“Greedy Liars!!!!!!!!!!”

Calabash Fishing Fleet
Ranked #1 of 5 Tours in Calabash
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Woke up on the day of the trip to horrible weather...call to see if we could cancel/reschedule..they said no-the weather would not be an issue. WRONG-THEY LIED TO GET OUR MONEY. Made us go out in horrible weather...whole party puking before even starting fishing. Returned early and asked for refund...we were told they make all there money in 3 months so they can not cancel any trips, even when its obvious they should. Horrible..do not book this company.

3  Thank Amber M

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family, 10 adults and 4 children under the age of four, booked the Miss Calabash for a private, 6 hour deep sea fishing excursion that was to be the highlight of our summer vacation along the SE coast. The day before we were to go on the trip, the weather turned sour with lots of rain and wind. We called to confirm the trip was still on and they said yes. I reminded them we had several small children, including an infant, in our group. As we were staying in Myrtle Beach, about an hour’s drive south of Calabash, I again called early the morning of the trip as the weather was still ugly and we didn’t want to make the trip if we weren’t going out. Again, they assured us the seas would be fine and we were fishing. We made the drive, paid our money and got on the boat with high spirits.
The dock is located in an inlet, which was calm, so we felt we made the right decision. WRONG! As soon as we left the shelter of the inlet, the fury of the ocean took over. We were tossed about unmercifully on the hour long boat ride to the fishing grounds. ALL of the children and two adults had vomited before we got one line wet. For the next 4 hours we continued to be battered by heavy seas while attempting to catch rock bass so small we could not even keep them. By the time we threw in the towel, all but 3 adults have vomited their breakfast up. It was an absolutely awful, depressing, expensive puke festival! Four of the adults were too sick to even touch a fishing pole and instead spent the entire 5 hours moaning and groaning on the floor of the cabin (which was putrid).
I cannot blame the sea for being rough or the fish for being small. My problem lies squarely with a company that will sacrifice the health and safety of children just to make some money. These guys have been doing this for many years. They knew what the ocean would be like. They simply did not give a crap that their greedy decision would probably prevent four children from wanting to go fishing for a very long time. Like any profession dependent on the weather, occasionally one has to take a hit in the pocketbook when things get ugly. Calabash fishing fleet does not subscribe to this policy. As you can read from the many poor reviews here (wish I had), the Calabash fishing fleet DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU and only wants money.

7  Thank Nicholas M
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I discovered this fleet last year and have fished numerous times with them. We fish almost every week in New Jersey and in Central America so we have lots of trips to compare the Calabash fleet to. We find the crew very friendly and professional. This is a good boat to take the family out for a few hours on the water and to experience catching fish. We have always caught a good number of fish which doesn't happen everywhere. Yes, there are a lot of "future keepers" but the idea is to feel a fsh on the line and reel it in. The price is very reasonable and includes a rod -not standard in other areas. The captain knows where the fish are and moves the boat once it drifts off the site. There are actually few tangles considering the number of inexperienced participants and they are dealt with as quickly as possible. The boat is clean and there is a good selection of snacks available for purchase. You may bring your own snacks aboard although there is not a lot of time for eating. Do not bring glass bottled beverages. Trips do get cancelled when weather conditions, such as wind, would make the trip unpleasant or if there are not enough people to cover the expense of taking the boat out. This happens everywhere. We have tried 3 other fshing companies in the area and find this to be the best.

1  Thank dianelu4
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Aug 6 2013, my husband and I who are experienced fishers, along with a family of three with their 12 year old son boarded the Navigator for a half day of fishing. We opted for the 8:00AM-12PM exercusion. It was obvisous that the boat was going to be full, which meant alot of tangled lines. No lie there. I counted over 45+ people on the boat. It was over booked and there were not enough poles in the allocated rod holders for everyone. A father with his two sons 10 and 13 from Indiania who were next to me, and also fish brought it to the attention of two mates that he did not have a pole to fish with upon departing the dock. An hour later after we reached our destination to begin fishing, he still did not have a pole and brought it to the attention of the mates again. His sons began fishing and when his sons line began tangled with other lines, there were not enough mates on board to adress the issue. Two mates for a filled boat of 45+ fishing was not sufficient, especially when the sharks begin biting the larger bait. This young boy was neglected. My husband shark catch had gone under the boat to the other side tangled about five other lines on the other side. With only two mates on deck, one was untangling my husband line which took about 30 minutes, and in the meantime sharks were being snagged left and right, but the mates could not address it because they were short handed. Not only that, beware if you enter the fishing pool. You do not win the whole pool for the biggest/heaviest fish. They should call it a 50/50 instead. My husband was the winner of the fishing pool which was $140.00, but was only given $70. They split they pool with you and give you a free ticket for a return trip to be used within one year. I complaint about this procedure, for most people fishing are on vacation and would not likely becoming back to use it. Was told that is how it's done. After fishing many times in our lives, we would not ever use this fishing fleet again. Our hotel recommended it, and I suggested to them that they do no continue to do so based on our experience. To my surprise, I was told they never had any complaints. Speak up people, if your hotel refers you and your disatisfied please let them know in hopes that they will stop refering people. This was one fishing trip that will not be forgotten and will continue to be told.

5  Thank ddpuddles
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our second trip on the Calabash and probably our last.
while i was paying for myself, my two kids and two friends.
While we were on the boat and was not catching much with squid, they started passing out live bait (fish) and people started catching sharks which is better than nothing, but for some reason the young ones with me kept getting looked over until i finally said something. And then about 10 minutes later we left for the dock.
My sons line broke and he missed the last 15 minutes fishing.

2  Thank tayty