“A must in Buxton-Hatteras Island”

Orange Blossom Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Buxton
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Greenville, South Carolina
“A must in Buxton-Hatteras Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

If you like apple fritters, or in this bakery's term, an "Apple Ugly" you must stop by in the mornings to partake of their masterpieces. Truly the biggest ones I have ever seen, and for one person to eat it, would take quite an appetite. They have other pastries, coffee and a few chairs outside to sit, but our routine for years has been to go there for the Uglies every summer vacation in Hatteras Village. But beware, they do sell out, so get their early.

• Visited August 2013

High Point, North Carolina
“Try the Apple Uglie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I ordered two Apple Uglies when I went in. When I saw the size of them as the lady put the first one in a bag, I told her that I would only need one because it was Huge!!!!. The Apple Uglie is a combination of cooked apples, pastry and sugar. It is GREAT. But seriously, one is enough to feed three normal adults. They are only $3.50 each.

Metro Atlanta
“Don't Miss the Orange Blossom Bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed in Avon during our recent vacation in the OBX and this proved to be one of two "don't miss" dining experiences (the other is Buxton Munch Co.). How good was it? We stopped in the day before we left and loaded up on goodies to take home.

This is a cafe and bakery and has indoor & outdoor seating. The interior dining area features some beautiful photography of the local area. The service was fast and friendly and if there's a line, it moves along nicely. We visited several times and the breakfast sandwiches and baked goods were all excellent. The cost is very reasonable and there's plenty of free parking though the lot's layout could make it tight for larger RVs.

All the baked goods were "melt in your mouth" good and the massive Apple Uglies were a favorite.

If you're anywhere near Buxton on your travels, we highly recommend stopping in at the excellent Orange Blossom Bakery.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank skyaa1
South Seaville, New Jersey
“Apple Uglies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a gem of a find deep in the OBX. The food is on par with any great bakery/cafe. Coffee is tasty too. Please do not miss this regional classic and dont forget the Apple Uglies.

Arlington, Virginia
“My go-to for breakfast on lower Hatteras Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Over the years, I've stayed mostly in Rodanthe when visiting Hatteras Island. After driving so far from DC, I'd rarely venture further south unless it was for a good reason. In recent years, I started staying in Avon more regularly. And though it's only a ten minute drive from Avon to Buxton, I would still avoid the extra drive... until this year... My discovery of the Orange Blossom Bakery!

I'm not sure if it's the taste or just the name of the famous "Uglie" Apple fritter, but that part of it. Or the fact that I always still order the "Mondo" sandwich, thinking it can't possibly be that decadent (I'm afraid to order the lighthouse-shaped/stacked "Buxton" sandwich)... and always remember that it is. It's not really that special in terms of atmosphere. But the baked goods are big, sweet and intimidating. And the breakfast sandwiches will put you in their place. Even if I have to wait on a summer weekend, it could be worse... sit on the Adirondack chairs out front, sip your coffee and watch all the people on NC12 drive by, heading off for their next adventure. It could be worse :)

And yes, we discovered that the breakfast burrito is also quite tasty... And healthy dose of tomatoes, tasty sausage, and a girth that will keep you powered up through the day!

1 Thank MarkW74