“Wonderful Fresh Creative Cuisine”
Review of Cafe Pamlico

Cafe Pamlico
Ranked #2 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cafe Pamlico provides a world class casual fine dining experience through exceptional food, outstanding detail oriented service, an inspired wine and cocktail program, and gracious attentive Southern hospitality. Our contemporary coastal cuisine is driven by locally sourced seafood, meats, and produce. Our menu changes frequently in accordance with the fresh ingredients our chefs discover on the island, most notably the fresh local seafood we feature. We are committed to supporting local farmers and artisan food producers first, sustainable resources second, and organic third. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We were guests of the Inn & made reservations for dinner on a Saturday night. The location is beautiful with wonderful views from all the tables. There is a wonderful patio outside where you can watch the sunset over the Sound. Lots of lights are out there so you can also enjoy walking the grounds of the Inn itself including down to their private dock after your meal. There is a very small bar near the hostess area with only a few seats at it. I recommend getting a drink while waiting for your table & waiting outside to enjoy the view. All the seafood is fresh. That evening my husband & I both had the fresh catch (yup, caught that day) of Mako. Mine was with a pineapple teriyaki glaze & my husband's was chargrilled. The fish was HUGE & moist & wonderfully grilled. The flavor was amazing. Desert was a chocolate soufflet that we shared that was very delicious with fresh raspberries. Make reservations as they do fill up quickly.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We went this restaurant during a recent vacation. It looked like a great spot to watch the sunset and enjoy some good food and music. We did not have a reservation but the hostess was good enough to find us a spot. Interestingly even though she made an initial fuss, the restaurant was not full while we were there. The menu is extensive and changes daily with ample selection for all interests. The food was very good with large portions. Inside it is very small so watch your conversations because everyone can hear everyone else. In the end we received a bill that already included the waitress' tip. We were only a group of 4 so this is not standard practice and we weren't pleased. We also waited for some time to get the bill and then finally settle up.

1  Thank Onvacation5
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We celebrated our parents 50 th wedding anniversary as a group of 11 . I had called ahead and they also baked a small wedding type cake . Service was great cake beautiful and tasty.
Entrees tried included a delicious seafood pasta , pork tenderloin, grouper, and blackened tuna. The chef uses fresh herbs he cuts right from the garden. The warm breads were scrumptious. Everyone was happy with the food, but our 3 course meal took 3 hours Avery leisurely pace
The views of sunset over the sound were beautiful. Entrees priced around $38 but salads are separate and cost $7.
The staff helped us make lifelong memories

Reviewed June 15, 2011

I made reservations with The Inn in February 2011 for my daughter and her new husband, and family to eat after she was married on the beach on Wednesday June 8, 2011. It was a small party of family - 14 people in all. I requested one table for us all. I spoke with the owner who was very friendly and I felt this was the right fit for my daughter's after wedding dinner. The price was no object for us as this was a special occasion and we wanted what we felt was the best for our dinner.

When we arrived at The Inn the surroundings are beautiful. I walked in to two separate tables for our daughter's celebration of her wedding across from the bar area and entry door. Not only were there two tables, but servers were walking in between the tables which were quite cramped together, and also busing tables. We were unable to eat together and celebrate in a fun/happy way. I was disappointed when I walked in to this, however, due to the time (7:30 pm) and my daughter already taken by the atmosphere of The Inn I decided to stay. I did ask why I was given two tables, but the person I asked seem to be tongue-tied and not able to answer. My daughter said we would make it work. It didn't work. It was a stressful environment to be seated in this way. We were unable to talk and celebrate.

The food was wonderful. The servers and people around the restaurant were very friendly. When dining in a restaurant it is also about the experience of going there. I wish I would have left when I entered, however, hindsight is 20/20.

If you are thinking of going here and have a small party, I would recommend it. If you have a large party and are planning something as we did, be careful of your arrangements and make sure they know exactly what your expectations are. I thought I did, however, that is not what I received. If they have another large party or wedding going on, your party may be forgotten about and the arrangements you expect may not happen. For what we paid for the thought of going here again makes me ill for this reason. We can never have another dinner to celebrate the beautiful wedding we attended on the beach again.

I might add that I contacted the owner several times regarding my unhappiness, however, no resolution or reason for why this happened to us was ever communicated to me.

2  Thank MPerry01
OBX_Innkeeper, Owner at Cafe Pamlico, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

We have waited to respond to this review so as to not interfere in a family issue. Our staff set up the tables in accordance with our instructions from the bride. The bride was very happy with our services, and separately posted a wonderful review on our hotel review page. There appeared to be some interesting communications issue within the family, in which we thought it wise to not become involved. As the owner, I did respond to the mother of the bride very simply to let her know we had followed her daughter's instructions. We are glad that the bride and groom had a wonderful experience.

Reviewed May 18, 2011

We loved this place.

The view is just gorgeous. We sat in the corner looking out to the jetty and the sunset. We met the owner Steve and he was very helpful and friendly.

And the food...

The men actually looks a bit plain but OMG... excellent. Every single thing we had was excellent, beautifully plated, great blend of flavours, all tasty and interesting.

I started with a starter size of the risotto - absolutely fantastic blend of flavours. One of the best risottos I have ever eaten and I've had them everywhere. My husband Aaron had the tuna that was coated in something and it was lovely. Then he had the pasta, with a pesto sauce and scallops, shrimp and crab. I am not a big fan of pasta but this was incredibly tasty. And the scallops were local and huge. I had the tenderloin - again, beautifully cooked, lovely surrounding vegetables. All beautifully plated. Good portions. I thought the prices were about average fot this sort of meal.

Then Aaron the chocolate souffle and again beautifully plated...

A briliant meal. We were very impressed. We are foodies and we like good food. This was. We highly recommend this restaurant.