“Pack & Just Go Weekend”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Time to get out of Charlotte for a weekend with the wife. Checked into the Marriott on Friday after rain driving for the last hundred miles. Walked inot the lobby and activity was a bloom. Reception and beach wedding just minutes away. We just wanted to check in and have a cocktail. We had to get the attention of the reception staff to get checked in. That probably was the toughest part of the weekend, but they did have free local wine samples and cheese. So you're forgiven. Pool was clean and towels were available. The bar made a fine daquari and munchies. The pool wait staff was awesum, made a nice day even nicer. The room was clean and beach front view with a patio, even better. Great location right at the pavillion , so walking and no driving. Saturday morning went down the street for bloody mary's and breakfast.... or was that breakfast..... it had celery..... okay a breakfast salad. The Sunday morning brunch at the hotel was probably the only downside, $12.95 for a cup of grits and toast was a little high. The full buffet was available, but we just wanted a little bite and not a sweet roll. I think allowances should be considered, but not this time. Anyways a great weekend. I would go back , but just not eat the buffet, plenty of other great breakfast places around........Getting reaquainted with the spouse....... always a good thing.

Room Tip: Two elevators to service the hotel, checkin late and leave early or get and extended checkout time...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jessika_GeneralMgr, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Tim,

Thank you so much for your comments! I would like to apologize for the lack of service at check in. I will make sure that we do a better job providing great service at the front desk. The hotel does feature a separate Bistro menu that you may want to try your next visit. You can order any items ala cart. I am glad that you were able to reconnect with your spouse. I hope we will see you soon. Thank you for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Highly recommend the Courtyard Carolina beach. Our two younger kids had a blast and the beach / indoor and outdoor pool situation was perfect for them. The area is a little bit touristy but a lot of nice cities close by kept it interesting. Hotel staff very cooperative and the place was clean safe and well managed. Hard to beat the oceanfront balcony view for sunrises and the Thursday night fireworks. Would go back again. Also Tony Silvagni Surf School was a great weeklong camp for our younger kids each morning.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Drewnino2

Thank you for your kind words! I will let Tony Silvagni know that your children enjoyed the camp. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had the opportunity to visit this hotel for a couple of days in August. I had a wonderful stay here!

Free Parking!

Check-in was very easy. Although the keys did not unlock my room very well(I went through 5 of them). The front desk staff gave GREAT choices for meals - Shuckin Shack, Gulfstream, and Havana's

Room was clean and as you would expect from a Marriott. Every room has a balcony!

Exercise Facility was not too good - 2 treadmills(one you could not hear volume from TV, the other had no cable at all - I fixed that by reinserting, but it is broken). Freeweights were missing 15, 25, and 30lb. Exercise Room was hot!

Indoor Pool and Hot Tub were both nice! Outdoor Pool screams 'Bring the kids'!

Bistro was really good! Starbuck's coffee...

I'd stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JessFuquay
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This trip didn't start out well. Our friends from Texas came to visit us in NC and we booked our rooms well in advance of the trip - May 30th- because we wanted adjoining rooms so our families could spend time together when we weren't on the beach. When we arrived, check in, which is at 4, was delayed until 5 because of the request of adjoining rooms. The room our friends stayed in did not have a working AC unit. The bedding for the sleeper sofa was filthy-looked to have been the last guest's sheets and just put back in the closet. The bathroom was not fully cleaned-ring in toilet and grime around the tub. All of this was reported and then I reported it to the GM, Jessika Medina via email after our frustrations reached the limit. Jessika is the saving grace of this property. She addressed all of our concerns and had them corrected within the next 12 hours. We were personally addressed by head of housekeeping, who was also very professional, easy to speak with and apologetic. I had no intentions on returning to this hotel for any further trips, but I have to say the customer service from Jessika and her team changed my mind. We will be back. The lack of 5 star is due to the adjoining rooms and the AC unit not getting fixed. When we booked so far in advance and there is limited options such as the adjoining rooms, it seems there would be a better way to get those requests filled. We had 4 little ones with us and an on time check in is helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank HMG73
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family has been coming to this hotel for years, and it's because of it's proximity to the beach, that we keep coming back in the spring, summer (although it's hard to swallow that peak-season price!) and fall! But DON'T BE FOOLED: THE BEST ROOMS IN THE HOUSE ARE THE STANDARD KING ROOMS, BECAUSE THE BED FACES THE OCEAN! I've been to much more luxurious hotels and beaches, but none of them have had the views that these king rooms (don't get the whirlpool--it's configured differently) do! EVEN WITH KIDS, get the king room (if you have one or two kids) or get a king (for yourselves!) and an adjoining 2 Queen room for the kids, if you can swing it!

Room Tip: Suites have NO view in the bedroom area. If you don't need as much space, get the STANDARD KING...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ameliaowens
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Courtyard for the third time in late July. When we arrived the desk staff were very courteous and got us checked quickly. I had requested a high floor when reserving and they had us on the 10th (top) floor which suited me fine for the ocean and beach view...but I wasn't sure if that would suit my wife and sure enough she wasn't too exited about being on the 10th floor and going on the patio. I turned around and told the clerk and in about one minute we had a room on the 6th floor which was the perfect compromise.
The room was very clean and neat..so we were set for a great vacation. On the next day we noticed the room was a little warm and called down to the desk. In a reasonable amount of time a very nice maintenance person showed up and diagnosed the AC. He said he was going to contact his supervisor and would be back. We thought we would be moving to another room which would have been okay but a bit of a hassle. In a few minutes the he came back with his supervisor and checked again. The supervisor said the unit wasn't working like it need to cool the room especially on a hot day and he was going to get us another unit and they left. In about 10 minutes they were back with a entire unit! They plugged it in and waited a few minutes and it never would "kick in" and blow enough cool air. He explained they had checked it out in the shop and it worked fine...but he was going to get us another one. So in about 10 minutes they bring another entire unit in and set it up and it worked great. This may seem like a long time to but it wasn't...plus there attitude and courtesy were great. For the rest of the week the room was nice and cool with no issues at all.
Another example of the Marriott's great customer service happened after we left. I had that feeling that I had forgotten something..it was the wall charger for my iphone and when I got home I called and they said they would check with housekeeping and if they found it they would mail it to me. To be honest I had to check again and it was seeming they didn't find it or couldn't locate it. At this point I emailed the General Manager and she said she replied she would personally check on it and give me a call. She did just that and ultimately the charger was found and mailed to me by Priority Mail.
I wish I could state the names of the 2 maintenance employees but I did not get them, however the General Manager's name is Jessika and they all made an impression on us and we feel like we were treated over and beyond during our stay.
Another comment I would make...I have read folks talking about there are not any good restaurants in Carolina Beach and some actually state they drove long distances to find a decent place to eat. Let me assure there are several great restaurants, too many to list, within easy walking distance and a ton more within a less than 5 minute car ride.
We can't wait until our next visit!

Room Tip: 3rd floor or higher and you will have a great view of the Atlantic Ocean
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DutchFan
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed in a king size room. The furniture was arranged with the bed facing the window which we had never seen done before. This was a great idea because we had nice view of the ocean instead of the TV the entire time. We're not sure if all the rooms are this way but we will ask for the same room next time we go back. The hotel is next to a carnival which was loud at night but the location is great if you want a short walk for donuts in the morning. We went to the ocean for swimming but did not try the pools so cannot comment on those.

Room Tip: Ask for king room with bed facing ocean
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
#14 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Drydock Motel
Drydock Motel
#13 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!