“Most horrible experience in a motel EVER”

Drifters Reef Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This place was so horrible that I could not wait to write a bad review. The bed was so uncomfortable that I had to take a pain pill for my back the next morning. The air conditioning unit in the room sucked. The time we were in the room we were so hot we had to cool ourselves with cold washclothes. The room was small and cramped. There was four of us so not much space to move around. They must have just cleaned the carpet so I guess that was a good thing but there was a very strong cleaner type smell in the room. I don't think the shower even had a shower head on it. The room was way overpriced. I have stayed in $50 a night motels better than this one. I will never ever go back and recommend you don't either.

3  Thank Swomack70

Reviewed June 1, 2010

Two of my teenagers had to work Friday and Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. We could not find anywhere that would let us book for just Sunday nighte of a holiday weekend. Then I found Drifter's Reef. They had a recently renovated two bedroom apartment three blocks from the beach that would sleep 7. It had a fully equiped kitchen, two bedrooms, den and game corner with darts and foosball. I had read reviews about the rooms being stale so I brought candles. But to my delight the whole apartment had been recently painted, and carpet replaced and it was VERY CLEAN. All of the other rooms have been recently done too. They let us check in EARLY at 1pm, use the pool late on Monday until 5. We could park there and walk to beach, as beach parking was NON existent Memorial Day weekend. And it was only $139 for one night for the apartment. Anywhere else the 6 of us would have had to get two rooms for more than one night. GREAT VALUE. They have many less expensive rooms, we were just in the largest.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I have stayed here in the past and enjoy coming back. Recently I have enjoyed bringing my dog as they are pet friendly. I believe they are the only pet friendly hotel in the area. Rates are reasonable and you are within walking distance to everything. On my last visit they had recently opened a sports bar and grill called the lazy pirate. I had to try the wings...they were good and the philly cheesesteak my husband had was wonderful. Definately recommend it. They also have a small gocart track for the kids.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

This place is amazing. Very friendly people. Great location. Will never choose another place to stay but here. I have been going to this hotel since 2004 and have never stayed anywhere but here. There rates don't break you which means you can enjoy other things

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2010

I have stayed in many hotels in my day, and I can honestly say that this was truly the nastiest place I've ever seen. I don't think we stayed in a "smoking room" but you wouldn't have known it from the smell. It smelled as if someone had smoked in it for a month straight and then not opened a window. Also in the air was a strong funky smell, which betrayed the fact that some seriously gross things had taken place there. There were at least ten large stains on the floor in this pet friendly room, and our dog, who usually enjoys sniffing filthy things, turned away from them in disgust. There were also yellow stains on the sheets, no top sheet (exposing the stained mattress below), and numerous brown stains on the wall. In addition to the overall stench and stains, the atmosphere of the hotel was both sketchy and troubling. We are sure we witnessed not one but several drug deals going on throughout our stay; people yelled and trampled by our room until late in the night; and a dog fight took place outside our room. Perhaps most noteworthy was the physical fight which transpired in the room next to us. A couple screamed violent threats to one another, which culminated in actual blows and furniture throwing. We didn't even dare to use the showers, and we woke up feeling like we'd been breathing smoke and mold spores all night. In short, we don't recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I spent the entire Sept.-Dec. practicially every weekend at the Drifters Reef Motel. I have always had a clean room, plenty of towels, and I can't say enough about the marvelous staff. On my last visit, I forgot my Library book and was almost home before I realized it, the lady at the front desk, Her name was Kathy and she said she would be glad to drop it off at the Carolina Beach Library for me after work. You can't get better service than that. She was on her own time, doing a customer a favor. That type of service can't be found just anywhere. My hats are off to you and from this teacher you deserve an A PLUs! Thanks.
Fayetteville, NC

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2009

this was the worst mortel you could ever stay at! it was totally grossss! it had moldy food coming out of the microwave, the floors weren't vaccumed, the lights didn't work in the bathroom, and i don't know about you but when i get in the shower i like to feel clean when i get out but i felt even dirtier because the shower was soooo nasty and the shower rod had stuff growing on it! don't let the cuteness on the outside of the building full you! we prepaid for 2 nights and left after the first night and they wouldn't give us our money back for the second night! it was worth it to get out of there though!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple