“Great Service! Great Grouper!”
Review of Diamond Shoals

Diamond Shoals
Ranked #7 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Located adjacent to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Diamond Shoals Restaurant has been serving up the finest local fare for decades. Known for its friendly atmosphere, fresh seafood and southern hospitality, folks have been coming back to Diamond Shoals, year after year, for its award winning clam chowder and crab bisque, homemade crab cakes, and Hatteras Island's only sushi bar. Enjoy a selection of steaks, sandwiches, the island's largest salad bar, an extensive kids menu, and fresh seafood caught by local fishermen.
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I live in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina but hadn't been down to Buxton in years! My dad and I stopped in here and were pleasantly surprised. Pam our server was very nice and the grouper sandwich and sweet potato fries were fabulous! If you haven't been to Buxton before, it is worth the trip! Not only is there is good food but there's lots of natural beauty on Hatteras Island. Plus, the Cape Hatteras light house is a great attration!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Got here just before they closed for lunch-first time here. The waitress seemed a bit put out we got there right before closing, then was nicer later. Ordered food, and almost an hour later, it was served-party of 8. 2 bowls of clam chowder(claimed the best on the outer banks-very average tasting.) 4 seafood wraps, 1 grouper sandwich, and some corndog bites. ONE HOUR!! Waitress said, "If I were the cook, I'd make it for you now." (???) Asked hostess about the wait, only received an apology-no complimentary appetizer to tide us over; no free drinks(soft drinks all around, not even beer.) Don't know what the heck was going on...big mystery.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We went for the clam chowder, which was proclaimed the best, but I found it flat and lackluster. Needed more clams and texture, it was thin and mostly broth. It did have fresh herbs in it. I got the Fried Oysters and my husband got Fried Shrimp, the shrimp was the best of the two. Overall disappointing but maybe it is better at dinner time. I should have listened to people in the restaurant that kept talking about the grouper, maybe that was a better choice.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for lunch one day. Neither of us were impressed with the food quality here. I feel that we would have gotten much of the same thing at a Captain D's or Long John's. My clam strips mostly tasted like grease, and his chicken sandwich was very plain with obviously no seasonings. Our waitress seemed irritated that we were there and over charged us on our ticket. She fixed it when I politely told her that I did not understand the extra charges. Yet, when we went to the register to pay, the lady doubled our bill! She obviously fixed it when my husband pointed it out to her. I cannot say that I would eat here again. The food and the service just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a dinner here because there were lots of cars in the parking lot. We thought that was a good sign. Wrong!! It's not a terrible place, and seemed to be full of families w/kids, so maybe they cater to that crowd. We were not paying attention to the kiddy meals; rather we were interested in good food. That was not in abundance.

First, they had a weird system of three waitresses per table. It was strange, overwhelming, and confusing; I'm still wondering what the point of that was. Perhaps they were trying to do something like very upscale restaurants do, but here it was out of place and didn't work. We were brought complimentary hush puppies. I love a good hush puppy, but these were tough and bland. I suspect they were made from a mix. We had steamed clams as an appetizer and they were pretty good.

The best parts of our meal were the baked potatoes and the salad bar. This was an old school salad bar, with nothing particularly creative, but the veggies were fresh and crisp enough, for the most part. If you are craving salad while traveling, which we often are, you might consider this restaurant just for the salad.

The seafood entrees were overpriced and disappointing. I had scallops and my husband had mahi mahi -- both of us thought they were average. This is a seafood restaurant, and I expected the main dish to taste good and have some interesting flavor for the price. The scallops were bland and rubbery; I could not finish them. Also disconcerting was that with three waitresses, wouldn't you think we would get good info on which fish were local and some insights to help with our choices. The waitresses were uninformed and/or unsure of their knowledge. In fact they failed to point out the blackboard listing the daily catch; we discovered that on our own.

Altogether a disappointing experience. For a similar price, we found at least one other restaurant in Buxton that left Diamond Shoals in the dust. (See my other reviews.)