“Excellent Food”

Surf House Oyster Bar & Surf Camp
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Online menu through review websites may not reflect current menu. Please visit official restaurant website to see up to date menus.
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Dined here on advice from the owners of Beacon House B&B ( their favorite restaurant in CB). Very plain looking on the outside. Went at 5:30 pm on the Saturday after July 4th...not a single car in the parking lot & only one other couple inside. I was having my doubts. The interior is as plain as the outside. Looked to me like someone decided to open a restaurant at the last minute & just set up some tables, hired a staff, ran off a few menus & voila...restaurant. But, my initial impression was misguided. The staff was great. Just about any kind of drink you could want is available. There is a wide variety of appetizers, sides, and entrees. Entrees range from brisket, to chicken, to clams, to fish, etc.,...I had the "catch of the day" grouper & my wife had the shrimp & grits. Both were excellent. The grouper tasted very fresh...like they just ran down to the dock and took it right off the boat. Entrees were $15 - $22....This is not your typical fried seafood house...the food quality is much better. Will dine here again next visit to CB..

4  Thank Grady A

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Hands down, go here for the freshest, most flavorful meal in town. Expect to pay about $20. per entree. We had the trout, corn cakes, kid's grilled cheese, and banana bread pudding. LOVED every bite! Wish we had tried it earlier in the week of our vacation because we would have been back for multiple meals.

3  Thank Trista E
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I ate at Surf House this weekend and LOVED it! We wanted to eat there on a very busy Friday night, and they were able to squeeze a reservation in for us. Because it's an open restaurant with mostly hard surfaces, it does get loud inside, but my husband and I were there for the food, not for a quiet, romantic dinner. They have a small menu that changes based on what they are able to source locally. We started with a watermelon and feta salad, and then my husband ordered a mushroom dish with farro and asparagus while I had the mahi mahi with oven roasted tomatoes and almond pesto. All three dishes were amazing. The food was cooked well, it was all very fresh, and the flavors in each dish worked very well together. (Yes, the food may be a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more and support a local business that supports local farmers rather than support a huge chain restaurant.) Our waitress was attentive and knowledgable, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Despite the noise, I loved the vibe. It's a casual place with a surfer meets hipster sort of feel...from the decorations to the music. If you're looking for a quiet meal, this isn't your place, but if you're looking for great food with a fun, beachy atmosphere, this is your place! We'll definitely eat here again the next time we're in the area!

1  Thank CoachS04
Reviewed June 25, 2014

One of the better food establishments in CB. Gourmet and not everything fried. Nice bartender and full bar with knowledgable staff and wide variety of food. Try pancakes but skip shrimp and grits as not true low country fare. Saffron laden. Pricey but delicious.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

This restaurant is located in a tiny strip mall. The space is limited but the food is delicious. They pride themselves on using locally grown produce. I've only eaten there at lunch but they also do breakfast and they have a brunch on Sundays. I'm giving them 4 stars instead of 5 is because it can be very noisy, particularly if there are out of control children. However, if you don't mind the noise or if you are getting takeout, I highly recommend.