“This place was really nice. Very clean, great price, nice people. Very close to the beach, and it's VERY beautiful here!”

Cape Hatteras Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Buxton
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Great price, really clean room, comfortable bed. Nice people. The beach is right outside your door, and is BEAUTIFUL. If you looking for some high class hotel with room service and a large TV you don't belong here. This place was awesome. I'd return any day :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2'nd or 3'rd floors for the best beach view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jason H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Ringgold, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My first impression of the room was that it smelled a bit musty. Started to fix coffee for the morning and when I got ready to put a filter in. housekeeping had left a used filter in it and there was mold all over it. Had to walk all the way to the office and the clerk was very helpful in cleaning it for me. There was no shower head on the shower. The room was in need of some cleaning and maintenance. For the price I expected better. If I ever decide to come back I hope to find a new improved room. I was happy with the room having such a great view of the ocean.

Room Tip: Building C has best ocean views. Although it may be the older of the buildings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl H
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I are 10 days away from our 5th visit to this establishment. We were supposed to be here for our anniversary in July, sadly my Mom past away the day before we were to leave. When I called to cancel, I expected to lose my deposit, as per the terms for the reservation. To my surprise, they did not penalize us, and were very sympathetic to my loss. Well I am going back to hatteras because it's a beautiful place with great people, laid back and caring. As for the property it is what it is, they make no bones about it. It's been battered by hurricanes, rain and wind, but somehow they pull it off, so in conclusion I highly recommend this establishment if you are beach lovers, fisherman or just want peace and quiet. I will post again after my stay, but if past history is any indicator it will be a positive experience. Can't wait for some fresh fish tacos..

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vjm4
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. It is an older motel, so if your looking for 5 stars look elsewhere, but if you like a great view, clean room ,nice people and salty air, then definitely stay here. Room was clean, yes a bit dated, TV was small, but really, if you come to stay here are you really going to sit in your room and watch TV? Great location right on the beach, nice outdoor pool across street, owners were friendly and had good information at check-in. Maid service was daily and did a great job considering all the sand we seemed to track in!! Sorry...
Highly recommend Angelos Pizza a block or so away, very good. If you like a "beach" house feel and a great location and don't mind not being at a Hilton, than I highly recommend this location. Great spot for family's and beachcombing too.

Room Tip: Get a room 2nd floor or higher to avoid "dune view"..unless you like looking at sand.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MSP-Mike
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you go there, you'll learn Buxton is a beautiful little village pretty far off the beaten path so things are perhaps simpler. And the Cape Hatteras Motel fits right in. We loved it! The folks working there were very helpful and friendly. While the room was older and simpler, both the bath and main room were large and we had everything we needed. We slept with the window open listening to the crashing surf right outside. You can walk for miles along the beach right from your room. We were fortunate enough to meet some park rangers checking out a sea turtle nest that had hatched days before and watched them rescue a few trapped baby turtles.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room on the beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thanks for your review. This has been a record year for sea turtle hatchings!
Memphis, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Two good things about this motel - it was ocean front and the bed & bath were very clean. However, I've never paid $200 a night at a hotel that has bare light bulbs in the ceilings and no drapes at the windows (just shallow mini blinds). The decor was stuck in the 80's and the old TV a mere 19". There are not many hotels in this area directly on the beach so their rate takes advantage of that. We ate at their restaurant once. The food was average and the wait staff was preoccupied with other locals.

Room Tip: You might be better off renting a house on the beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Over the past year we have replaced most of our old tube televisions with new LCD flat screen models, all in the 32 - 40 inch range. I am sorry that you were in one of the rooms that had not been changed over yet. This process should be complete by year end.Had you called the office we would have been happy to try to remedy that for you. I am not aware of any bare lightbulbs but have instructed my house keepers to let me know if they find one. We have a very busy place and sometimes things get overlooked. We actually like our guests to draw our attention to these things so they can be corrected and hopefully not repeated.
tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just came back from a week's stay in one of their townhomes. I was very disappointed at first. I had read reviews that referred to it as 'shabby chic'. That is half right--the shabby part. Nothing chic about it. What turned me off right off the bat was the carpet was disgusting to walk on in bare feet. It felt like a sponge, just grungey. I literally never went barefoot the entire time I was there. I threw a towel down between the bed and the bathroom linoleum so if I had to get up in the middle of the night, I wouldnt have to find flip-flops to go pee. I then covered the sofas with beach towels we brought with us because I didn't want to sit on them after my feeling about the carpet. (If they dont steam clean the carpet, you can assume likewise the sofas). But I really cant say I saw stains or dirt--I was just paranoid at that point. The bathrooms and ktichen were covered in linoleum and yes--they were clean. And as other reviews say, the beds were comfortable--and thankfully I could smell a bleach like clean on the sheets. (I removed the bed spread cover though and never used it once.) Despite being there for 7 days, a maid never entered on room--not once. (We were told upon arrival that if we needed clean linen to bring our dirty back to the office and they would change it out.) Laughably there was a little basket and a note in the townhouse that said "If you liked our maid service, please leave a tip". Needless to say...I didn't. Now for the positive: The townhouse faced due eass\t, the beach was right there, and there was a beautiful full moon for several nights, and beautiful sun rises each morning. Sitting on the balcony, in a rocking chair, and enjoying the sights and the sounds of the beach was lovely. The Shipwreck Grill across the street (owned apparently by the same owner) was great. Nothing to look at in terms of ambience, but great food, ample in portions, and served with unexpected beauty. Will I come back to the Cape Hatteras Motel? No. Back to the area? Likely. But next time I'll keep going and try out Oracoke Island.

Room Tip: Go for beach side--not sound side. And avoid the first floor, you wont have a beach view, you'l...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Swgapeachintx
Dave D, Owner at Cape Hatteras Motel, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
I am truly sorry about the damp carpet in your unit. That has been a problem this summer with the excessive humiity(more than normal). When this moist air mixes with the cold air from the airconditioner condensation takes place and the result is damp carpet. We are remedying this situation by replacing all of our carpet with tile or wood as our counter parts Florida and other humid places do. We replaced all the flooring in our oceanfront apartments this spring with tile and the feed back has been very positive. I wish you had said something when you were her so we could have tried to get you another room. As to no housekeeping; none of the motels on the Island offfer daily housekeeping in apartment style units. We learned long ago that people(especially those with children) do not want a housekeeper banging on their door all morning. Fresh towels and anything else you might need are available in the office any time that is convenient for you. I hope you will decide to stay with us again and if you do and things aren't right, please just let us know. Dave Dawson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buxton
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Outer Banks Motel
Outer Banks Motel
#5 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras Motel? Share your experiences!