“don't waste your money”

Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Eating here is a decision my family and I regret. Bit of a wait to be seated - not sure why. People arriving after us were seated first. No explanation, just "I'll get to them next." Could have been the owner. Restaurant itself is very noisy and chaotic. Not a place to go for a relaxing evening. We ordered the clam chowder. Mine arrived with an opened sugar packet floating on the top. The waitress made no apologies, just said, "oh that one got past me." She brought another cup but I couldn't eat it anyway. It was the worst chowder I have ever had. Flounder sandwich leaves much to be desired, unless you take a magnifying glass with you to find the fish. Crab with lemon and butter - full of shells. Seafood platter - no taste except for the grease. We have eaten at many seafood restaurants up and down the Atlantic coast. This is by far the worst meal, atmosphere and service that we have ever experienced. The staff appear to not care if you are satisfied. They just want to herd as many people in as possible to get your money. Go down the street to Diamond Shoals for a much more enjoyable dining experience.

2  Thank missyk11

Reviewed June 12, 2010

Loved the Captain's Table. Went there twice in 5 days. They have a very extensive lunch menu at affordable prices. I had the catch of the day, fries, cole slaw, hush puppies and a drink all for $8.50 !!! The dinner menu is very large also. They start dinner at 5 pm but when we arrived at 5:05 pm the dining room was already packed. Can't miss.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband and I visited The Captain's Table in Buxton a couple of weeks ago. The place was hopping and the wait staff were few and a bit harried but down-to-earth -- our waitress got a special gleam in her eye when I asked about the clam chowder. I tried the North Carolina white wine and it was buttery and very like Chardonnay and it went quite nicely with the delicious Hatteras-style (broth based) clam chowder and house salad with baby greens. My husband had the catch of the day, fresh mackerel, served with yummy hush puppies. I also had my first ever taste of key lime pie -- wow! Thank you, all for a lovely meal.

Reviewed January 2, 2010

Did not care for food, service or the lady I believe to be the owner Donna??? very rude, Will not give another try.

4  Thank 1954lc
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We have driven by the sign for The Captain's Table restaurant many times over the years during our twice-yearly visits to Hatteras Island, and we always had assumed that it was a snooty, high-class place, This week, however, we decided we needed to try it, as we will no longer eat at Howard's Pub due to the terrible customer service. We were delighted with The Captain's Table. I don't think there is anywhere else on Hatteras island where you can eat so well for so little and be served as quickly and by such friendly and helpfuls staff. We're hooked!