be back next year to stay here again! It was a great time.

• Liked — Location on the beach
  • Disliked — A/C in the room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank APompa13
kentucky
Reviewed August 9, 2008

We spent every day at the pool, it was perfect! The temp of the water was just right, always plenty of chairs, even when crowded. We ordered lunch poolside one day, which was good but took forever. Don't eat in the restaurant on a weekday afternoon. The food and service sucked, and you could hear the kitchen staff hollering at eat other about wanting to go smoke. That was the only bad thing that happened, and we stayed 7 days. We will definately be back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank need2eatless
Durham, NC
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This hotel is perfect. No complaints whatsoever. Best vacation ever. Great room, great service, great everything.

• Liked — The employees were so welcoming and thoughtful
  • Disliked — Price a bit high
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2008

We loved this hotel. Service was fantastic. The rooms were beautiful, the entire property is well maintained. We have two small children and they just loved it. The beach was nice and clean, no complaints at all from this family of four. The price for this hotel is worth it, we couldn't have asked for a better place to stay ,we will be back again.

• Liked — The view from the rooms, it was incredible
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#12 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!