“Nice tourist attraction.”

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Buxton
More attraction details
Owner description: The nation's tallest lighthouse was moved to a different location to preserve it.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I'd love to get inside the lighthouse but my luck has always been bad when visiting. Stormy weather or closed for the season. But it is a neat attraction to visit.

1  Thank Mike T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,326)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"great history"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2014

What amazing views from atop the Lighthouse. I would recomend calling to make sure that the wind is not preventing you from walking outside on the deck of the lighthouse. We were only aloud to poke our head out of a little door at the top due to the gusty winds.

Reviewed December 4, 2014

We had a good time at the lighthouse. It wasn't open for the season, which I can't understand why but we rolled with it.

We looked at the outside of the lighthouse, took a few pictures, saw the 2 museum buildings that were also closed, bought a postcard and a Christmas ornament from the gift shop and checked it off our to do list.

The grounds were well kept and the bathrooms were clean. I could see a family having a picnic in between the lighthouse and the museums but not knowing what to expect didn't pack one for my own. I'm giving it a very good rating because it really is the nicest looking lighthouse I've ever seen and the grounds were so well maintained. I imagine if the attraction was open I would've rated this place as excellent.

I will be back and recommend others to go for a peek~

Reviewed December 2, 2014

The park rangers at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse are very knowledgeable and friendly! More than likely, they've "heard it all," so they're prepared to answer most any question thrown their direction. The lighthouse itself is beautiful and offers breathtaking views from all sides, particularly facing the Atlantic ocean. The lighthouse keeper's home as well as the gift shop are well worth the drop-by time and the short video is interesting, as well. "Move of the Century" is probably the best video I've seen detailing the painstaking process of moving the lighthouse to its current location; the folks at the gift shop will be happy to help you choose just the right souvenir for the folks back home. Lots of stairs, so take it slowly, but you'll be glad you made the climb to the top.

1  Thank Chocolvr