“Our kind of place”

Ranked #10 of 22 Restaurants in Buxton
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband, son and I ate at the Captains Table while staying in Avon last week. We were taking in the area and wanted something to eat. We had passes the Captains Table a couple or times and decided that is where we would eat. Hubby got the Ruben, son had the crab cake basket and I ordered the "captains catch" basket which was Spanish mackerel. The waitresses were funny and quick. The atmosphere was old fashion but comfortable and we all loved our food. Nothing fancy, no flashy nonsense, just good local food at a good price. We will go back the next time we are there. It was exactly the kind of place my family enjoys because the people were warm and friendly.

1  Thank keb1

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've been coming to the Outer Banks since I was a little kid. This restaurant used to be called "Captain Daves" I believe. Back then they had hush puppies too. I was glad some years back to see when the restaurant changed names that they kept the pups and the same recipe. I would walk ten miles over hot sand for these things. Seriously. Every day we were at the beach I kept telling my husband that despite me being on a Isagenix cleanse I was going to eat a whole basket on my own and not feel guilty...and I did! The fish was great, the service was awesome and if you have a small party of people you should be able to be seated relatively quickly. Note, large parties will have a wait as this is a popular place for big tables of families or reunions.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Visited The Captains Table again this year (today actually) as we have for the last few years. The quality of food is not as good as it has been in the past. Each party at our table made the comment that their food was barely warm, the mashed potatoes had no taste. We tried adding butter (and even though I am not a salt person) I added salt which still did not add to the flavor. The baked apples also had no flavor and my oysters while crispy on the outside, the inside did not seem quite done. The waitress who was very busy was wonderful. While this has been one of our favorite restaurants I do believe after this visit we will take a break from it during our next visit. to the area.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This has all the features of a classic seafood restaurant, great nautical decor, staff was good, if a little over worked. Good menu. The problem was the food itself. Our Hatteras chowder was tasty but cold, our broiled seafood platter and stuffed flounder was overcooked. Doubt we will be back.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

At least the portions were big. But there was absolutely nothing special about the food. We had the - something - fresh caught that day - it was fresh, but tasteless. And the coleslaw was too sweet. The staff was friendly though, and there were two pirates eating there. I don't think they were real pirates (they wore cowboy boots) but that was sort of interesting. Cowboy pirates.

1  Thank TGV3