“Weird smell, thin walls, but cheap”

Days Inn Asheville West
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Candler
Reviewed December 20, 2008

Was visiting Asheville for a friend's wedding, and found this hotel which was much cheaper than other hotels, but a bit farther away from the wedding. The location right off the exit was convenient enough since I had a rental with GPS. Being cheap, I didn't expect much more than your average road motel, which is pretty much what this Days Inn is. The room was reasonable, but the main problems were thin walls - the room I was in had a door to the next one and you could hear anything they did nextdoor. You can also hear whenever somebody goes up or down what must be the loudest metal stairs ever constructed. In the mornings there was a strange smell I couldn't identify outside, fortunately it didn't smell too bad inside the room, or at least I couldn't smell it once I went back in.

Some of the staff were friendly enough, others less so. But checking in or switching my key when it stopped working meant a solid 15-20 minute wait while the women behind the desk had to wrangle with the computer which seemed to be running MS-DOS from circa 1987. Not good if you have a meeting or dinner you're running late for.

I'd say this Days Inn is OK if you're passing through for a night or two and really want to save some cash. If you're willing to shell out a few more bucks it might be worth it to go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank squishlefonke
gmdiaw, General Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to do a review on our motel. I lets us know what we are doing well and what areas we can improve in. Your concerns will be taken seriously and thank you again for sharing them.

Reviewed December 12, 2008

We needed an inexpensive hotel as a stopping place on our way to Tennessee. With a AAA discount, this was the best value we found in the Asheville area on I-40. The rooms were adequate but may need some refurbishing soon (the ceiling light fixture in the bathroom had a big gap). Breakfast was decent, nothing fancy. Would stay there again for the price. If you're using this as a homebase while visiting Asheville, keep in mind that it's about 10-12 miles west of the city.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TarHeel
gmdiaw, General Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2017

Thank you so much for your feedback. Your concerns will be taken seriously and we hope you will give us another chance in the near future

Reviewed June 22, 2008

To begin, let me just give a little bit of background of myself. I am a 30 year old female who is well traveled. I have stayed in everything from the Days Inn to the Hilton and Ritz Carlton and many other resorts in the U.S. and abroad. If any of you have ever stayed at the Days Inn you should know in advance what to expect. I was told that this particular one was diamond rated! Well I have stayed at Diamond Rated hotels and this is not one of them. Not sure how they achieved their diamond rating. However, the hotel was clean and met my needs. I had read a review prior to visiting about bed bugs so I searched feverently upon arrival and didnt find anything of the sort. The hotel has had recent updates but still looks somewhat dated. If your looking to visit the Asheville area and dont want to pay $170+ prices for a hotel and dont mind about a 15 minute drive to downtown and the Biltmore then I would consider staying here. They offer a continental breakfast which includes orange juice and apple juice, 2 types of cereal, buscuits and gravy (which were surprisingly good), bagels, pastrys, donuts, and a few other odds and ends. Not a bad breakfast. They also offer dinner which we didnt take advantage of but it sounded decent. If your staying here know what to expect, the location is not prime. There is a flea market across the street, and a gas station about .5 miles away. The rooms are a sufficient place that will only meet your needs and certainly not exceed them. I would say that this hotel would be rated about 2.5 stars in my opinion. If asked if I would stay again...well I really think in hindsight that I would like staying a little closer to town. But if this hotel were a little closer to Asheville I would consider it again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We will become a better hotel by using your input.

Reviewed May 28, 2008

We wanted to see Asheville and Western NC for the Memorial Day weekend. This motel was offering very low rates, so we decided we would try it out at least one day. The staff was friendly upon our arrival, and let us see the room before we checked in. Everything was nice and clean. The room smelled good, and everything was in great working condition. The receptionist mentioned they had recently made some renovations. We ended up staying the 3 nights of our Asheville stay. The motel is about 15 minutes from downtown Asheville, so we drove everyday, but saved a lot of money and had a good night's sleep every night.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

We are very happy that you had a good stay. Thank you again for choosing us for your lodging needs

Reviewed April 21, 2008

My husband and I needed a room for the night after our train ride on the GSMR. I was able to pay for the room at Days Inn around 9:45 in the morning to assure we had a room after our trip. The staff was VERY nice. Our room was extremely clean and well-furnished. We were treated to supper and breakfast, all included in the price for our room. Using a discount coupon from Room Saver, we were VERY well pleased with the rate we got. Every room includes a microwave and a refrigerator, TV with cable, iron and board, coffee maker, hair dryer......all you need to make your stay comfortable. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were nice and fluffy. Clean carpet too. This is a quiet place to stay, even though I-40 runs nearby. If you stay on the side opposite the interstate, it is very peaceful and quiet. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We are delighted you had a great stay. We hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2008

Thank you for the renovation. I have stayed at this property 3 or 4 times a year while working in the area for several years. I am happy to see new granite vanities, furniture, new walk ways ect. Johhny and Marise where a huge help to our crew and made sure everything was enjoyable. We sure do like the free supper served every night and the new owners.
Stan

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
gmdiaw, General Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2017

Thank you for your kind words. I will share them with my entire staff.

Reviewed November 9, 2007

My husband and I decided on a last minute get-away for our anniversary and unfortunately for us, the hotels in Asheville were booked. We found this Days Inn on the Internet and thought that, since it is a chain, it must have a minimum standard of safety and cleanliness. Wrong! The exterior was crumbling. The walkway on the third floor actually had potholes right in front of the stairway where you could easily trip and fall down the staircase. We weren’t happy about that but decided to overlook the decrepit condition of the hotel.
But the worst was when we woke up in the morning, my husband saw blood splots on the sheets. We picked up the sheets and saw bugs. We then picked up the mattress and saw MANY bugs. The beds were infested with bedbugs! I came home with at least 50-100 bites that became big red and itchy for at least a week. We looked up bed bugs on the Internet and discovered that if you bring them home to your house, you will have a big headache – they are impossible to get rid of. People end up throwing away their beds and furniture just to get rid of them. Our happy last minute getaway has turned out to be a nightmare. And the owners have been completely uncooperative concerning this problem.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TwoTravelingTarHeels
fossildoctor, General Manager at Days Inn Asheville West, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2008

We are deeply sorry that this customer had a bad experience at some point in his travels with bed bugs. I can assure you that it was not at the Days Inn West. We have documentation from the health department that there was no evedence of bed bugs in the room in question. Once again we are sorry about the guests experience but can assure everyone that the Days Inn West in Candler does NOT have bed bugs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Candler
Quality Inn West of Asheville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Asheville West (Biltmore Estate)
Sleep Inn West
Sleep Inn West
#16 of 66 in Asheville
Red Roof Inn Asheville West
Red Roof Inn Asheville West
#40 of 66 in Asheville
Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center
Holiday Inn-Asheville Biltmore West

Been to Days Inn Asheville West? Share your experiences!