“Good versus bad”

Rusty's Surf & Turf
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rusty's Surf and Turf is an eclectic beach restaurant focusing on local sourced fish, seafood, vegetarian and steaks using styles ranging form local to global. If you are looking for fun, interesting and delicious or simple and strait forward, we have something for everyone! Now serving lunch and dinner
“Good versus bad”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We received a recommendation to eat here upon leaving the condo rental office. Below I have listed the good and the negative about our experience.

Good:
Went on Sunday, Sunday is their slow day, got seated right away for a party of 10.

Waitress was very nice. She wrote down her recommendations for things to do on the obx.

Bad:
Waited a long time to get the check after eating.

Portion were small(e.g. Added a bowl of soup to an entre, a coffee cup bowl was provided.)

Taste and flavor:
Quesadilla's had some spice to it.
Everything else was kind of bland.
Bluefish was very good with very little fishy taste.

Kids meals:
Chicken tenders were small, a little larger than BK's chicken fries. (4 per meal)
Fried mac-n-cheese was small portions. A 6 and 9 year old were still hungry after eating.( 4 pieces about the size of a fifty cent coin)

Linton, Indiana
“If you like paying way to much for dinky portions..this is your place!”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband doesn't like seafood and he was pretty screwed here. I thought with the name of this place he could find a decent steak or something to eat. Well the only steak they offered was $24 for a Hereferd Steak. NOT EVEN ANGUS! I ordered the she crab soup and the taste was alright, but my 11 year old started laughing at how small a bowl of soup it was. He asked what I was having to go with it! It wasn't anymore than my 17 month old could eat in a sitting. The Tea tasted generic and I don't think we were ever offered any refills. The best part was we ordered a orance juice for our 17 month old. It came out in a very small cup and was full of ice. I pulled the ice out and there was maybe 1/4 of a cup of OJ in the cup. I didn't say anything because he didn't drink it anyway but when we got the bill my 1/4 cup of OJ was $3.00. Next time we will skip this place and head to a family owned place!

• Visited August 2011
rustymidgett, Owner at Rusty's Surf & Turf, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Four cuts of steaks, three chicken dishes and over ten vegetarian selections. I am sorry the largest non seafood dinner menu on the island was not enough for your hubby.

Angus verse Hereford- the debate goes on.
There are many misconceptions about Angus, I have done the research. I decided to moved away from Angus after many tastings between these two breed specific beefs. I have concluded that the 'all natural corn feed Hereford' is currently a more consistent product. Hereford is constantly leaner, more tender and has better flavor. I believe it is due to the fact that the beef labeled Hereford is bred for these characteristics. Twenty, ten, even three years ago, I served the old standby Black Angus, however over the years, the line has become polluted and the name 'Black Angus” today means little more than fat black cow. (my humble opinion) For more information on Hereford cattle please check out the web. No, I do not own and of these cattle, it is just a product I believe in.

Bowl of soup for a meal? It is an appetizer meant to precede and entree. Like your son, I have to laugh... a $7 bowl of soup was never intended to be a dinner.

You don't like fresh brewed 'Luzianne' Iced Tea guess you are not from the south... I will not fault you for this. ;). Your little ones OJ, I would have been happy to replace it with one with one with out ice, my pleasure actually. I do try to make every one happy... but in the end, if it was not finished, it was plenty.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“If this is the best on Hatteras Island, think about heading for shore”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

After carefully researching restaurants on Hatteras Island, I chose Rusty's for our group's one night out. The hostess was pretty unfriendly, the wait was long, and the food was only so-so AND expensive. There is a big opportunity for someone to open a decent restaurant on this island. Save your money and go to one of the many family places where you can get an ok meal for a reasonable price. I really wanted to love Rusty's but they did not deliver.

• Visited July 2011
It is a shame that you only had one opportunity to dine out on your recent trip to Cape Hatteras and I do apologize if my hostess came off as unfriendly. In her defense (though this it is no excuse), we are often very busy and on a long wait... hungry people are not as friendly as people after a good meal. I am sure this wears on her.

As far as being expensive, I have eaten at every good restaurant in the island this season and most of the good restaurants on the northern beaches and I know for a fact that my prices are in line with other restaurants that serve same quality local seafood.

