“A Wonderful Zoo Experience”
Review of Aloha Safari Zoo

Aloha Safari Zoo
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Cameron
Cameron, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Zoo Experience”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've been to many a zoo, and I have to say that I was quite happy with my experience at the Aloha Safari Zoo. They're a family run place, so don't expect manicured gardens, but do expect a good experience that brings you closer to animals without breaking the bank! My fiance and I went for the day and spent only a little over $20! It's a great way to spend a nice day.

It's a wonderful gem hiding in the least expected place. From the road, it looks quite small, but once you get on the ride, you really realize how big it is. The exotic animals they have include a variety of monkeys, a grizzly bear, two Bengal tigers, and wolves! The one thing I will point out is that their website is outdated, and their tigers are no longer cubs, but they're still wonderful to observe.

Overall, we were very impressed with the zoo. Aside from the animals, our favorite part was knowing that this zoo was family run, and they are devoted to the animals. Some employees live on the property, and the majority of the money goes into improving the animal’s enclosures. It’s not the flashiest zoo with cheesy souvenirs, but you get to see the animals up close, and know that they’re in a better place than they were before. This zoo is worth the admission and the trip, no matter how far.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Elise R

NC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place, but not a lot to do.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very nice place, but not very big. It was neat seeing all the animals but we were done in less than an hour.

Visited October 2011
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Would rather pay more for a "real" zoo.”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Went in the morning in the middle of July. Paid $15 for two adults and a toddler. The toddler didn't really notice some things, such as the bear and the tigers, since there was so much wire fencing. He played with dirt and rocks instead, even though he loves animals and is learning how to say them all.
We didn't do the safari ride because it was so hot, so the whole outing lasted less than 30 minutes. Not worth it, in my opinion. The gift shop house smelled so badly of animal waste I couldn't stand to be in there to check out those animals (fox, rabbits, small crocodiles, rodents.) We didn't see the giraffe, presumably because it was hiding out in its shaded shelter. It's a shame that you can't see half of the zoo without paying more for the safari. I would recommend going later in the summer, early fall or spring when it's not so hot.
Also, the only restrooms are two port-a-potties. One of the teenage employees smoked a cigarette in one right before I used it, so I was gagging on the cloud of smoke left over. Not nice!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jenn W
Sanford, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not your average zoo... ... ...”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

It is completely out of the ordinary! It's a great way to share a unique experience with family and friends (and some other wild life!).The zoo is small and intimate and is really a refuge for exotic animals that have been raised by ignorant humans. Again, not your average zoo. Many of the animals have been adopted into their "forever home" at Aloha from private zoos, people's backyards, circuses or Hollywood film sets. They are cared for by several volunteers - many who are Veterans that are still committed to serving where they are needed. Kudos to them! Thank you! My first experience at the Aloha Safari Zoo left me wanting more. I learned so much about the animals and the team of exceptional volunteers that dedicate their days to the care of these creatures. It is an immaculate setting - the animals are well taken care of, just like members of a family. How many times do you get to cuddle with a Giraffe or play with a monkey, pot bellied pig, or miniature horses? The environment is very intimate and the owner and manager are on hand to share the stories of the animals and show you how to interact with them. The zoo is also a training place for service members that need to learn how to work with Camels or other animals they will encounter while serving in the Middle East. The owner, Lee, is dedicated to our service-members and is constantly giving back in gratitude for their service.... ... ... ... ...I highly recommend a visit to Aloha Safari Zoo. It's a great place for a memorable date, family outing, or a sweet afternoon for two.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank Seanna J
Sanford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Aloha Zoo Loves US”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Aloha Zoo is a great addition to our community! They are loving people whom work and volunteer to take on unwanted animals. They do a great job growing and taking care of what they have. They have a porta john for now for the bathrooms and lots of stations to wash your hands. They have a tractor ride and a small gift shop to help support their animals. All the staff is friendly and knowledable. Now it is a country zoo/farm, so it is centered around the animals, not the people! Aloha zoo and Lee (owner) always welcomes our school with open arms for field trips and always makes it a great learning experience for us and our students! Not only does he welcome us, he volunteers his time and takes his animals to our schools for special days to educate the children. He welcomes people to help and volunteer from highschools and is pleasant to everyone. We are thankful for Aloha Zoo and all they give to our little community! Thanks!

Visited April 2012