“Would not recommend”
Review of Outer Banks Motel

Outer Banks Motel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was really disappointed with this Motel, the room was old, worn and generally dirty, the windows needed cleaning and the doors need to be fixed as they don't work very well. I dont write many poor reviews but this hotel is in a beautiful spot and im sure that with some TLC it could be beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank asapearce
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

First, we would like to thank you for your feedback. Some of our units have been updated including granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances. We also have an excellent crew of cleaners and strive to keep our units as clean as possible. We are glad that you enjoyed our beach front location and hope we can have you come stay with us again some time in the future. Thank you again. Outer Banks Motel

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am reviewing the Outer Banks Motel from the beach deck of my ocean front cottage as I type. As all of my previous reviews indicate, I'm borderline obsessed with the Outer Banks right now. I've stayed mostly near Kill Devil Hills so I decided to wander out to the Buxton area. I'm so glad I did too. I made the reservations months ago for cottage 108 on the ocean front. When these lovely owners described this cottage as ocean front they weren't joking. The tide often comes within 5 feet of the cottage deck! It's awesome!! I drove down from NJ and arrived late. My welcome committee were 2 beach crabs in the parking area. Upon entry I noted a clean pine scent throughout the unit. The cottage is furnished with modest furniture, so if you're looking for Hilton level furniture and amenities go elsewhere. However if you're like me and want solitude this is the place for you. The owner is absolutely lovely. She told me about the local attractions and what is available to guests. The motel provides free row boats to use In the sound across the street. There is a fully functional kitchen, dining area and living room with flat screen tv. 2 bdrms with 4 beds and 1 bath room. I came off season and paid 930 plus tax for a week. You'd pay triple that at some other beachfront places. I will make this a regular stop. I think this place has added to my OBX obsession!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank TDAHappyTraveler
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I can't say enough great things about this motel! It is always clean and the peaple who own it are wonderful.Our cottage is right on the beach, can't bet that for 940$ a week! We have stayed at several differant rooms and loved them All. See you in2 weeks.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank EveNov1
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Every time I have EVER stayed at the Outer Banks Motel it has always brought great memories and awesome places to stay. One trip the cottage we had was suffering from issues and without a second thought we were moved to a larger cottage for the same price that we had reserved the original. I cant say enough great words about this place. Its safe, its clean and very attentive to what their guest needs. I will never stay at another hotel chain in the Outer Banks Ill always go to the Outer Banks Motel and if they are booked then Ill change my trip to another week!

Room Tip: I tend to go for the cottage, you have more control over your environment and less worry about what...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kloonam
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Just got back from three wonderful nights at the Outer Banks Motel. We stayed in one of the motel complex units, and found everything to be clean and comfortable. It's nothing fancy, but the price sure is right, especially for staying right on the beach. There are enough eateries and shops nearby to meet your needs, and yet we were able to enjoy the quiet, laid-back pace of Hatteras. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Katie W
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I feel like I paid too much for the unit because I booked at the last minute. It was clean but dated and slightly rundown. We closed the bedroom door and then got locked in - we had to unscrew the door handle with tweezers to get out! We were told this happens often because of the salt air.... We enjoyed the proximity to the beach but wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissalovestotravel
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We booked over the phone just seeing the pics on the web. My wife fell in love with the pics and the ocean view. We knew our view was not going to be the best but we took it anyway. The first problem we had is you have no control over the A/C hot hot hot. The the A/C starting leaking water all over the floor. Then I forgot to mention the smell of cigarettes. The toilet didn't flush properly and the shower was so small your whole side rubbed the curtain. I'm average size man, I know what you were thinking.we call to get our money back for the second night that we booked and they said no to late but said they would give us another room. The new room had all the same problems A/C,toilet and smoke.everything is way out dated and the beds were so worn out you slept in a hole. In closing I would say anyone who gives this place good reviews is use to living in scwaller. Beware!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Tomofbrandon
Carol D, Owner at Outer Banks Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for your review. All of our units have individually controlled thermostats with central air conditioning except for one unit in the village. If an air conditioner goes out, we have window units on an emergency basis. All of our units are non-smoking. We apologize if another guest had smoked in the unit, but we try to enforce no smoking. A lot of our beds have been replaced in the past 3 years and many of our units have been remodeled as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#4 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Outer Banks Motel? Share your experiences!