If by chance you are comparing my prices to your one restaurant outing last year, maybe you should go back and have a second look at their prices... we are all paying more for our food at restaurants and at grocery stores. It is called inflation, and we all suffer.

I will not substitute lesser quality imported product to keep a lower price point. I believe that our local seafood and our regional local produce is vastly superior to all others and our customers appreciate it and expect no less from me.

cortland manor
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wish there were more places like this on the outer banks!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Hey all, my family has been travelling to OBX every summer for over 12 years, we've been to many restaurants. 2009 my wife and I were out on a date, and passed "Rusty's", I know it was called something else a year or two b4 that. I know I was reluctant to try it, BUT we did, and now never miss an opportunity to go there. I am not sure how to say this, and am trying not to be rude. If you like "real" food, I mean if your a foodie, and enjoy fresh food, an interesting menu, SLAMMING desserts, then this is the place to go.
Remember I said I am trying not to be rude. I am from N.Y. and its my opinion, that many of the eateries down there offer the usual array of fried this, broiled that, plain and predictable. I have three small children, so when I am taking my wife out on a "date" I want to eat really good food. Rusty's is the place for that, we had Rustys calamari (pronounced "Gala-mar" not colli-maree) I dont know what he does to it, but its the best I have ever had! lightly breaded, sweet and yet spicy! My wife had the vegtable spring rolls, getting her Thai fix on. She was delighted with them. On the waitress' reccomendation (vanessa? with the red hair) I had one of the specials of the evening. Wahoo over a risotto, with crab meat layered over the wahoo. An interesting side of mashed taters, and fresh squash. My mouth is watering just thinking about that meal.
The wifey had some kind of spicy shrimp dish with a gravy, and pieces of sausage in there, having a very Louisianna look/feel to it. Her daqueri was perfect BTW, and my Corona was nice and chilly.
Somehow I knew we shouldnt pass up dessert, even though we we pretty stuffed. She had Rustys perfect standard, of Triple Chocolate Cake. Good Lord, it was one of the largest pieces of cake ever.(we took most of it home) As for me, I had something really cool, and interesting. I want to make this for a treat sometime for us. It was Banana bread "french toast"! Adding a spoon of Vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream, being melted by a warm syrup(which I think was some kind of liquor added?)
My goodness, it was a memorable meal. Look, if you like good food, and an interesting menu, go there, if you like plain jane style cooking(burgers, fried flounder), you can go there too, cause they have plain food on the back of the menu, and I am sure it tastes good . Is it pricey? Its a little more than some places there, BUT the food SO outweighs the price. Our waitress was great and very helpful, and we even got to meet Rusty, he's a great guy, seems real down to earth. Do not pass this place up!

1 Thank grouse789
Seymour, Tennessee
“Fantastic food, overworked servers...”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We visited Rusty's toward the end of our trip on a Friday evening. We went early (~5:00p) to beat any crowds (which there were after we arrived). Our server was the bartender as well, and did a great job when we arrived, business quickly picked up, and so did her work load. She was ringing up tabs for people waiting on the deck, people making t-shirt purposes, trending bar, AND trying to wait tables. Because of this, the service was EXTREMELY slow (took us over 2 hours to eat). I had the Pamlico Platter, and it was fantastic. My husband had a calabash plate with shrimp and crab cakes and he said it was really good. We ordered peanut butter pie for dessert, but were brought turtle cheesecake...not what we ordered, but it was good. After a week on the OBX, I feel like most restaurants cater toward larger groups, and those who are only couples get pushed aside. I would definitely go back to Rusty's if I knew service would be better, but watching larger tables served quicker was a bit frustrating...

1 Thank GrsmRngr
We are still working out the kinks of our full service bar. You are correct that there was too much going on for our one bartender. Business this season has been way up over the past couple of years and it has been difficult to anticipate the amount of guests to expect on a night to night basis. We are working on a couple new systems to improve our service.
I am sorry your dessert was miss-picked. If I had known, I would have sent the peanut butter pie you ordered home with you, complimentary of course.
Thank you for your feed back.