“The night guy ruined our 2 week vacation”
Review of Outer Banks Motel

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Leesburg, Florida
“The night guy ruined our 2 week vacation”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Carol Dillon, the owner told us we could park our second car behind our beach cottage #108 for the first week another couple stayed with us. The second night there the night person on duty placed a tow warning on their car. I spoke with him and he said either move it or pay for the tow that he was in charge. He told me to leave the office or he would call the police. I called him an [--] for being so rude and later apologized for my bad behavior and he even said "that's ok, I am an [--] sometimes". After I called Mrs. Dillon he said he didn't care if she said it was OK to move the car and if she wanted him to quit to make him allow us to park there. We only stayed 12 nights of our 14 for various reasons, but this put our vacation at an all time low on the second night there.
We have been staying here since 1990, but driving over 800 miles for that treatment will not allow us to stay here again. We will miss this wonderful memory of many good vacations.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank parrothead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
PITTSBURGH
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

They say they are Pet Friendly, but let your Dog bark for a minute, and you will see how Unfriendly they are! Don't stay here if you have a pet. They have certain room that allow dogs, but instead of putting people who just have dogs in that area they book their regular guest with the dog rooms and then they get upset if your dog barks. The rooms are very clean, the beach is rough at this location, and not very clean. I will never stay here again not treated very well by Owner and Staff very rude, needs to retire!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 1hurricane
Elkins, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in room 5A in November 2012 right after Hurricane Sandy. While most of the restaurants and businesses were closed we still had a wonderful vacation. The Outer Banks Motel is walking distance to restaurants and is literally located right on the beach! The rooms are not the fanciest but they are clean and comfortable. Our room was equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, toaster and coffeemaker - it was nice to have the option not to eat every meal out. We had ample storage for all of the stuff (the danger of driving to your vacation rather than flying!) we brought with us and we did not feel over crowded in the room. I would highly recommend the Outer Banks Motel to anyone looking for a relaxing, low key beach vacation. In fact we enjoyed our stay so much that we have booked the same room again for our vacation in October.

Room Tip: Room 5A has a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunniegarden
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I literally stumbled into this motel after a bad outer banks campsite experience. We found the accommodations and staff to be excellent. The staff that night went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and got settled in. We rented an efficiency and were spoiled for four days. This is literally steps from the ocean, right on the beach! The model is within walking distance of three bait shops and several restaurants. The unit was exceedingly clean, even by our high standards! The kitchen came equipped with everything one would need to make a delicious seafood feast and the beds were clean and comfortable, all linens provided and replaced daily. Having a secure front porch area was a convenient way to drop off beach accessories and keep the unit clean. A view of the ocean and the sounds of the surf from the bedroom. A clean and warm pool topped off a long day at the beach. Overall, this was one of the best travel experiences we've had in a long time. Highly recommended. Perfect for couples or small families. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Danal H
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you had a bad experience with your campsite experience, but glad that you gave us a try. We are glad to hear that we met your needs and hope you will come back and visit us.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have stayed in Avon on previous vacation week for the last 3 years. I did like Avon but wanted something closer to the beach and a nice room with out breaking the bank. After searching on the websites for different villages on Hatteras I came across the Outer Banks Motel. I read reviews and was pleased with all the comments that previous vacationers had said but you have that feeling that it isn't going to be what you envisioned the room or the view to be. I did look at the website and viewed all pictures of all rooms whether I was interested in the room or not. When we arrived as I put the key in the door I turned to my husband and we both crossed our fingers!! Well when the door opened we smiled ear to ear we couldn't have been more happy!! It isn't the Hampton or the Ritz but it was ours for 7 days and 7 nights and we loved every minute we were there. I will never stay anywhere else. I want the same cottage every time we go (which will be every year) I am obessed with the OBMotel. I absolutely live it there. We were so relaxed and enjoyed our porch to the moon and back!!! We had great neighbors and great families all around us. Felt very safe and secure. I just can't say enough about how great our stay was at the OBMotel. When we arrived another guest had parked in ourparking sspace the owner found the guest and apoliged as she resolved the mix up. Your cottages are marked for your parking space which is great!!!. I still can't put into words our great experience. We love it there. It was so much more than the website viewed but it was exactly what everyone said. Awesome View and Awesome Vacation. See you in June 2014. Counting the days more than counting days till Christmas.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank bcarp826
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It is awesome to hear our guests talk about having such awesome experiences while staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will continue to work hard to provide you and our other guests experiences like this in the future. We look forward to seeing you next summer.

Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Outer banks motel is such a great place to stay, all the rooms had been renovated recently and had brand new appliances and the ones that didn't I seen them replacing them! Rooms are clean and very nice!! The pool was cleaned daily and hot tub was so nice!! The rooms had enclosed porches which were smoking for the smokers plus balconies! The service was great very helpful when I had questions!! Overall I thought it was great!! Wonderful location near everything in Buxton, beaches were clean and not packed at all! I will return next year!! Its a very peaceful location away from the hustle and bustle of the northern beaches. Thank you outerbanks motel for a great week!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ae1124
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad that you enjoy our stay with us. It is our goal to make your vacation as simple and as enjoyable as possible. We our updating our rooms as lcd and led tv's have been added to many and the week you were here we were adding stainless fridges and replacing microwaves in some of the units. We look forward to having you with us next year.

Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have stayed with the Outer Banks Hotel for years due to the economical prices. We initially did not have a lot of contact with them due to the fact that we live so far away and usually get the key late and check in and check out. We had a bit of a problem last year when trying to reserve a room. The owner was upset that I had asked her more than once about room availability. She was very rude at that time and I told her I would not stay there anymore. She didn't really care, and hung up on me. I decided that it was not fair to not give them another try so we booked a cabin reservation. We called Monday before leaving on Thursday. We asked him to hold the room with our card but we were going to pay cash so we could save three percent. It was a tight trip financially this time and we needed to save every dime we could. When we arrived, the key was not in the box as promised. We called the owner and she came to the office. She stated that this was the second time this week she had to do this due to the boy she had working for her. She was not able to find our reservation. She said that luckily she did have a place we could stay for the night, and maybe even the next night but she was totally booked Saturday night. She acted as if she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in the cabin she had. "I wont charge you anymore for that one than I would have for the other one" was her parting words to us. We were exhausted and furious. We didn't even unpack the car, we just crashed for the night at 4 am. The next morning I spent an hour trying to find somewhere for us to stay that was in our price range but to no avail. The Landlord never offered to help us find somewhere to stay. Even though we were still fuming, we unpacked and accepted the second night at that place due to no other options. We had a cooler full of food we had planned on cooking to save money. We got cash to pay her and she charged us for two full nights. But she offered a ten percent discount for our troubles. WOW..... We tried to salvage what was left of the vacation. So much of our time was wasted finding somewhere to stay, driving around, and being mad. She had absolutely no compassion, no sense of responsibility for our predicament, all she had to say was that she finally found our reservation and they had booked it for the wrong weekend and that she was glad she had somewhere to offer us at all. Down the street for a bit more we found the Breakwater Inn. The owner was amazing. She gave us a room to stay in and a place to put our food so we wouldn't lose all of it. That kindness and compassionate went a long way and I will never stay at the Outer Banks Motel again. Nor should anyone else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank shenrythe8th
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry that this happened to you. We take full responsibility for the error in your reservation as it was taken by a new employee. We offered this customer a larger unit for the same price. Unfortunately, we were totally booked for the Saturday night of their stay. I recently had a hip replacement and have not been working in the office as much as normal. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#4 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Outer Banks Motel? Share your experiences!