“5th Awesome Visit For Us and Our Pup DJ”
Review of Cape Pines Motel

Cape Pines Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed July 25, 2013

When Ron asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year....I didn't hesitate....A weekend at Cape Pines in Hatteras...we didn't go last year and I really missed it. It was kind of last minute so we were lucky to get a room at all. As it turned out....we got the last room outside in the courtyard...these are the pet friendly rooms and a rocks throw from the pool. I usually bring stuff to cook there but our 2 double bed room only had a fridge. (room #5) Not a problem...we cooked everything on the grill outside and used the microwave by the ice machine. It was fun !!!They think of everything here :) As always our room was spotless, floors slippery clean and beds were comfy. Our goal when we stay here is to relax and spend time with our aging dog. This is a vintage gem here in Hatteras and the perfect spot for us to do just that. When we found this place 5/6 years ago...we knew where we would stay from now on when we visit the Outer Banks....Ron, DJ and I look forward to seeing yawl again real soon !

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are the pet friendly rooms....if you like to cook, ask for a suite with atleast a st...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our first visit to OBX, and I chose CAPE PINES MOTEL based on the majority of favorable reviews. Having visited the motel website, I learned of the recession buster special (5 nites for the price of 4 and upgraded to a deluxe room) thus adding one night to our original stay. I was very impressed with our Deluxe room with a king size bed. Although not on the beach, it was only minutes away to a nice beach, with easy parking and direct access to beach. We stayed Sunday through Thursday, departing on Friday. It was a quiet and relaxing stay. Just read the previous review, and I don't understand who would have come out yelling. First, we were told upon check in that the pool was open from 10 AM to 9 PM. The owner Bill wasn't there on Sunday, but we saw him and met Chuck, and both seemed very nice. I can't imagine either one of them yelling and cursing. So perhaps there was another person on duty on Sunday. At any rate, this was a perfect stay for our first visit to OBX. Took advice from other reviewers and visited Orange Blossom Bakery, Uncle Eddy's Custard, and the Old Gray House gift shop! ALL were EXCELLENT! The Gingerbread House in Frisco is another great place for a quick breakfast. Took the ferry to Okrachoke which is worth doing; chartered the OUTER LIMITS at Oregon Inlet for a fishing trip and caught tuna and dolphin, captain and mate were great! ALL in all a great trip, and I am thankful for the positive stay I had at Cape Pines Motel!

Room Tip: Main House has remodeled rooms, and I thought these were great!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marian9785
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel as we always travel with our dog Lisette. Friendly lovely place. Rooms are comforting and very very clean. We rented two rooms and both rooms were excellent. Very close to grocery store and Lighthouse. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Cape Harreras.
This hotel has a lovely little garden path in the back of hotel. Around the corner you can visit the "The Old Gray House". Great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank meemo56
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Fourth year of staying at Cape Pines. There is a reason it is simply awesome. Great Staff, clean spacious rooms. I do recommend this place to everyone. Right across the street is the coolest grocery store in the world Conners Market. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Close to all the fun on Hatteras...

Room Tip: Get the suite. Save money eating out with a full kitchen...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim B
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just returned from Cape Pines Motel in Buxton, NC and as always loved it. I work in the hospitality industry so I know when I say this is a clean, friendly place and of course its great that we can take our dog with us. We didn't bring her this time as it was only for 2 nights so stayed in the 2 story part (our 1st time) and were pleasantly surprised! We will keep coming back to this motel....close to the beach & GREAT fishing!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kris M
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights at Cape Pines Motel and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Room, particularly bathroom, was very clean. Both Bill and Chuck were courteous and very helpful. If you get a chance to see Heidi (English Bulldog) on her skateboard, don't miss it. For fishermen, there is a fish cleaning station and a guest freezer.

Next door to Grandma Gray's house, very interesting and truly an eclectic antique shop.

Recommend both highly.

Tim Savage

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank savagetb
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chose this place because it was pet friendly and the reviews were good. We got to the motel and there were locals hanging around all over the place and starring at us awkwardly as we checked in. We got to the room, which was all but derelict and it had a terrible musty smell. The shower, aside from being too small to fit my frame, had black mold caked on the bottom of the door and there was no spot for my wife to do makeup or hair. Additionally the cleaning lady seems to be a woman with an Ikea bag of assorted spray bottles and thats it. Nothing adequate enough to clean our filthy room; so that explained a lot. She also works for tips.... Needless to say, after having a chuckle at seeing the tip sign in our room, we dispensed her nothing. We brought extra bedding to sleep in, however our efforts were futile because our dogs ended up with fleas anyway- either from the room or the disgusting "dog park" out back. Being a career Army dude, I've stayed in some pretty austere conditions... For the price here, the stay and condition of the quarters were deplorable. Will not return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Nick R
Bill R, Owner at Cape Pines Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

We regret you had such an unsatisfactory stay with us for three nights and did not approach the management at the beginning of your visit. We are on property 24/7 to assist in any way possible. Your choice of adjectives used to describe our rooms, pet area, the "locals" (guests... I presume), and our housekeepers is appalling. The terms "derelict", "filthy", and "disgusting" are neither appropriate nor accurate words to describe our property. Neither our guests nor Dare County Health Department is in agreement with your assessment of the Cape Pines Motel in general. We do acknowledge an oversight with the condition of the shower door and this has been promptly corrected. And if you found fleas on your dogs, they most likely came from elsewhere. We had the room prfessionaly inspected and found none.

We are positive that whatever ticked you off to write such a scathing review could have been handled in a more civilized manner by simply bringinig it to our attention. That's why we are here. And we do care.

Should we have been unable to rectify an issue with your room or could not have offered an alternative room to your satisfaction, we would have refunded your money shortly after check in. Possibly you would have enjoyed your visit to Hatteras at another establishment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Pines Motel? Share your experiences!