“Great atmosphere”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Visited Harbor Master's for the first time with friends for a late lunch/early dinner. Loved the tropical atmosphere & decorations. It wasn't crowded at all when I was there though I have seen it bursting at the seams esp. on a Fri or Sat night in summer. Waitress was nice & friendly, service excellent. Food & drinks were tasty & arrived promptly. Price was average for the area & time of year. We ate inside but afterwards stepped out onto the attached, covered dining area which gives a scenic view of the boats & harbor itself. Had thought it would be hot out there but a nice breeze was coming through & ceiling fans kept it cool. Wish we'd eaten out there. They do allow smoking at the outside dining area which as a smoker is a plus to me but might be a downer for nonsmokers.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Harbor Masters is presently closed until the begininning of May. It will reopen under new management, with a new interior and new name--Doogie's Dock and Dine. The owners realized a serious problem had developed and worsened over time. They are taking a fresh approach and have promised the regulars that they will make it what it should be--a great waterfront restaurant.

1  Thank Debbie R
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We visited the Harbor Masters on our trip to Carolina Beach. Wish we had gone some place else. My wife had the flounder from the lunch menu. It tasted like freezer. I had the seafood chowder. It had a strange sour taste to it. We left both unfinished.

As we were leaving we noticed the sanitation rating beside the door and it was a "B".

Not a place we will revisit.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were looking for a quick dinner close to our hotel in Carolina Beach and this restaurant was on the hotel's suggested list. We decided on this one specifically since it is on the canal. We were pleasantly surprised. The servers were very friendly and helpful. We did feel as if the kitchen was a bit slow, especially considering how few people were in the place. We probably would have ordered an appetizer if we knew how long the food would take.

The food was delicious. They server "lunch" options all day, so I ordered the scallop dinner from the lunch menu. You have choice of fried or seared. I went with the seared and sweet potato fries for the "home made chips". The scallops were some of the tastiest I've had in a long time. they were seared perfectly and melted in your mouth. My only complaint was that they were a bit salty. The sweet potato fries are waffle fries and very good. My husband ordered the grilled salmon off of the dinner menu. The piece of salmon was a very good size and was cooked perfectly. His only complaint was that he ordered a backed potato and got garlic mashed, but those were good anyway. He had ordered the vegetable "medley" but when it arrived as only summer squash, the waiter volunteered the explanation that the carrots did not look "up to par" and so they decided to leave them out. Can't fault them for deciding to forego less than quality food.

Since it was winter, only half of the restaurant was open. We sat in a booth in the bar area. There is a large deck outside on the canal that looks like it would be a nice option in the summer.

We would definitely give this place another try!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

On 1-12-13 I was treated to Dinner here and was pleasnatly surprised. Our waiter did an awesome job getting our orders even with the special orders for our Allergic friends.