“A Shipwreck indeed.....”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 27, 2012

With the amount of poor reviews on line, I am surprised that the owners are not getting the hint. I guess they are comfortable in a market with limited competition

The fact that the parking lot was empty at prime breakfast time was a red flag that I wish I had heeded. The service was ok, and quick, so we cannot fault the waitress who was really quite good. The food however (which is ultimately what you are paying for) left alot to be desired. The eggs were the only hot items on the plate, suggesting that everything else had been prepared hours ahead and then plated when the eggs were ready. The sausage was of a very poor quality, and we guessed it was purchased for the low price and nothing else. It was gritty, and full of fatty gristly bits that could not be chewed. The grits were hard and lumpy (again, cooked too far ahead of time) and flavourless. The toast was cold and un-buttered. The coffee was passable, but we can brew a batter cup at home. The final blow is the price, at $7.99 before coffee, you are better to stay home and cook yourself a decent breakfast with some good Jimmy Dean sausage and creamy grits, or (dare I say it), try the restaurant a little further south with the packed parking lot. You will note at the cash that "Chef Steve" has his business cards prominently displayed. We think the chef needs to re-evaluate his breakfast food selection and line cook, however, the name of the restaurant is bang on!

foodsurfer, General Manager at Shipwreck Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for your overly exaggerated comment.Let's start with your parking issue.There are three other bussiness located in the same building.Shipwreck grill,Fatty's ice cream shop,Day Dreams and sometimes Cape Hatteras Motel.So parking not only is in the front but extends over to the southside of our building which had over twelve cars not including employees.On the day you visited,we nearly ended up breaking a record for the most breakfasts done this year(in numbers over 200 people)Now to the food issue,All produce,protein,are fresh and rotated daily to maintain quality.You said Jimmy Dean sausage,well dear friend that was Jimmy Dean sausage.Since the day we opened breakfast,you are the first to insult the quality of our sausage.In fact we cook small amounts at a time so the sausage doesn't dry out in steamtable.As far as the toast not being buttered,we give the guess the option to butter their own due to health reasons.That's why we offer butter at your table.There is a toaster located underneath the heatlamps where your food is place before it comes to the table.Our grits are Stone Ground and cooked for at least an hour to assure each kernnel is cooked.Lumpy not a chance.Our coffee comes from Tidewater coffee company,One of the best coffees on the East Coast.The price you mentioned is as reasonable as it gets.It's only breakfast so there is no reason to charge anymore than other places do.We want the bussines.Now you make it very personal when you bring my name up for your entertainment.As far as my cooks go,they put out a quality product everyday and as far as my ability to manage a restaurant let alone my kitchen is not a complaint but a insult.Please come in and enjoy another experience at the Shipwreck Grill,you will never forget!A'du

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Quick service, but overall the food felt like it should have been served at a cafeteria. Not worth the price. Then they haggled with us when we forgot to use our coupon til the check came back

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Our trip was taken down a notch when we ate here. The waitresses didn't bring food in time and it was the wrong order! Do not go here. It was totally expensive. The food was pretty good but the service not so much. When we left we saw everyone smoking in the back! Maybe that's why it took so long.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We are not complainers in general, really, but think this Grill could do alot better with some small changes. The menu has a full breakfast menu but does not state times when they serve breakfast...so after deciding on breakfast food (of course) was told we were too late. A good idea would be to state the breakfast serving hours. One order was wrong. Ordered a crab cake sandwhich and got a BLT. When the correct order arrived, the other 6 in the party were finished ..eating.. Another order was a corned beef panini with sauerkraut and thousand island. They left off the sauerkraut and thousand island. The cucumber salad was way overdone in vinegar, could hardly eat it. The waitress must have been new and that's ok because everyone has to "learn"...I'm always patient with new employees but she couldn't answer a few simple questions about the menu...like if a sandwhich was served hot or cold.
All in all, it's not the worst place I've been to but it could surely make a few positive changes.

1  Thank Diane P
foodsurfer, General Manager at Shipwreck Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

I appreciate your comment.It just so happens this menu is a rough draft to the new that is getting printed as of now with operation hours posted for each meal.Inside the menu,we offer a lage selection of sandwiches.In the past custumers always asked for just a plain sandwich so with that in mind the beginning selections are for that purpose.Corned beef is one of the sandwiches listed twice.When ordering you either want the sandwich or the panini with saurkrout.Yes the waitress was new and questions like this should have been asked.As far as the cuccumber salad,that tends to be one of those foods that are not for the curious palet.Lots of vinegar and sugar to balance out the tartness.Our elderly locals seem to enjoy this particular dish.Constructive...MAYBE...but to judge Shipwrecks on one visit doesn't declare us to being "Out of wack" but just another restaurant dealing with custumers that like it their way only and new staffers with first day jitters.I'm positive that you will change your mind by visiting again.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Don't go there! Poor or no service, cold food and grumpy staff. I should have known better when the sign said Staff positions Available.

1  Thank Cw H
foodsurfer, General Manager at Shipwreck Grill, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

You lend very little to respond to.I for one take pride in the waitstaff and my assisting chefs.The head waitress/front manager was on duty showing no problems during that day.The kitchen not only was on top of their game but slow enough to prep for the following day.After doing my closing reports I notice we were very slow that day so service should not have been a problem.As far as "cold food" the kitchen is equipped with a 24"x 96" shelf and 4 brand new heat lamps covering the entire area so food will stay above warm temps. .Our sign does say we are hiring but only for positions not relating to service and kitchen areas.I'm at the restaurant everyday and if you wish to meet with me over your experience,I welcome the visit.Just ask for the chef.