“Nice surprise, better than expected”

Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort
Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I were taking a trip down the East Coast. While in NC, we decided to stay in Calabash for 4 days because of its proximity to Myrtle Beach, golf courses, restaurants, etc. We stayed in a one bedroom condo in the Commons II, and it was really nice. There was a full size kitchen with everything we needed, large family room with flat screen TV, eating area, bedroom with another flat screen TV, bathroom, plus a washer/dryer.

The bedroom had two double beds, and we were told there were no queens or kings.....surprising in a place that large. The next day we came back to our room in the late afternoon, and the dirty towels were still there, beds not made, etc. I called the office only to be told that there was no housekeeping. We didn't know that. It had never been mentioned. It was acceptable to me, but it should have been stated somewhere that this is the way it is. I asked if there was any way to get clean towels and was told to wash them. OK. I get it now. Even though I considered the condo to be well furnished, it didn't have a hair dryer in the bathroom. I initially thought it was just missing from our unit since the kitchen was so well stocked with everything we needed. But one call later, and I was told that the units do not have hair dryers. I didn't bring mine from CA, so I did without.

The grounds were nice, and this was a gated community. Golf course was enjoyable. Everyone we encountered was friendly except for the staff in the office. The Southern hospitality that we encountered in most places was missing there.

Overall, we were impressed with our condo and the amenities at Brunswick and would definitely come back. Once I realized there was no housekeeping and no hair dryer, I put that behind me and enjoyed the rest. It was a very good deal.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank igolfCA

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I spent this past weekend at Brunswick Plantation, and was very impressed. I needed to get away for a little business and pleasure, so i decided to get outside my comfort zone and stay at Brunswick. Everyone I came in contact with was not only professional, but very nice (that is including the people working at the gate). My room was a "lockout" and although small, it suited my needs. It was clean, bright, and relatively quiet. Check-in went quickly and the lady was extremely nice. I checked out a few of the immenities, however, I did not get to experience the dining, or golf. I felt very safe in the area, and the grounds were beautiful. I would love to visit again for a longer period so I could try the golf area, etc. Would be a nice place to live!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed in a lock out unit and found it to be above our expectations. Pool area very nice. Grounds excellent in a gated community. Ten minutes to beach. The only concerns are: Full sized beds in the room, wish were move up to queens. Also no elevators. We stayed top floor six flights of stairs with luggage.

Room Tip: Booked on priceline for a great price.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We will stay here again. The resort was great, great staff and the accommodations were excellent.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We paid for two nights here, but left after the first night. We were in one of the "lockout" rooms which can be used either as a second bedroom with the main condo or rented separately. Unfortunately, there is NO soundproofing between these rooms as you would expect to find in a regular motel or hotel. With nothing but thin walls and a door separating the units, you can hear every word spoken in the adjoining room. Our neighbors were at least five people (all in a one bedroom) and their preferred method of communication was loud shouting. We tried to drown out the noise with the ac and a radio, but it was just too much. We gave up and went home early.
Plusses: clean room, near beach and golf
Minuses: no soundproofing, outdated decor, tv only got one channel, coffee maker didn't work, Internet fee and very poor connectivity, rooms not ready at check-in time of 3:00 pm as promised (there are at least ten groups waiting in the lobby for their rooms on any day. This is a result of insufficient help, not on slowness on the part of the staff), beds are very firm and full size, not queen, no refund for Internet paid in advance when we had to leave early due to excessive noise. No apologies from staff.

1  Thank greenplanner
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The upside - we were able to book for a three night stay, bring our dogs (for an extra $30 a night), close to food/shops/north myrtle/sunset beach, responsive front desk staff, beautiful exterior property, the price was reasonable, bathroom sink/shower/toilet clean, kitchen clean, full kitchen, washer/dryer, security guard @ entry gate.

The downside - the ceramic tile floor throughout the unit had not been mopped for a very long time. After the first day the bottom of my feet were "black". My parents stayed in a similar unit and they had the same complaint about the tile floor and the bottom of their feet having a black residue. The linens are low quality. Cleanliness of the extra blankets/pillows is questionable. No elevator, try to get a 1st floor if you have problems with steps. The exterior steps need powerwashing. Found a prior guest's underwear under the family room sofa.

Items to be aware of -units do not have blow dryers and some do not have irons. househeeping does not come everyday (if booking, inquire w/front desk).

Would stay again if I knew housekeeping and linens improved. However, if management would offer an option for guests to bring their own linens at a reduced rate....

Room Tip: Request 1st floor if steps are a problem.
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We came down for a dance competition and were not expecting much, but we were extremely surprised!!!! The room was clean, and the staff was very accommodating. This will now be our new vacation spot!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank kwhite2042
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calabash
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#2 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Brunswick Plantation Golf Resort? Share your experiences!