“Best additude toward pets and great location/price”

Drifters Reef Hotel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Carolina Beach
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I’m giving them 5 starts not based on the quality of the motel but of our overall experience.

We’ve stayed there three times now and each time we’ve had a positive experience. The price is excellent, considering the location! You can walk to the beach and to all the bars and restaurants in the area. Now, while the rooms are not top of the line they are clean. Considering they are a dog friendly motel (which is hard to come by) and considering how many pets pass though those rooms, you can’t really have extremely expensive bedding and furniture in there as not everyone’s pets are well trained. So the bedding is simple and so is the décor, the floors are tile and that makes them easy to clean. You could definitely smell the Lysol in the room when you first enter but that only tells me that it was cleaned really well. You have to remember it’s important to eliminate the smells of the last pets in the room so the new ones don’t try and mark over them.

We actually picked this place because of the bar next door. Yes, the music can be a little loud but they only have it late on Saturday nights and it’s nice because you can enjoy the live entertainment and bar and walk over to your room and crash. I can understand if you are a light sleeper the noise may bother you. If you are used to fancy hotels then this might not be the place for you, it's low key and laid back and as a young couple with no kids( except our german shep) this was the perfect place to stay.

Most importantly and the main reason we go back there is the staff. Everyone we encountered loves animals and they’re extremely accommodating and friendly to pets. It is this welcoming attitude that keeps us returning. I hate going to places that seem annoyed with your pets. Every staff person we encountered was friendly and polite and that is hard to find.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank John_and_Sarafina

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed 2 nights by myself, and got a room near the office. It was quiet, and clean, 2 beds in the room and view of the pool. Also, clean tub, micro wave, fridge, and nice staff. Pam who works there was no Nice. She made me coffee in the office in the morning, and we talked a little., and it was fun shopping there, the weather was not so great but I had a good rest. I paid $45.00 a night it was a good value.

Room Tip: See the room first and if you don't like it ask for another.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank susanhylands
Reviewed November 20, 2013

After much deliberation I decided to book this motel for a few nights on my 2 week road trip. I chose it 1.because the outside was beachy, colorful and seemed cute. 2. They allowed dogs. 3. It was pretty inexpensive for the location.

The reviews made me skeptical and I soon learned for good reason. Carolina Beach as a whole was a bit sketchy. Upon our arrival I used my lysol wipes to wipe everything down to feel more comfortable. The carpeting was filthy. My fiance and I wore socks or flip flops the entire time, so our bare feet would never touch the floor. If I asked the front desk for any help whatsoever the woman was unfriendly and extremely unhelpful. I asked about the local beaches/restaurants and was basically told she didn't know. I will point out the housekeeping woman was much more friendly than the front desk when she made her rounds.

My biggest complaint was the noise of the bar next door. I stay up late usually til 12 or 1. But the bar stays open even later and they play their music loud! During our stay I was awoken several times by people leaving the bar(yelling, motorcycles, etc.) I am 27 and can handle some commotion, but the walls are paper thin and I heard every little thing. To say the least it was very annoying and I would probably find somewhere else to stay next time.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the bar! : (
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank greenseaturtle27
driftersreef, Manager at Drifters Reef Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you did not have the best experience staying with us. I will personally address these issues with our staff. I hope you will give Carolina Beach another chance as it is a great beach community with a small town feel and has a lot to offer.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

A lot of reviewers on tripadvisor have been very critical of this motel and so it was with quite a lot of trepidation I entered my room. Luckily the room wasnt nearly as bad as I had feared. Bed was clean (appeared to be at least), floor carpet seemed clean as well and nothing to remark with regards to the bathroom either. Obviously this place isnt the Hilton and you get what you pay for. The bathroom was very basic and quite old but fully functional. We had some problems with a leaky toilet but this problem was taken care of by the staff in a friendly and professional way (we moved rooms). Another complaint in a lot of the reviews here was a smell of cigarettes in the room. I could not smell anything myself but there were a lot of smokers (outside) on the premises and so I cant say if some of the other rooms did smell of smoke. A lot of people seemed to have dogs as well and, although I couldnt smell anything of this either in my room, this could perhaps be the case in other rooms (I love dogs but there is no getting away from the fact that they do smell). The door lock seemed very fragile and a good kick would most likely enable someone to gain access to the room so I did not keep any valuables.

All in all I found this place to be an ok place to stay at for the cost-conscious traveller for a few days. For longer stays I would probably find something newer though.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank jamesmac32

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad our staff was able to assist you in moving rooms. Cleanliness if very important to us, thank you for noticing that the rooms are kept neat and clean. All of our rooms are non-smoking and we do everything we can to enforce that. We love dogs as well and offer specific rooms that are pet friendly! Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was concerned by some of the reviews, but booked our trip anyway because of the cost & location. The rooms and property is well cared for and clean. All employees were courteous and helpful. The restaurant/bar was terrific...lots of great music and food. We had our 12 year old grandson who enjoyed sitting on the porch watching us dancing! We watched the football game on Sunday and it was terrific! Don't hesitate staying here unless you are a "goody-2-shoes"...remember this isn't the Hilton and doesn't cost as much as the Hilton either!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kmkelly_1998

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on being an affordable, family-oriented and run hotel and hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Hi,
We are very welcomed at trying new things, but this place was nothing good of nothing!
Everyone who stayed there smoked, Oh yes every guest except us of course!
Harley Davidson motorcycles racing their motors all day and night. Screaming kids, where where their parents. I was awoken at 4:40am to 2 women (drunk) with a 6 yr old walking outside.
The 6 yr old called 911 (come on) 2 adults and he still did it. Bad parenting!
Our Shower had no showerhead! The room was musty smelling upon arrival!
I would have to say if you are going to stay somewhere to save money it would be safer to stay further from the beach and get a cheaper rate, but a nicer motel or hotel!
We left after 2 days and went to the Hilton garden hotel in Wilmington. It was amazing, You Do Get what you Pay for! We will never go back to the Drifters Reef in Carolina Beach and will tell all of our friends about our horrible experience. I loved the restaurant. Even outdoor bands on summer weekends!! Great job Lazy Pirate Restaruant!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor rooom away from the pool and the pet rooms! Who takes their dog on vacation anyw...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank fromhardtoplease
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked a pet friendly room for me and my 2 girls (age 10 and 6)! We had the BEST time at this hotel!! First the pet friendly rooms are tiled so when we walked in it was spotless! The bedspreads you can tell get washed after every guest which I loved as well!! We headed to their "Salt water" pool and relaxed.... it is close to the road, so you do hear some traffic until you let your mind go while on vacation. The staff was very friendly to me, my daughters and my dog! I would suggest bringing some hangers while staying here though, there is no towel racks or little hooks to hang wet towels/swimming suits in room. The Lazy Pirate restaurant next door has some of the best food and on Tuesdays kids eat free! If you are looking for a comfortable affordable clean place to stay, this is your place. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with room service and beach view this isnt your place. This is a family owned and operated hotel that I will be bringing my family back too!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family