“Good food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Captains Table

The Captains Table
Ranked #10 of 21 Restaurants in Buxton
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
NJ
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We visited in June 2011 with three kids. The hushpuppies were AWESOME!! So good! Atmosphere was definately "southern." meaning it was sweet and nice! We liked Captains table and would go back. :)

Visited November 2011

Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States
“well....not too impressed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm on the beach. I expect better seafood than we had. It all kind of tasted the same, and our server seemed disinterested all night. Judging by the crowd, plenty of people like this place.
I expected more on the Outer Banks.

Visited October 2012
Belleville, Canada
“Busy place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Place looked promising from outside so we thought we would give it a chance. Pretty casual place. Waiter set up was weird as each waiter could have table in 4 different sides of room. They were certainly running. Our waiter didn't charge for clam chowder which he said was the bottom of the bowl. Price was about right. I made mistake ordering fried scallops. Very small and deep fried. Not what I was expecting. Salad was average and I should have had many beers to make the pain of this place go away. Reasonable price and not a lot of choices for us without driving 30 minutes from rented beach house. Group in my party rates it 4 of the 5 places we went while I have it in 5th place. Have had worse but just looking for better experience on OBX.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Big disappointment, worst steamer clams I have ever had!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at the Captain's table this evening at the recommendation of our hotel. I ordered the little neck steamer clams because several other menu items that I wanted were not available. I have enjoyed clams all over the world, and can honestly state these were the worst I have ever sampled. One dozen clams were served dry on a plate of salad greens with a couple of wedges of lemon. The waitress stated that they forgot the drawn butter so she returned with a plastic cup of butter. In short, the clams were so over cooked it was like chewing rubber bands! Surely there are better places to dine in Buxton. Management was unconcerned since I am sure they realized that we are just passing through the area. We have been driving in the OBX for the past week and this was by far my worst meal.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Louisville, Kentucky
“Enjoyable dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a party of nine on a Friday night- they were able to seat us in about 20 minutes which was better than expected. The restaurant is about what you would expect for the Outer Banks- nothing fancy but lots of old pictures and maps of the area on the walls. We were glad to see hot hushpuppies waiting for us at the table when we were seated. We were not as happy to find that additional hushpuppies cost about $5 per dozen. For something as cheap as hushpuppies it just doesn't make sense to alienate customers by charging for extras. Flounder was not available due to the sea conditions (they get just about everything locally and the boats could not catch flouder due to high seas). The blue fish was better than some we have eaten. The scallops and larger shrimp were very good, as was the cole slaw. The baked potato seemed like it had been sitting around for awhile, but we were able to overlook that. One of the better meals we had during our week at the beach. The service was not very friendly. No reservations accepted.

• Visited September 2012