“If you like to bring your dog...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
raleigh, NC
“If you like to bring your dog...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

...this is an OK place to stay right on the beach. The owner didn't charge me a pet fee since I was staying four nights. The downstairs unit I rented was old and worn, but reasonably clean. The bed was comfortable and the window air conditioners were loud, but did their job. Be warned that since it is a "dog hotel", you may hear barking, as many dogs are not happy to stay in the rooms by themselves - evidenced by chewed window blinds and moldings in my rooms. The shower was tiny but clean. My rooms were dark and the bottom floor has no views, so the best place to hang out when you're not on the beach is the deck off the 2nd floor. Dogs are not allowed on the beach, but Carolina Lake is right down the street and has a paved walkway with poopy bag stations - my dog enjoyed swimming in the lake too. The Harbor Master right across the street has good food with a nice bar. All in all, an OK place, considering it takes dogs...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank horsewoomn

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
asheville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

We stayed over Memorial Day weekend. Room was fairly clean, but not alot of extras--we mainly used it for sleeping. It is located right at the beach, altho pets are not allowed on beach--you have to go either one mile north or five miles south. It is not a 5* place, but if you are looking for a moderately clean place close to the beach it should work. Most of the restaruants//shops close by did not impress us--if you have kids it might be more appealling to you.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dluebbe
Raleigh, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2009

I booked this hotel through craigslist. The room was scary. The shower dirty, the "kitchen" floor had splatter of some sort of liquid. In the kitchen, there was a nail sticking out of where the baseboard is supposed to be. We had to remove a heavy mirror off the wall due to being insecure and our 20 month old was shaking it on the wall which almost fell. There was not an "ocean view" from our room. The swimming pool is awful, would not go near it. The hallway and our bathroom smelled of urine. I will never go back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hrodelander

Travelers are raving about these Carolina Beach hotels

raleigh, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I disagree with the previous review. Our stay was very good. I would highly recommend this place if you have a pet that you need to bring. The Owners are professional and caring. The Hotel is older, but well kept. Its more vintage and quaint. Knotty pine everywhere..If you want a 5 star motel that takes pets you probably won't like this place, but for me and my signaficant other, this was good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

Dirty, dingy, and smelly. What more can I say? I was told that dogs were fine..charging an extra $25.00 a day , only to be told once we arrived, that dogs weren't allowed on the beach. The place was so filthy, I couldn't even imagine leaving her in the "suite" alone. My grandchildren were also with us and there was no way we could stay there with them. Too unsafe and unsanitary!
The bathroom was so disgusting and had a dirty toilet and shower, You had to go into the bedroom to use a sink to wash up. The fridge was so nasty I couldn't even touch. It just goes on and on but I think you get the picture. We got out of there in a hurry! So don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank jellybeanaNc
Raleigh NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

Yep, Like the other review says, they charge your credit card and then you see what they call a suite ? ! ? It smells like death in the room. Highly unsafe for children and basically any human life form. Do yourself a favor and walk across the street to the Joy Lee Apartment /Cottages . All of the pictures attatched are just a few cell phone snapshots of the filth this place has to offer. Obviously, I did not stay there. I checked in, saw the room, spent more time taking photos , ran like hell out the door and called my credit card company to block the charges.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank sfreas2001
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2009

I recently had a wonderful stay at a charming little ‘inn-type’ hotel at Carolina Beach. The Mermaid Manor is an old house that has been converted to an inn – it has beautiful wood floors, rails, etc. and was a breath of fresh air compared to the sterile high rises and old motels in the area.

The owner-hosts were great – I was a walk-in on New Years Eve and while they could have taken advantage of that fact, I rented an ocean-front two-room suite for a very reasonable price – in fact, I so enjoyed the place, area, and people that I stayed an extra night! The suite included a small kitchen area and a living area that was ocean front and had ocean views from both the front and side of the house.

The location is great as while it is ocean front, it is set back off of the main road. In addition, it is within walking distance to the heart of ‘downtown’ Carolina Beach and the boardwalk, which is spattered with shops, restaurants, beach stores, etc.

The second story has a deck with rocking chairs that is great for reading/relaxing – or just listening to and watching the waves and the pelicans. The owners, Kate and Mark, were gracious hosts, providing great tips on good restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues in the area.

I highly recommend the Mermaid Manor to anyone who prefers character and quaintness over sterile high rises (I must stay in them for business travel so I seek out alternatives for pleasure travel). I hope to go back soon!

NC

• Liked — The character and feel of both the property and the owners,
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ScudNC