“A Romantic Getaway”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Waukesha
“A Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

My partner surprised me with an overnight stay at the Inn. Not only was I surprised because it was unanticipated, but because the facility was so beautiful. The Inn is a very intimate location. There are three buildings (yet they did just purchase another) and about 11 rooms - each with its own distinct personality. We had a beautiful view of the sound from our balcony, incredible service, and very nice conversations with the staff. They worked very hard to make everything special for us, that it almost felt like we were the only ones there.
I do wish that we had stayed more than one night, as there was so much that we could have done!
The only part I found a bit awkward was that the balcony is divided with a very crude wall - it does not go all the way to the edge of the balcony, so it is not a private balcony. But it was still very lovely.
It is definitely expensive, but well worth the experiences!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If something seems too good to be true it probably is, take 500+ excellent reviews for example. My wife & I stayed at the inn 6/26-6/28 2012. Let's start with the good, cleanliness, the place is spotless, the grounds, the common areas and rooms are immaculate. The amazing thing was you never noticed groundskeepers or maids, they must hire ninjas. We had the first room off the kitchen/restaurant and will say the noise wasn't an issue, what little we heard even from our balcony wound down by 10. We loved our room, the robes, tub, and most of all the view.
Now for the missing stars, I see most of the stellar reviews appear to be for catered wedding services, not the Inn itself. My issue is with the restaurant staff. After a relaxing first night we walked literally ten steps to breakfast, arriving at 8:30. We both ordered coffee and water. The waitress ( only one & new ) came back with 1 coffee, 1 water, 15 minutes later. She did this at every table and was clearly overwhelmed. It took 1 hour 45 minutes to get coffee, half a grapefruit & a BLT. The sandwich was cold so it was obviously a waitstaff issue not a kitchen problem. Stopped by the front desk to share my experience, hope it was better for others, we skipped breakfast the second day as we did not have 2 hours to kill.
On to dinner the second evening. We fully understand the fine dining experience, this has nothing to do with impatience. We had an 8:30 reservation. First off there is no host or hostess area so when 4 different couples walk in it creates congestion. We would have sat at the bar but there wasn't a bartender, just 4-5 waitresses racing around telling you they will be with you in a minute. Twenty minutes later after hearing waitresses tell the head waitress/hostess they couldn't handle anymore tables because they already had 4.... we were seated. Twenty minutes later we received water and an excuse about the ovens being backed up so no bread ( must have been busy catering a wedding). The hardest worker there was a busboy, who walked around and made excuses. The waitresses had tunnel vision they would walk by 4 tables with empty water glasses and alot of scurrying with empty hands while numerous tables needed cleared. It was a 45 minute wait with our empty water glasses for the main course. The food was good but I have a hard time believing the owner and/or manager could have or has done what we did for a total of 4 hours over 2 meals and rate it 5 stars.
So I recommend the Inn, try the restaurant once if it is similar to our experience don't expect it to get better.

• Stayed June 2012
6 Thank boatingjason
, Owner at The Inn on Pamlico Sound, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I recall this guest well, as our staff asked me to personally apologize for their experience in our restaurant. No guest should have a service experience here that is less than excellent. While our goal is 100% guest satisfaction, we do our utmost to acknowledge when we fail to deliver to our high standards, which happened on two counts for this couple.

There was indeed a new breakfast server on who joined us just before their stay. Her inexperience was compounded by a more experienced server failing to show for a scheduled shift. While a replacement server did arrive, it was too late to improve the breakfast service for this guest for the single morning they had breakfast with us.

The service issue at dinner was not in any way related to a wedding, catering, or any other commitment on the part of our organization. Our restaurant regularly runs at capacity while we also serve an offsite catering event. We do so close to 100 times per year with no impact to service standards. The issue was simple but unfortunate. Just prior to this guest's stay with us, our Cafe Pamlico restaurant was positively reviewed in three major regional periodicals. Already full to capacity by reservations, we were effectively overwhelmed with walk in customers wanting to dine with us, seating at our bar, and waiting for tables to become open.

While in one statement the reviewer comments that there was no hostess, in another section they reference a discussion between servers and the hostess. There was indeed a hostess trying to accommodate the unexpectedly heavy traffic. Our managers stepped in to stop any additional bar or "walk-in" customers. We make no excuse; our staff erred in trying to accommodate too many waiting customers without reservations.

I apologized personally to this guest twice. The first time when their breakfast service was delayed, the second as they departed their room at the end of their stay. I knocked on their door to apologize and offer whatever accommodation they would like to make amends for the unacceptable level of service, in keeping with our 100% guest satisfaction policy, i.e., we will make it right to your satisfaction or the service is provided with our compliments. They indicated they were running late for a flight and did not have time to discuss, but assured me it was behind them. We were glad for the positive comments they made on all other aspects of their stay, both then and in their review.

We do need to clarify that, contrary to the observation of this reviewer, the vast majority of reviews for the Inn are not for weddings, but for lodging and dining experiences. There are a number of recent wedding and catering reviews solely because June is our busiest month for weddings and almost all of our event guests leave highly satisfied reviews.

Readers will want to note that our Cafe Pamlico restaurant has a separate restaurant listing, is presently the top ranked restaurant on Hatteras Island, and is ranked in the top 1/3 of 1% of all Outer Banks restaurants and the top 1/10 of 1% of all restaurants on the NC Coast. We encourage readers to examine reviews of our restaurant that appear in our hotel listing and in the separate Cafe Pamlico listing to obtain a balanced perspective on guest experiences in our dining establishment.
Hendersonville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I worked with Steve and Forest for them to cater our wedding on Hatteras Island. They were nothing less than exceptional, courteous, helpful, timely, professional and the food was excellent! We had about 60 people in our destination wedding in Buxton (not at the in, but a house close by), and they worked with us for about 9 months before the wedding, gave excellent organization and pricing for keeping a running menu that we were happy with. HIGHLY Recommend this this company and staff. At the end, the bill was exactly what they projects and all of our guest had nothing but great things to say about the meal and service. Thank you Again! -Stewart and Rebecca

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Granger, Indiana
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The Inn is tucked away in a less hurried part of Cape Hatteras. It is amazingly comfortable. There are plenty of resources to play: bikes, kayaks, and more than one thousand movies to enjoy. I only wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I loved our stay. They have outstanding service and beautiful rooms! They provide free use of their kayaks and other beach gear, 3-course breakfast (delicious), and plenty of snacks and drinks. The staff is awesome and will make sure you have a wonderful visit. I absolutely recommend staying here!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank GinnyMcC
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This was my first trip to the Outer Banks. Living on Cape Cod I was eager to see the differences and similarities of the hospitality industry. I now believe that the Cape Cod Board of Tourism should have a conference at the Inn on Pamlico Sound to learn what true inn keeping and stellar service is really about. The staff were truly amazing, funny, and sure could teach the staffers up here quite a few things. I hope they all got a piece of cake.(heard it was YUMMY.Dietary restrictions prevented me from having any) As mom of the Bride I had no worries just smiles and calmness. Steve, God Bless You and your truly remarkable staff. I'll someday return and bring Maggie some dog cookies. Mona

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mona m
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had our wedding at the Inn. The staff and chef were out of this world!! Everything was EXCELLENT!! Jennifer,the co-ordinator, was extremely helpful and great to work with. She made arrangments with the best local businesses on the island. The food was superior! I would highly recommend The Inn to anyone that was planning a wedding at the Outer Banks. It was my dream wedding! and definately "stress free".

Room Tip: I am sure what ever room you pick you will be pleased.