“Our Superb Vacation”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Once again I cant thank Pat and Dan for a great and wonderful vacation at the Mermaid Manor. You cant expect the Marriot Valet parking room service type vacation. This is more on the bed and breakfast type stay. Each stay Pat and Dan have consistantly catored to our needs multiple times. Our air conditioner didnt work and they replaced it immediately with a new one. They made my children feel like family and let them help with the pool or gave them keys for a suveniour. This is the first year I took my nieces and the convenience to everything is wonderful. Some of us could stay at the pool and others at the beach and only be 50 feet away from each other. Thank you again Pat and Dan for a wonderful stay at Mermaid Manor..sorry it took so long to thank you!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 18, 2012

They will over charge you. They charged my card double. They refuse to give me back full credit. They are very ugly and the place stinks. They had a dog in the next room barking.They have fleas.
The rooms are musky smealing. The floors are leaning so all the old furniture is leaning and nasty.
Just AWFUL and EXPENSIVE for a dump. NOT OCEANFRONT

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank JustMe252
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I read most of the reviews and agree with most for the same reasons . Weird room layout , out dated everything , no security , no parking , overall filthy so I won't repeat them . We booked at the last minute and wanted to take out small dogs . During the trip my dog lost her toy and I made the mistake of looking under the bed for it .... OMG it was so disgusting ! It looked like they had swept all the dirt under the bed when/if they clean , same thing under the sink cabinet.
When we booked we were told they had grill amenities , HA ! The grill is on the side of the house and sits on a piece of plywood in the sand. They gave us 5 pieces of charcoal to cook 5 pieces of chicken , needless to say my hubby stood there for almost an hour trying to cook the dang things.
Location was the only desirable aspect .
I won't ever stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone .

Room Tip: want a good room ? stay some place else
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank justagirlin_nc
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had an overnight stay in one of the rooms at Mermaid Manor. While it was clean and had a good beach front location, I don't think I will be back. It is very awkardly designed - hardly any kitchen space or usage is possible. There is a sink in the living room, right next to the sleeper sofa - which is too close for comfort. The furnishings seemed well worn though clean. The rooms are extremely dark and claustrophoic. The beach front is only available for 2 rooms and ours was not one of them. There is a patio one cans it on but smoking is allowed on it, which made it undesirable to us. The beach front is extremely close which is a plus. One can bring pets too which might be a bonus if you want a vacation with them.

The owners were helpful and cheerful. However, I think even for the price it charges, I probably wouldn't be back even for one night stays as it seems kind of garish and tacky and not a relaxing place when on vacation.

We only chose the place because it was a last minute overnight stay and everything else was booked.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sunshine_coffee
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at this cozy oceanside inn this past weekend, and was very pleased with my selection. The managers, Patty and Dan, went out of thier way to make sure I was comfortable and had all the information I needed on the area. Having a pool and the ocean right outside my backdoor was a huge plus!!! I would highly recommend it and will stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Susan G
Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you're looking for a nostalgic and quaint beachfront hotel, reminiscent of the 50's, this will be the place for you. Picture yourself sitting on the back porch watching the sun rise early in the morning and then again in the evening watching the birds flit about at sunset over the ocean. This is relaxation to the utmost.

If you're a senior citizen, the rooms will bring you back to your childhood. Much attention was given to every detail of decorating to bring this 50's look to this hotel. If you're an adult child or grandchild, you're certain to have heard stories from your parent and or grandparents about their vacations at the beach; staying at the Mermaid Manor will take you back to those quiet, unassuming and memorable times.

Room Tip: obviously a room with an ocean view would be best
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank francok12
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I just got home from a three night stay at this dump! Do. Not. Stay. Here!!!! Fair warning, I stupidly did not read these reviews before I booked a room.

I cannot find one good thing to say about this place, period! Shabby, 1980's garage sale furniture, absolutely NO amenities whatsoever!! I have traveled across county several times with my dogs and have NEVER encountered such poor conditions for SO MUCH MONEY!!! When I checked in, someone had left two dogs in the room above mine and they barked non-stop the entire time I was there! Fortunatly, they checked out the next day, as I was planning on leaving and eating the money(forget any 24 hour notice, etc....they don't refund $$!). All dirty, old wooden floors, not even a small throw rug next to the bed!! The noise is UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I cannot express how very bad it was....three days of NO peace and quiet!!! The manager flies around(after drinking beers)and clomps and bangs with no regard to their tenants! Her husband, Dan, was looking for her on Sunday and wasn yelling down the hallway for her and said "where the f.... are you, Pat". This is the truth, anyone that was there would have heard him! I was shocked, offended and felt totally disrespected. This place is NOT cheap, mind you! They have no rules for noise or dogs left in rooms....a nightmare!

Also, NO MAID SERVICE....at all! I was shown where she keeps the broom so I could sweep the sand off my floor!!

This is NOT a safe area, drunks, homeless, etc and NO PARKING!!!! I had to park in a open dirt lot across the street and I own a collectible convertible!! As a single woman, I did not feel safe in ANY respect at this establishment! The lock on the door of your room is a joke, you could just push your way in!!! No security, plus a fire hazard...all wood and old as the hills...dusty, dirty...As in the other complaints....the pool was unusable my entire stay because they had not gotten their permit...I was not informed of this, either!!

Here is what you get(I paid $125 a night for a tiny room and miniscule bathroom): a couple of towels and a bar of Irish Spring soap....that's it, folks!!! No coffee for the ancient coffee pot, nothing! An old TV, remote barely worked and basic cable....oh, plus - no TV guide which was really fun trying to find the shows I wanted to watch!!! I mean, COME ON! We are all from out of town!

Also, as in previous reviews...dog friendly but NOT the beach!!!!! Why the heck do they think we are bringing our pets?!!? So the one day I took them out I got stopped by the beach police!!!

I just spent close to $400 to stay IN HELL!!! Stay away! I beg of you!

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo