All reviews third floor ocean front top floor bunk beds full kitchen the outer banks king suite semi private deck the cottages living room nags head laid back washer dryer great fishing watch the sunrise pots and pans mini fridge
Reviewed August 24, 2007

BEWARE.... The Lighthouse View Motel has a policy that they are not responsible for equipment failure. I found this out when I showed up to my room with a broken air conditioner in August. Hotel Management was quick to point out they have a sentence in their brochure stating, "Refunds will not be made due to inclement weather or equipment failure." What this means in real terms is that if your air conditioner, shower, regridgerator, etc.. is broken, the hotel is not repsonsible for fixing it or refunding or pro-rating your bill. What was even more madening was the attitude the hotel staff and management took. A direct quote when we called the front desk to let them know our A.C. was broken when we checked in was, "I don't know what to tell you." When we asked a manager when our A.C. would be fixed he told my girlfriend to, "open a window." The hotel did not feel like this was their problem! Assuming the previous rentors did not notify the hotel about the broken A.C. and it had been properly maintained, the air conditioner breaking was not in control of the hotel...what they do have control of is charging full price for rooms lacking what they advertised. Nice location...but can't say I'm willing to risk my week vacation next year on a hotel that won't guarantee an air conditioned room in the dead of summer, nor is willing to compensate me for what I did not receive.

• Stayed: August 2007
7  Thank laxcoach
LighthouseView, Management at Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2007

In response to the review titled "Beware of equipment failure policy!!": This guest failed to let potential guests know that after his AC complaint, our maintenance staff placed a window AC unit in his apartment. Upon inspection, the unit cooled the apartment to 75 deg. This took place on Saturday evening (the coolest day of the summer). A licensed technician checked the unit on Monday, ordered parts and the unit was repaired on Tuesday. In our remote area, prompt service of this nature is a rarity. Had the situation been irreparable, naturally compensation would have been made. This was not the case.

Reviewed June 22, 2007

We stayed at the lighthouse View Motel for three nights, May 29, through May31. It was great! We stayed in a third floor villa, and it was roomy and comfortable. This is not a "fancy" place, but clean, and one could not ask for a better view. Each morning we got up and went down to the beach to walk and enjoy the sunrise, and it was lovely. This was our first trip to the obx, but hopefully not our last. We would choose this motel every time. Don't hesitate to stay here if you like the beach house atmosphere and some peace and quiet.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Seniorcoupleluvtogo
Reviewed June 16, 2007

My husband and I just spent two nights here to celebrate our five year anniversary--June 15 and 16. We loved the area, and you can't beat the location! We stayed in a non-smoking, king-size bed, ocean front room on the second floor, The bed was SOOO comfortable! Our room was wonderful....I think it was recently remodeled. The room next to us was being remodeled while we were there.

The first night was very, very quiet...no loud guests. We are quiet people, and we're very particular about NOT being around noisy people or smokers. The second night was o.k. other than some guests deciding to talk on the balcony/walkway next to our room until midnight. Management leaves at 9 p.m. so there is nobody to call if you have a problem after 9. Why they didn't just go out on the beach to hang out is beyond me.

That was our only (minor) issue.....management was great, room was great, and the location can't be beat. I saw a cute cat while we were there, I think the motel staff takes care of it.

Enjoyed our stay! Be sure to visit Ocracoke, that island is awesome!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeachLiz
Reviewed June 11, 2007

This is our 13th year staying on this property. Urge anyone who is interested to try to book one of the round cottages- you cannot get any closer to the water than this! Year after year, our cottage has had upgrades (new furniture, new kitchen, etc), and the management is very friendly. Great walking distance to everything in Buxton and a close walk on the beach up to the lighthouse. We are champagne taste kind of people who still enjoy our beer budget cottage. One of the most enjoyable aspects is that year after year people come back during the same weeks in the summer... that should speak volumes to any family looking to have a traditional week away- forget the crowds, the traffic, and fast food restaraunts. Enjoy the week of spending time with your family!

The beach has a sandbar that you can swim out to and enjoy looking for shells- not to mention a great fishing spot!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank PClovesOBX
Reviewed June 6, 2007

We drove into the parking lot to pick up our friends for dinner, who were staying here, and in about 15 seconds we were accosted by a female member of the management staff and she rudely demanded that we leave immediately because we had our dog in the car! (who is very docile) We explained that we were only picking up our friends for dinner, but she would have none of it and threatened police action! We were still in the car with the motor running! Of course, fearing that she would become even more agitated and unpredictable, we left to try to contact our friends. I'd never recommend a place with management staff that exhibited such behavior. My advice is stay away!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple