“Good Effort at New Chinese Place in West Asheville/Candler”
Review of China Grill

China Grill
Ranked #11 of 18 Restaurants in Candler
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is a new place at Westridge Shopping Center in West Asheville/Candler. We certainly need more Chinese and other Asian places in this area and plan to support this spot.

It's basically a take-out place. There are five or six tables in a storefront next to Rite Aid drugstore in the Westridge Shopping Center. You order at the counter, mostly for take-out.

While this is not gourmet Chinese, it's the equal of most Chinese restaurants in Asheville and better than many. In order to judge it, we ordered dishes we often order in local Chinese restaurants -- Orange Chicken, Moo Shoo Pork and Sweet and Sour Pork, along with appetizers of a spring roll and eggs roll plus fried dumplings.

The Orange Chicken ($9.75) was excellent, and a huge serving. The Moo Shoo Pork ($5.25) was very good, and my wife though it was some of the best we've had. The Sweet and Sour Pork ($5.25 for a pint) was a little odd, just pork fried with corn starch and served with a sweet sauce, no peppers or pineapples or such. We also had fried dumplings and the egg/spring rolls.
The whole thing came to around $30 plus tip.

Again, not the best Chinese we've ever had, but in Asheville beggars can't be choosers. We'll go back and sample more of the menu and suspect we can find a lot of things we like for a take-out meal. For the $30 or so, the two of us got plenty of food for two or even three meals. No complaints on the pricing.

Best of luck and sye-sye to the hard-working Chinese family that is running this new restaurant.

1  Thank LanSluderBelize

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Purposely over charged and taken advantage of. None of my order was right and several things were added. When I called back she knew right who I was and confessed to the overcharging.

1  Thank Mountainadventerure
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My son and I went there this evening 4/17/2014. When we walked in everything looked neat and typical for any chinese restaurant in the area. We ordered our food to go and sat and waited patiently and others came in to get takeout orders while there and then noticed another couple received their food before us and they were behind us when ordering. Then witnessed all the cooks leave and go to the back door, completely visible for a smoke. The american girl at the desk asked what we ordered and realized somehow our order got missed while 3-4 orders were in at the same time prior. The employee went to the cooks smoking in the back which I could see and told them about the mishap. They blew out their last puff on cigarettes and promptly returned to cook our order which had been misplaced. They went from cigarettes straight to handling pans and throwing food in the pans without washing their hands at all. I promptly went to the register and asked for my money back and they did so without question when I told them I would not eat that food that was completely mishandled. I just wonder how many times a day this happens!!! Proceed with caution at this place!

2  Thank Kenny L
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé had been waiting to try this place since we first saw the sign. It is now open and we decided to have dinner there the other night. The restaurant has nice and clean, with simple decor and the staff were very friendly. The food was excellent! We have sampled most of the Chinese takeout restaurants in and around Asheville and this is as close to our favorite as we have experienced! I had the sesame chicken with lo mein and an egg roll. It was delicious! My fiancé had the hibachi steak with lo mein and crab rangoons. She really liked her meal and I even sampled it myself; the steak was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. We can't wait to go back and try other options!

3  Thank boostjunki84