“CONDITION NOT SUITABLE FOR ANY LIVING BEING OR ANIMAL!! VERY UNSANITARY AND NASTY!!”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I agree with all those who submitted negative reviews about hotel.
It was very nasty upon our arrival. The pictures on the Internet and
the owners description over the phone were all misleading. We could
hardly breathe while viewing the room; the bathroom had dirt in
shower, toilet nasty and the sink. The kitchen wa nasty and filthy!
The owner was not at all considerate of customer satisfaction and
doing what was right ethically! She did not provide a refund, which we
did not even stay at the hotel at ALL. It seems that this hotel is running
a scam to collect money from travelers. I will file a complaint to the
appropriate agency and will push on this issue until ALL hotels like this
one get their hotels in proper, inspectable order and clean immaculately
to ensure that the living conditions are 100% for a living being to be safe,
in a clean and healthy environment. The owner should be ashamed of
herself and know that God sees all the wrong we do and she shall reap
what she soes from God. You have treated and done so much wrong to
good people and God's people.

8 Thank SPBG738

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We Loved the Mermaid Manor. I understand it is under new management and I don't know how it was before our stay,but we will be back. They were working on the place while we were there and it is old,but my wife and I travel a good bit and this is on our we'll return list. Great location,very charming and very nice people.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed August 19, 2009

When we found Mermaid Manor House, our first thoughts were this could not be the place we were staying. The outside had no real parking next to Manor except for a one lane drive. You could park across the street but they had to get parking permits from the owner of the parking spaces. We made reservations for a 2 bedroom, living room, full kitchen and bathroom. What they had to offer were one bedroom with a pull out couch in living room, a shower (which I would not use) toilet and in the only bedroom was the sink and small medicine cabinet mirror. No place to place or store bath necessities (a female nightmare in itself). The refrigerator was dirty, Microwave inside was rusted, the coffee pot was so dirty I would not have used it period. No table only a bar and 2 bar stools no stove to cook on, no table to eat at. This is what they consider a Suite of rooms. The overall lack of cleaniness included dust and sand and sticky stuff on things. The place was poorly lighted and made it appear even less clean. I am not a neat freak, but I don't rent my home to others for them to try to live in. Didn't know there was a no dogs allowed on beach policy at all till I read in the other reviews. In a pet friendly beach rental I expect for my pet to be able to enjoy the beach. The web site we viewed indicated the owner was a minister. We were require to pay in advance and could not get any satisfaction about our room. We stayed about two hours trying to work out our issues with owner and could not. We drove home.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jewels1234

Travelers are raving about these Carolina Beach hotels

North Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Every year my mother, sister and her kids take a weekend trip to CB. We have preivously stayed at another location but this year we stay at the Mermaid due to vacancy issues at our other location...I immediately went to this site to see reviews...I was scared before going b/c of other reviews on this site...HOWEVER the bad ones are a bit harsh...Yes the Manor is old (just like all the motels on the ocean front in CB)...there are no luxury items you might expect from up scale hotel chains...And No, you cannot see the ocean from your room--that is b/c unlike most touristy beaches, in NC we have DUNES...you go over the dune and there is the beach...The policy reads that there are no refunds...had other disgruntal people read that they would have already known...
I felt VERY safe there, enjoyed the owner and his dog. Everyone we talked to who was staying there at the same time seemed very nice. There were no loud obnixous people there...it is not tolerated! The pool area is old, but nice...there could be some upgrades done to the entire palce and seems to be occuring gradually, overall the place was nice. I would stay there again esp. since they are pet friendly.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
raleigh, NC
Reviewed June 23, 2009

...this is an OK place to stay right on the beach. The owner didn't charge me a pet fee since I was staying four nights. The downstairs unit I rented was old and worn, but reasonably clean. The bed was comfortable and the window air conditioners were loud, but did their job. Be warned that since it is a "dog hotel", you may hear barking, as many dogs are not happy to stay in the rooms by themselves - evidenced by chewed window blinds and moldings in my rooms. The shower was tiny but clean. My rooms were dark and the bottom floor has no views, so the best place to hang out when you're not on the beach is the deck off the 2nd floor. Dogs are not allowed on the beach, but Carolina Lake is right down the street and has a paved walkway with poopy bag stations - my dog enjoyed swimming in the lake too. The Harbor Master right across the street has good food with a nice bar. All in all, an OK place, considering it takes dogs...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank horsewoomn
asheville
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed over Memorial Day weekend. Room was fairly clean, but not alot of extras--we mainly used it for sleeping. It is located right at the beach, altho pets are not allowed on beach--you have to go either one mile north or five miles south. It is not a 5* place, but if you are looking for a moderately clean place close to the beach it should work. Most of the restaruants//shops close by did not impress us--if you have kids it might be more appealling to you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dluebbe
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 17, 2009

I booked this hotel through craigslist. The room was scary. The shower dirty, the "kitchen" floor had splatter of some sort of liquid. In the kitchen, there was a nail sticking out of where the baseboard is supposed to be. We had to remove a heavy mirror off the wall due to being insecure and our 20 month old was shaking it on the wall which almost fell. There was not an "ocean view" from our room. The swimming pool is awful, would not go near it. The hallway and our bathroom smelled of urine. I will never go back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hrodelander