“Average Breakfast”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 3, 2011

This restaurant is pleasant enough, seemingly clean. There is a front section of booths with windows that view the street, the windows needed cleaning. Waitress tried to seat us in the main section of the restaurant and we asked if we could sit in the front with the windows and she complied and then she tried to seat us in a two-person booth and we asked if we could sit in one of the bigger booths next to a window. This time with a little bit of an attitude she said okay. We ordered the two egg platter that came with bacon, grits, and two baby pancakes, we had to order toast separate. The eggs were cooked to preference and tasted okay and generous in portion. Grits tasted bland, really no taste to them. The bacon was okay, and the toast was dry, they warmed up the bread and served it with packets of butter, not very good. The pancakes I enjoyed, they had a good flavor. The coffee was very good, fresh and smooth tasting. Overall service was good, the waitress checked on us often and kept our cups filled, I had two cups instead of the usual one, the coffee was so good. A little over priced for two adults $25.00. I do recommend this restaurant with an overall rating on a scale from 1 to 10, I give this restaurant a 5. (Restaurant/Food Critic, "Average Joe Critics", S.B. Iglesias)

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Went for here for breakfast b/c we were staying at the Courtyard across the street. The place is not popular b/c of the decor, b/c the bright pink walls and wooden fish on the walls aren't what I would call stylisih. However, the good food in large portions at reasonable prices would have me and my family come back. Also, the place is heaven if you like pancakes b/c they had at least 15 different types on the menu including heath bar and peanut butter cup for those of you w/a sweet tooth.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

I didn't get to read any reviews before our drive to Fort Fisher this morning. I only wanted to have us get breakfast at a local place not far from there. We arrived there about 9am, & Michelle was our wonderful server. I ordered the Big Breakfast which included 1/2 of a Belgian waffle, a thick French Toast, & 1 pancake (I opted to have a sweet potato one) plus 2 eggs & turkey sausage. My husband had a hearty omelet with berry pancakes. We both enjoyed our meals, & Michelle refilled our coffee mugs several times. We did a lot of sightseeing after that, so we sure needed all that yummy fuel!

2  Thank smd7145
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Our grandchildren were wanting pancakes and we decided to try Kate's which just opened for the 2011 season.

Atmosphere was quaint and charming, staff friendly albeit service was very very slow.

Had pancakes - okay,nothing to brag about
Two of us had scrambled eggs with grits and they were okay, nothing to brag about.

Prices were average, was overcharged for something but that was quickly resolved.

Would I recommend? Well, yes, but not for any type of special meal just an average breakfast. Did not have the coffee but the sweet tea so cannot comment on that part of the meal.

3  Thank bseashore
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I know this place is always busy so I can only guess that my mistake was not ordering the pancakes since that is the name of the place. We had a ham and cheese omelet that was flat, runny and embarrased by itself. How hard is it to mess up an omelet, really? But the kicker was the eggs benedict. I had no idea that the food supply companies had microwavable, pre-made eggs benedict. It was very pretty to look at but when a poached egg has a perfect half moon shape, is cooked beyond "hard boiled" and the yoke has a processed orange color, it has to be fake. I'd enjoy an egg mcmuffin at McDonald's anyday over this.

4  Thank wsxgrrl