“Busy, busy place”

Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great location with ocean view in every room. Staff great with special compliments to Sue at the front desk. Handled an influx of cyclists while juggling more than one wedding and all seemed to work out to everyone's satisfaction. All you could ask of a hotel. A bit pricy but probably not for the area. Not much for food on property and minimal choices for breakfast but lots in the area.

Room Tip: All have ocean view so just pick how high you want to be.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This hotel was very nice and the service was great. Everyone was very helpful and willing to keep their customers happy. The hotel was located on a boardwalk and that made it easy to get out and walk. There were several great places to eat well within walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: The view of the sunrise on the tenth floor was amazing!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We showed up a day early for our vacation rental, it was late, we were tired and ready to rest. My wife got her dates wrong. We found this hotel and they told us they were full. When we explained our predicament they graciously found us a room and were very nice about it. While in the room we noticed the AC was not working, we really hated to say anything about it. I called the front desk who promptly sent up a maintenance man who agreed it was bad but he did not have any replacements. He told us to hang on he would take care of us. He was back in 10 with another room, free full breakfast and $50.00 off. We could not believe how they were taking care of us. Our next room was very nice and every thing worked, but it was obvious there was a major party going on next door. I stay in a lot of hotels and hear a lot of stuff but this was crazy. Again we hated to call after we had been treated so well but we had too, the kids were beating on the walls and screaming. The staff promptly said something to them, which only spurred them on and they apparently figured out we called and came over knocking on our door and throwing things on our balcony. We had to call again, this time the neighbors slammed the door in the staffs face and told them to leave. The police were called and 10 people were escorted from the room. So far an adventure. We were given another $50.00 off. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and apologetic, we felt we were just lucky to get a room. The rest of the night was uneventful and nice. Our breakfast and wait staff were out of this world. At breakfast the lady next to us said she heard those kids on the floor below and over 1 and was wondering what was going on. Anyway under normal circumstances this place and the staff would be some of the best I have ever experienced, and I am a Diamond club member with Hilton. But under our rare and not so normal circumstances the staff showed how exemplary they were. Kudos to the the Staff of the Courtyard.

Room Tip: All appear ocean front, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The location of the hotel is perfect. The view of the ocean is beautiful. The rooms are clean and spacious. Then why give it only an average rating? Because for a "Marriott" - it is only average. I would not advise against staying at this hotel – I would only say – don't get your hopes up. The balcony – while the view is perfect – is small with uncomfortable chairs. The beds were alright, the pillows too soft. The pool was nice but I did not see an umbrella in sight. The amenities – not so great. Especially the “complimentary” coffee left in your room - only one pack per guest - per day and it only makes ½ cup of coffee. So – for those of you who love your morning coffee while watching the sun rise over the ocean– make sure you get up early enough to go to Granny's or McDonald's first. My opinion of this hotel is - it shows the signs of a bad economy. Everyone is cutting back - if you view it in this light – you will enjoy your stay and be thankful it is clean.

Room Tip: The views are wonderful- choose a higher floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Psalms100
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my family's second time here in three years. I honestly don't remember much about the first time, but I loved the fact that all of the rooms are oceanfront. I didn't like the 'creepy' carnival next to the hotel. This year, we came after Labor Day, and the carnival was gone. We stayed on the 9th floor, and once again had a fantastic view. The room was clean, and the beds were really comfortable. I love that there are so many pillows from which to choose. The access to the beach is really convenient and really nice. The beach is really clean in front of the hotel. I love the stand-on foot washer! I don't remember this from last time.
We didn't have our room cleaned during our stay because we were only in our room to sleep, however, the nice housekeeping woman on our floor always asked if we needed anything when we were leaving our room for the day.
The Courtyard Marriott is conveniently located on the Carolina Beach boardwalk. It's nice to be within walking distance of restaurants and bars; most of which have great food and drinks.
All in all, my son, husband, and I had a great experience, and look forward to visiting again next year!

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor possible to get the best view. All of the rooms are oceanfront which is a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CycloneMelissa
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I thought I could 'rough it' so save some money. I stayed at a nice, clean hotel down the street from the Courtyard for one night. What pushed me over the edge to move to the Courtyard? There was a threat of at least one full rainy day. The room I was in had a sofa that looked and felt like it belonged in a clinic and no coffee table in front of it. A stand-up lamp next to it. The Courtyard had an easy chair and hassock RIGHT in front of the sliding doors to the balcony. Oh yum. I was sold. Plus I didn't take my laptop and they have internet access and a printer. The little Barista coffee packets in the room are to die for. I could drink that coffee all day or till I grow hair on my chest. It is strong and yummy. The front desk people are awesome. Michael and Sue (she's just a delightful human being and I told her so). The view is wonderful. Clean, smells good. My biggest complaint was the housekeeping staff. I was either missing coffee packets or an extra roll of TP. Everything was clean, just not quite getting the fully monty from those folks.

Room Tip: If you are on vacation and on Carolina Beach -- this is where I'd be. Yes, it's pricey but...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank twinkaa
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Carolina Beach Marriott on Sunday, September 16th. It was an end of season overnight get away. Frankly, we like to stay at the Marriott due to the fact that we usually know what we are getting - the consistency of all the Marriott properties. In this particular case, we both commented about the quality of the bedding. Nope, not the sheets or comforter but the actual bedding. It was quite uncomfortable. I actually have stayed in quite a few Marriott Hotels and this is the first time that I had an uncomfortable night of rest do to the bed.
Two months ago, we stayed at teh Hilton in downtown Wilmington and outside of the views (yes, the Marriott wins hands down) I would need to see that the Hilton was a better property. There beds were more comfortable, better amenities (shampoo, soaps, etc) and much more up to date showers and rooms. It was almost as the this Marriott is feeling a bit dated.

Anyway, from the Marriott, we are in close proximity to nice restaurants and casual shops. Hence, we would like to stay here again (for the view) but were a bit displeased with the property. By the way, I would have placed it in the category of an Econo-lodge.

Room Tip: Do not take room #603. The bed is very uncomfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
The Savannah Inn
The Savannah Inn
#3 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#13 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach? Share your experiences!