“Great place for a quick bite of fresh seafood and a beer”
Review of Shuckin Shack

Shuckin Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was staying in Raleigh, NC for business and had a free Sunday, so I drove to Carolina Beach. Found Shuckin' Shack when looking for a quick bite before leaving. This seems to be one of the few places in Carolina Beach where you can get fresh seafood -- it's surrounded by restaurants offering pizza, hotdogs, burgers, pasta and such -- but I would have none of that.

The place was almost packed at 3pm on Sunday, and quite noisy -- but it was a good, friendly kind of chatter and laughter. It seems to be a locals' favourite, everybody seemed to know everybody.

They have a selection of local tap beers, a decent choice of wines too. Fresh oysters, shrimp, mussels, and clams -- what else do you need on a beach? Well, how about chicken wings -- juicy and seasoned just right? They serve raw oysters and wings, calling it "surf and turf - their way".

When ordering oysters, you can choose to shuck them yourself -- it will save you a couple of bucks on a dozen.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Only a few tables and not fancy. Feels just like a beach dive, but clean and awesome. The peel and eat shrimp and wings were phenomenal. Party of four and they were all thrilled. Used plenty of paper towels to keep our fingers clean. The drinks were great. Not sure I cared for the spicyness of the deep fried pickles, but that wasn't what I was there for. Again, this place doesn't seat a lot and I wouldn't send a group. Can't see how they could accommodate more than four, unless at the bar. Wow! this place is truly a local find! VERY REASONABLE! Lots of shellfish, oysters, shrimp, crab legs, not pub food.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We are usually treated well! lots of locals here. The food is good and so was the service. We will be back in May

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. We had the most wonderful shrimp here! It was moist and unbelievably fresh. The waitress said they get it in unfrozen and steam it in their kitchen. We had the "Surf & Turf" their way with a pound of shrimp and an order of wings. The wings were great, but all I needed was the shrimp dipped in drawn butter! We're not oyster people, so I can't help you with that. The only reason I gave it a 4 star, was because it is very small and there were only about 5 tables. We had to wait for awhile.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Food is excellent, menu is a little limited, but if you are looking for oysters or shrimp, this is the place to come - as good as it gets!!! service was quick. the place was busy, even though it was off season. staff was friendly, if hurried. casual, crowded, FUN, and delicious --- a "must" when you visit carolina beach.