“Good for last minute overnight stays or if you are bringing your pets”
Review of Mermaid Manor

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Carolina Beach
Mermaid Manor
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good for last minute overnight stays or if you are bringing your pets”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We had an overnight stay in one of the rooms at Mermaid Manor. While it was clean and had a good beach front location, I don't think I will be back. It is very awkardly designed - hardly any kitchen space or usage is possible. There is a sink in the living room, right next to the sleeper sofa - which is too close for comfort. The furnishings seemed well worn though clean. The rooms are extremely dark and claustrophoic. The beach front is only available for 2 rooms and ours was not one of them. There is a patio one cans it on but smoking is allowed on it, which made it undesirable to us. The beach front is extremely close which is a plus. One can bring pets too which might be a bonus if you want a vacation with them.

The owners were helpful and cheerful. However, I think even for the price it charges, I probably wouldn't be back even for one night stays as it seems kind of garish and tacky and not a relaxing place when on vacation.

We only chose the place because it was a last minute overnight stay and everything else was booked.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank sunshine_coffee

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at this cozy oceanside inn this past weekend, and was very pleased with my selection. The managers, Patty and Dan, went out of thier way to make sure I was comfortable and had all the information I needed on the area. Having a pool and the ocean right outside my backdoor was a huge plus!!! I would highly recommend it and will stay here again!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Susan G
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2012

If you're looking for a nostalgic and quaint beachfront hotel, reminiscent of the 50's, this will be the place for you. Picture yourself sitting on the back porch watching the sun rise early in the morning and then again in the evening watching the birds flit about at sunset over the ocean. This is relaxation to the utmost.

If you're a senior citizen, the rooms will bring you back to your childhood. Much attention was given to every detail of decorating to bring this 50's look to this hotel. If you're an adult child or grandchild, you're certain to have heard stories from your parent and or grandparents about their vacations at the beach; staying at the Mermaid Manor will take you back to those quiet, unassuming and memorable times.

Room Tip: obviously a room with an ocean view would be best
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank francok12
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I just got home from a three night stay at this dump! Do. Not. Stay. Here!!!! Fair warning, I stupidly did not read these reviews before I booked a room.

I cannot find one good thing to say about this place, period! Shabby, 1980's garage sale furniture, absolutely NO amenities whatsoever!! I have traveled across county several times with my dogs and have NEVER encountered such poor conditions for SO MUCH MONEY!!! When I checked in, someone had left two dogs in the room above mine and they barked non-stop the entire time I was there! Fortunatly, they checked out the next day, as I was planning on leaving and eating the money(forget any 24 hour notice, etc....they don't refund $$!). All dirty, old wooden floors, not even a small throw rug next to the bed!! The noise is UNBELIEVEABLE!!! I cannot express how very bad it was....three days of NO peace and quiet!!! The manager flies around(after drinking beers)and clomps and bangs with no regard to their tenants! Her husband, Dan, was looking for her on Sunday and wasn yelling down the hallway for her and said "where the f.... are you, Pat". This is the truth, anyone that was there would have heard him! I was shocked, offended and felt totally disrespected. This place is NOT cheap, mind you! They have no rules for noise or dogs left in rooms....a nightmare!

Also, NO MAID SERVICE....at all! I was shown where she keeps the broom so I could sweep the sand off my floor!!

This is NOT a safe area, drunks, homeless, etc and NO PARKING!!!! I had to park in a open dirt lot across the street and I own a collectible convertible!! As a single woman, I did not feel safe in ANY respect at this establishment! The lock on the door of your room is a joke, you could just push your way in!!! No security, plus a fire hazard...all wood and old as the hills...dusty, dirty...As in the other complaints....the pool was unusable my entire stay because they had not gotten their permit...I was not informed of this, either!!

Here is what you get(I paid $125 a night for a tiny room and miniscule bathroom): a couple of towels and a bar of Irish Spring soap....that's it, folks!!! No coffee for the ancient coffee pot, nothing! An old TV, remote barely worked and basic cable....oh, plus - no TV guide which was really fun trying to find the shows I wanted to watch!!! I mean, COME ON! We are all from out of town!

Also, as in previous reviews...dog friendly but NOT the beach!!!!! Why the heck do they think we are bringing our pets?!!? So the one day I took them out I got stopped by the beach police!!!

I just spent close to $400 to stay IN HELL!!! Stay away! I beg of you!

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank Judy C

Travelers are raving about these Carolina Beach hotels

Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We were last-minute shopping for a place to stay for ourselves as a couple, our 2-year-old, and our dog. Advertised as a "Pet-Friendy" place, we stopped, and were quite surprised by the charm of this place. We stayed in the ocean-front suite upstiars. There was a leaking sink in the bedroom/kitchen room, but other than that, the management were super to make sure we were happy, even pulled out an umbrella stroller for us if we decided to walk to the boardwalk more comfortably, and let us borrow a pail and shovel for our toddler to play with in the sand. The pool was crystal clear and inviting, and the view and breeze through the den window was nice, especially at night. The rocking chairs were a bonus on our porch.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mermaid Inn for a quick get-a-way weekend March 30-April 1, 2012. We are pretty easy to please and were not expecting a "chain" experience. Yes, the decor includes older furniture and the kitchen didn't have a stove, just a hot plate but our two rooms (202) had an amazing view of the ocean from the living room and we could sit on a porch right outside our window. TV is not the reason we went so we didn't care about the TVs being old. The bed was a very comfy king with clean sheets and we were given towels, washcloths, hand towels and soap. The shower was old with regrouting and some people might find that a problem but we weren't expecting a modern tiled bath. We didn't have pets with us but didn't have any problems related to fleas or barking. We like the "real" beaches of North Carolina, not luxury cottages or high-end villas so we were very comfortable. The location is excellent and we walked to restuarants for dinner and of course Britt's Donuts for breakfast. The place is eclectic but we found it to be clean, interesting and the staff were friendly. All-in-all, a nice, quiet, beachy weekend.

Room Tip: Ocenafront rooms on the second floor have a great view, not so much on the first floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nc2njgirl
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Great place to stay, friendly people and fun environment. I would recommend the Mermaid Manor to others and can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2011