“We tried it again...we were disappointed again”
Review of Diamond Shoals

Diamond Shoals
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located adjacent to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Diamond Shoals Restaurant has been serving up the finest local fare for decades. Known for its friendly atmosphere, fresh seafood and southern hospitality, folks have been coming back to Diamond Shoals, year after year, for its award winning clam chowder and crab bisque, homemade crab cakes, and Hatteras Island's only sushi bar. Enjoy a selection of steaks, sandwiches, the island's largest salad bar, an extensive kids menu, and fresh seafood caught by local fishermen.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had reservations for 7PM...at about 7:20 we were told that as soon as a party finished, we would get that table...they had just been served their food...we finally got seated at about 8:20...they wound up splitting us up and seating us at 2 separate tables,,,the server was pleasant and doing the best she could, but the garbage under the table from the prior parties would require a shovel and a rake to get out, and the kitchen staff destroyed her efforts...they were out of food that had just been announced to us as "specials"...our food arrived almost an hour later...the taste was lackluster and it was cold...they serve hushpuppies as an appetizer, they were greasy, tasteless, other than the grease tate and the consistancy of rubber....we had been there 2 years ago andd the place was pretty good...we tried it last year and found it to be not too good, but thought that we would try again....I would not go back there again

1  Thank MARKLI

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We were out exploring Cape Hatteras and stopped for lunch.I ordered and Salmon Rueben it was delicious. The group that was with me also enjoyed the north carolina barbeque sandwich it was huge. Prices very reasonable and good services, would def recommend.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Over the course of two days, we had both a dinner and a lunch at Diamond Shoals and were impressed by the food at both. Mind you, we chose this restaurant looking for fried North Carolina seafood...nothing else. That's what we ordered, that's what we got, we loved it.

Dinner was with a group of 6 people. The restaurant, with just one phone call ahead of our arrival, was able to seat us -- at peak dining hour! We were impressed. Service was a little slow and a little sloppy, but we were entertaining ourselves, so that mattered very little.

Our fried seafood platters were exactly what we expected. Very fresh fish, shrimp, scallops, clam strips, and a crab cake. All but the scallops were properly looked. The scallops were a bit overcooked. The crabcake was authentic to North Carolina -- which would be an insult to someone accustomed to Maryland crabcakes -- but it was quite tasty in its own right.

Others at the table ordered the fried oysters (more than ample portions) and grilled tuna (looked great and was deemed delicious by my sister). Sadly, no one tried the sushi though we saw several tables around that seemed to be enjoying it.

At lunch the next day, we went back for a basket of fried shrimp. North Carolina is one of the few states that has great shrimp and knows how to cook them. Diamond Shoals delivered with this tasty treat.

Props also go to the restaurant's hushpuppies -- another treat that those of us living north of the mouth of the Chesapeake never can seem to find (at least, not in an authentic Carolina form).

In the end, if I ever find myself back in Buxton, I'll go back to Diamond Shoals. I'm not sure I'd say the same of the other restaurants we tried.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I arrived around 8:30pm and ordered clam chowder which was good, but one of the cocktails was undrinkable and both of our entrees were horribly overcooked, including the broiled shrimp and scallops and my husband's fish. I think the cook just forgot that our food was in the oven to tell you the truth and since we were one of the last customers of the night, they just rolled with it. They gave us half off of our entrees, which was nice of them to recognize the problem, but to still pay $57 plus a tip and leave feeling dissatisfied with your meal is a slight bummer. No ambiance to speak of, just a tired old seafood place at the beach really.

On the upside our server was nice and chowder was tasty.

1  Thank cm4delta
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Breakfast here was awesome. Country ham was 4X8 inches. Our server was Brendie(spelling) She was awesome (and very pretty) we never had to ask for anything after our order because she already brought it before we needed it like she has ESp or something. I can't wait to go back.