“Food was really good but service was terrible”
Review of Kirkwoods Cafe - CLOSED

Kirkwoods Cafe
Cuisines: American, Bahamian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Kirkwood's Cafe... We are a very special cafe specializing in fresh homemade goodness with our daily specials, desserts, soups , salads, quiche, sandwiches, and more. In addition to our dinner specials, we have barbecue, sandwiches and our pizzas, calzones and stromboli. Come experience a friendly, intimate dining room setting where you can enjoy a good time with family, friends or hold special events and meetings. Our house band, The Typical Mountain boys play some of the best bluegrass every Friday from 12 - 2 pm. Then on Friday evening from 7 - 9pm we have our Open Mic night, highlighting some of our area's most enthusiastic and talented performers. On Saturday nights, have a great dinner and an evening of entertainment offered by the best of the best entertainers in our area. Beer and Wine served.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We came here for breakfast. Took close to 2 hours for a table of 7 to get served. My food came last - after everyone else had finished eating. The restaurant was not filled up by any means - really no reason for the delay but a very slow kitchen. It tasted great, the ambiance of the restaurant is really nice but just not worth the wait!

3  Thank Jess M

Reviewed September 5, 2012

After being seated for 5 minutes at 1 of the 3 occupied tables, I got up from my seat and found an employee to ask if we should place our order. " Oh no . Have a seat and we will get to you." After another 5 minutes , we were asked for our drink order. At the same time we were asked to place our meal order. " We don't know what you serve I replied." Then we got our menu.we were asked what kind of bread we wanted our sandwich on . When I asked what kind of bread they had she replied" I think we only have the one kind" We had a beautiful sandwich with cold and soggy bacon, fresh watermelon which was overripe and slimy and no napkins. Our waitress said she was training but I did not see any one training her. The next party seated had a different waitress and were given daily specials which we might have enjoyed had we known about them. The homeade bread was delicious but I won't be back. I should have given myself a bigger tip!

5  Thank MiMi50010
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The sandwiches are yummy and the service is awful. We waited over 40 minutes for sandwiches while the waitresses went out for a smoke.....

3  Thank gypsyred
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Charming place with live music at different times, artwork on the walls, dedicated owner and staff. Recent renovations moved them into larger space and they are building a lovely deck outside in the trees. Food was great, coffee would put hair on your chest. Little mix up in the order was easily remedied. Healthy options plus regular food, delicious home-made bread.The place to go in Burnsville.

1  Thank anniemax
Reviewed August 16, 2012

At the recommendation of a young lady at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Center during our visit to the Mt. Mitchell Craft Fair, we decided to grab a quick lunch at Mary Jane's Bakery & Cafe. Quick being the operative word here.

We arrived to find a VERY noisy and full dining room with one table getting ready to depart. We were asked if we wanted to sit outside, but my sister was afraid it was too hot and wanted to wait, something I wasn't keen on since it was so loud inside. When asked if we wanted to see the outside area, we agreed. There was a nice breeze so we immediately elected to sit outside so we could eat and get on down the road to our next destination.

There was one couple seated at another table on the deck when we arrived, along with a woman who arrived at the same time as us and had just been seated. The young lady who showed us to the table didn't give us menus when we were seated, but after about 5 minutes the waitress who was taking care of the couple came over and asked what we wanted to drink. We mentioned we didn't know since we had yet to see a menu and she replied “oh, I just happen to have two right here” and pulled from under her arm (nice, huh?) the menus collected from the couple. My sister ordered water and I a beer. The waitress asked if I wanted a glass with my beer and I replied “no”; she asked if my sister wanted ice in her water and she replied “yes”. Well over 5 minutes later, the waitress finally returned with our drinks and a cold glass for my beer, but no ice for my sister's water. We both ordered cold sandwiches and sat back observing that service wasn't particularly quick, but people were getting served.

Meanwhile, another couple I saw at the CoC when the place was recommended arrived and were seated near us (about 15 minutes after we were seated). We sat there wondering how long it took to get cold sandwiches as we noticed them getting served before us, and, if that wasn't enough - they actually ate and LEFT first! My sister had already made the comment I should just leave the money for the beer on the table and we should leave, but I was getting a headache from not eating and wanted to wait. FINALLY, about an hour after sitting down we got the sandwiches we ordered. Both sandwiches were good; my sister got the Greek Pasta Salad with hers which wasn't, plus it was a little too al dente. The potato salad I got with my sandwich was excellent, though I felt the size of my wrap sandwich was a bit small for the price.

Our check was brought to our table by a young man who simply laid it down and walked off, and with that little touch my sister said she wasn't leaving the waitress a tip. I told her I thought maybe her shift had ended and she was gone since I saw another waitress was now helping her table next to us that had been seated. Turned out that wasn't the case because our waitress actually resurfaced and came up to say “sorry the food took so long, the ticket fell behind the stove”. A wonderful excuse IF any of our food even required cooking after our order was placed. And, if THAT were the case, after waiting about an hour for two sandwiches, a MANAGER should have been the one to arrive with an apology and an explanation.

We got up and I stopped to pay our check. As I handed the check and money to our waitress, I told her I needed a receipt and she replied “okay”, but when she handed me my change, there was no receipt. I told her again I needed a receipt and that necessitated her turning to someone in the kitchen area and asking what to do “because now she wants a receipt”. Someone told her to tear off the paper tape on a calculator sitting next to the register and make a receipt. She started that but then didn't know what to do about the tax, had to ask again and was told her to just give me the food total. (I could overhear all of this from where I stood). I asked what the taxes where and upon being told by another waitress who had arrived “7%” told them to hit the total button, then the “x” button, put in 1.07 and hit total again. I got a blank look and at that time the phone rang. Our former waitress who was still in the middle of a transaction with me, picked it up and went around the other waitress standing at the register and sat down on a stool to take an order, completely ignoring me now. The other waitress finished what she was doing and turning to come out from the register saw me still standing there and turned to the kitchen area where she asked if someone could help me because I still wanted a receipt. At this point, I threw up my hands and saying forget it, turned and walked out of the restaurant.

The 'service' received from this waitress had me do something I haven't done in over 30 years – leave absolutely NO tip. Ironically, during this entire visit I was wearing my Trip Advisor cap...

6  Thank HMin