“Great crab cakes”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This grill is great for what it is -- a down-home Hatteras-island eatery. The decor is casual and beachy. It was fairly deserted when we were there - mid-afternoon on a Sunday in mid-October--but I imagine it's crowded and lively in season. They were out of shrimp by the time we arrived, which was disapponting, but the crab cakes were excellent. The fish tacos were so-so--not bad, but I wouldn't order them again. The hush puppies were very good and very big, though they cost nearly $1 a piece -- overpriced in my opinion (though other prices were reasonable). A friend liked the catch-of-the-day fish sandwich. The iced brownie and the key-lime pie were excellent for dessert. Good, frendly service, and the chef came out to check on us.

There are newer reviews for Shipwreck Grill

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had lunch there with my husband - I ordered the crab cake sliders, he had BBQ sandwich. Mine was the better meal. Crab cakes had celery and carrots in them, different from any other crab cake I have ever had, but they were very good - rolls were almost too fresh; crumbled when I picked up sliders. My 3 sandwiches were topped with sauce, fresh lettuce and home-grown tomato and onion. My chips came in a bag. Coffee was good. The BBQ was decent, but a little dry. My husband asked for extra BBQ sauce, and this was very good, and fixed his sandwich. His fries were great. We ate on the screened porch, which overlooks the road and the Sound. The bathrooms are RIGHT there, so when someone opens the door you see toilet and sink, everything. Not much privacy, and odd that the restrooms are not located inside the building. Peptobismal pink for the ladies (including floor and ceiling! and bright blue for the men. Clean... A little odd view as we ate our meal!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was the first time I have been to the Shipwreck Grille and I must say, I was impressed. The staff was friendly. The food was reasonably priced (considering it's at the beach). The breakfast biscuits were terrific! I'll be back.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Expectations were not great. Shrimp in wrap and hoagie were superb - all else including friendliness, ambience, and food presentation lacked effort.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My eggs, biscuit, grits and bacon were perfect. My husband's "home fries" seemed to be made somewhere else. Fruit bowls were tasteless. My cappuccino was very good, plain coffee was average. Hate the styrofoam and plastic tableware which is ubiquitous on Hatteras.