“There are not enough words...It is a great place to stay.”
Review of Pisgah View Ranch

Pisgah View Ranch
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Candler
High Point, North Carolina
“There are not enough words...It is a great place to stay.”
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I just visited Pisgah Valley Ranch with my good friend. We went to relax but received so much more. We stayed in a cozy little cabin that was more than adequate for our needs. It was nestled in some of the most beautiful land in this country. The staff was wonderful and warm. Mark, Hanna, Dan and Dori were an extended family for the entire week. They have a real love for what they do and that is a rare quality to be found in modern times. My favorite moments were spent eating Dan's awesome meals around the table and enjoying great conversation with some of the nicest people I have ever met. The horses were sweet and fun. It had been many years since I had ridden a horse but Hanna was very helpful. I enjoyed every ride and would gladly do it again. The day we left I was sad to go. I had such a great time and I know that we will return. Heads up Pisgah staff we will be back. Amy-High Point NC

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
12 Thank harriam34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
High Point, North Carolina
Reviewed May 15, 2010

My friend and I recently visited Pisgah View Ranch and had a blast! The place is beautiful. If you are looking for an out of the way place to escape the hustle and bustle of every day life--this is the place!

The cabin we stayed in was rustic yet nice. It was clean and comfortable and we really enjoyed the porch with the rocking chairs and had a great view of the horse barn and mountain. Each morning the birds woke us up in time for breakfast. It was great!

When we arrived we were met by Whiskey, Gin, and Buddy, the unofficial canine greeters of Pisgah View Ranch, and then by Hanna and Mark, the ranch managers. The staff is awesome. Very friendly and accomodating. This is a huge property and considering all the work that goes into running the organization, they do a great job of managing the place. We were there early in the season so there were just a couple other guests and they seemed to enjoy themselves as much as we did.

Dori, the housekeeper, was just as sweet and friendly as she could be and helped with anything we needed.

The food was excellent!! Chef Dan can do some cookin'! Everything he made was wonderful and the desserts, no matter what it was it is melts in your mouth. I believe he could make cow pies taste great! (Pun intended)

The place is far enough from the mainstream to get some much wanted rest and away time, but yet close enough to where you could drive to other attractions in the area. On grounds they have a game room, tennis court, shuffleboard court, swimming pool and fishing pond.

The horses were awesome! I had never been horseback riding and it was a great experience. There was a little bit of excitement on a couple of the rides, but anytime you deal with animals there is an unexpected element. They have a mind of their own and I completely understand and respect that. The trails were beautiful and I enjoyed brushing the horses down after the rides. The horses are treated well and you can tell that Hanna and Mark take their job very seriously and truly care about the animals.

I highly recommend Pisgah View Ranch to anyone looking for a rustic get away, especially animal lovers.

Once I get my pictures back I will upload some to share with everyone interested in this locations. We will hopefully be going back for another visit in the near future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
14 Thank ncbeaglegirl
Cary
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We really enjoyed that fact that the cell phone had no service and no TV. Our cottage had a beutiful view of the mountains. This is a retro/rustic retreat and just what the doctor ordered. The food is excellent and the staff and guests very friendly. We are very much beginner riders, but our horses were calm and the guide confident.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank caredanmonster
cincinnati
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Our trip to Pisgah View Ranch NC was completely stress free. We roamed the grounds, swam in the pool, we looked forward to the dinner bell ringing - Chef Dan created terrific meals. The cabins were clean and comfortable. The bedrooms/bathrooms were large and homey - plenty of ambiance. I can only imagine how beautiful this ranch is in the Fall. The cabins and main building sit down in the valley of the Smokey Mountains. It is interesting to note that Ashville, NC is only 15 min. away. Ashville reminded me of a mini San Francisco, very eclectic, youthful city. The terrain was similar, although not steep hills going to the ocean, but fairly good sized hills going down to the The French Broad River.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
14 Thank myko20
San Mateo, California
Reviewed August 18, 2009

This place is FANTASTIC!!!!! We've been coming here for years for an annual August family reunion with four families and kids ranging in age from very young toddlers, to teenagers and the college set -- and there's always something for everyone.

