“Buxton's best kept secret”
Review of Fish House Restaurant - CLOSED

Fish House Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Hatteras
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Buxton's best kept secret”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

This quaint and charming eatery offers a menu to fit every palate, appetite, and wallet. This former working fishhouse sits on Buxton harbor and reflects the character of a community who has made their living off the sea for generations. I have enjoyed the high quality calabash-style seafood at the Fishhouse Restaurant for years but this year, my party and I were delighted by lower prices and the addition of some new menu items including delicious fish tacos and wonderful burgers. One of our family’s favorites is the rich and creamy seafood bisque, and the amount of food on the seafood platter even left my big-eating husband stuffed. The staff is friendly and the service is good. Fishhouse Restaurant is Buxton’s best kept secret.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ThreeGirlsRCJ

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Nice location”
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Nice location. Decent food. Not my favorite, but would eat here if the group was going.

Visited August 2011
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My family has been coming to this restaurant on and off for the past two decades. We had 8 people and were seated right away. The server was great and the food was wonderful. It was a little pricey but the portions were good. The homemade desserts were a perfect ending to the meal! I would definitely recommend it if you don't mind the price.

Columbus
“Best meal ever on a paper plate”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The restaurant is not too impressive from the road as it is situated on a channel cluttered with old and abandoned fishing boats. Inside, it is modest, but clean. Silverware is not silver, but plastic (albeit heavy-duty) wrapped in a napkin. The food: OUTSTANDING! I had mako and my wife had tuna. The shark was very good. Her tuna was even better - perhaps the best we have tasted since vacationing in Kauai on our honeymoon. Even the sides were delicious - collard greens, cucumber salad, and the best hush puppies I have ever had. Rounded out with bourbon chocolate pecan pie. Don't let the low curb appeal fool you on this place. The chef is remarkable.

• Visited July 2011
North Carolina
“Still not what it use to be!”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Three years ago (2008) before a management change this place had great seafood and very reasonable prices.... we ate there often. We have a place in Buxton so again eating there summer 2009 once and have not been back since. We noticed a big change in both the seafood quality AND quantity. After asking, we learned the past long time owners sold to new management.... obvious greed mongers building a tourist trap. NOW, 2 years later June 2011 we took a gamble and once more my instints were right. I should have known being as at 7:00pm lots of empty tables. If I owned such a place I would be embarassed to serve such small portions for such Rip-Off high prices.

Prior to new management in 2008 we use to see for years & years a standing line waiting outside because of it's outstanding reputation. That has long past been the case at this location. Today.... 5 minute waite at best. Now you know the rest of the story!

• Visited June 2011