Mark and Hannah are now at the helm and have spruced up the Pisgah View experience... great horse trails wind through the 2500 acre property with safe, gentle horses and experienced guides so the whole family can ride.

The 2009 addition of Chef Dan (formerly of Key West fame) adds an upscale gourmet element to the traditional southern-style menu that is a welcome upgrade, including fresh vegetables from the garden, gourmet delights, and a Key Lime Pie that has made Gourmet Magazine sit up and take notice.

New additions to the activity board, campfire cookouts, cowboy shoot outs, live music, a refreshing pool, and a slow, casual pace of life make this North Carolina retreat a real destination station.

Wireless internet in the main ranch house allows you to plug in or check the golf scores, if you must... otherwise, bring your stompin' boots, a good book, a love of Bluegrass music and the smell of fresh mountain air and get set for a hidden treat. Kick back on the one of the screened in porches or sit a spell in the rocking chair, and you'll soon see as we do the magic that is Pisgah View Ranch. Well worth the drive from Charlotte, Asheville or a flight in from California or New York. What a gem, we've already booked for next year!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
15 Thank LanaG_SFBAY
Ohio
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I stayed at the Pisgah View Ranch with my nieces and nephew for 5 days in July. We parked the car and never had to go anywhere else. My nephew has a severe peanut butter allergy which they accommodated very well. We went horse back riding, hiking, played in the creeks and swam in the pool several times a day. There is entertainment every night, we loved dancing to country music on Mondays, seeing Cowboy Action Shooters on Wednesday night and enjoyed ourselves every day! The cabins and houses are very comfortable and beautiful. They are nestled in the trees and by streams. I loved not having to cook or do dishes, the food is great. This is a great place to stay with your family and unwind. Asheville is nearby to shop in and explore if you want to go there also.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
10 Thank emptynester333
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 1, 2009

When I was gushing about my great stay at Pisgah View to one of the managers, he summed it up by saying, "We have great beds, great horses, and great food." That's exactly right.

The cabins have old-fashioned (think 1970s, not Victorian) decor, but are scrupulously clean. Mine had obviously new linens and shower curtain. My cabin was right across from the barn, and I was able to sit on the porch in the evening and watch the horses. I had a parking spot right next to the cabin, which I would have appreciated even more if I'd had my family with me.

I only stayed one night, but was able to ride twice. My horse was perfect for me. I have some experience, but haven't ridden in a long time. My horse was perfectly gentle, but not exhausted and brain-dead as some of the horses I've ridden on trail rides at other places have been. There were two 7-year-old girls one one of the trail rides with me--first-time riders--and they had no trouble controlling their docile, friendly horses. The wranglers were able to give us all tips without being condescending.

For dinner, we had a cookout while being entertained by a folk singer. Both food and music were excellent! The staff was so friendly that I didn't feel at all out of place, even though I was the only solo traveler staying at the ranch.

The scenery is breathtaking. The mountains are gorgeous and the woods magical. The location deep in a valley did mean that I couldn't get cell reception, but there is a phone in the main house that guests are welcome to use, even for long distance calls.

I can hardly wait to visit again. Next time, I'll bring my family. We have always wanted to go to a dude ranch, but most of the ranches I've found online are a)in the West (naturally); b) very expensive; and c) only available for week-long stays. Pisgah View is closer to us, less expensive, and available for shorter stays. We hope to visit next summer!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
11 Thank Goosemom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Candler
CedarWood Inn
CedarWood Inn
#5 of 11 in Hendersonville
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
The Residences at Biltmore
The Residences at Biltmore
#23 of 65 in Asheville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
The Inn on Biltmore Estate
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#11 of 65 in Asheville

Been to Pisgah View Ranch? Share your experiences!